2018 F1 Constructor development/techFormula 1 

The same news on Motorsport.com seemed to suggest that Red Bull wouldn't be as likely to get the new parts due to where they are with the 3 units per season allocation. Both Ricciardo and Verstappen had to use their second engine units earlier than planned, so it would likely mean penalties to introduce a third already.

The same news on Motorsport.com seemed to suggest that Red Bull wouldn't be as likely to get the new parts due to where they are with the 3 units per season allocation. Both Ricciardo and Verstappen had to use their second engine units earlier than planned, so it would likely mean penalties to introduce a third already.

I think Verstappen signed out some new parts to avoid further (actual) penalties after starting from the pit lane in Monaco?

I found the story itself and it doesn't specifically mention Verstappen's situation actually:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-might-not-get-upgraded-engine-in-canada-1043415/?s=1

I don't think Red Bull would have put new parts in at Monaco since despite starting at the back, the penalties for those parts would take affect later in the season once the 4th parts were used. A new gearbox was definitely required though as that is what actually kept him from going out in qualifying. It may be though that with the number of other incidents Max has had this season, he could well have damaged engine components during some of those. Bahrain qualifying comes to mind first but I'm not sure it was a big enough impact really. And in fact, his retirements might actually mean his mileage is far lower than expected at this stage of the season...

He didn't start from the pitlane.

My mistake, nonetheless he started at the back. I can't find a source for him getting new engine bits so I guess I must have thought I heard it on the commentary somewhere :)

EDIT: Here we are. They're allowed two MGU-Ks in the season, Red Bull fitted a third for Verstappen at Monaco before the race.

Ricciardio will take a third in Canada after the obvious failure of his in the Monaco race.

Last edited:
220px-Gort_Firing.jpg

They will take some getting used to.

There is also a link at the end to another article about F1 adopting 18" wheels. If they do, I hope they will have something similar to the 2016 R18 wheels. Low-profile tires just don't look right on open-wheel cars.

upaud03.jpg

Last edited:

I mean you can mention it, if people want to talk about it they will. It's a 2019 thing so it's fine to bring up that typically happens here just for people to be aware of future rules.

As for the topic it's in a weird grey area where there really isn't a thread to put it.

There is also a link at the end to another article about F1 adopting 18" wheels. If they do, I hope they will have something similar to the 2016 R18 wheels. Low-profile tires just don't look right on open-wheel cars.

upaud03.jpg

I would really like those too, but yeah this is a constant back burner topic since it was first brought up some years ago and tested.

I would really like those too, but yeah this is a constant back burner topic since it was first brought up some years ago and tested.

I've read that Pirelli are pushing for this in F1, I'll see if I can find a source. Iirc they point out (obviously) that as the loads get higher and higher it becomes exponentially more difficult to build a tall sidewall that can cope without compromising the driveability of the whole carcass.

Although not official yet, Autosport is a strong source, I would expect Ricciardo's decision to happen soon now.

Redbull have the best chassis for medium to tight tracks easily this season, with the ability to make a tighter package with a works deal it should maintain that in the future, and Honda seems to have improved to the point it's around what Renault are at now anyway so it shouldn't be a backwards move at this point.

Can't remember if it was this thread or not & I can't be bothered looking for it but, someone posted the speedtraps from the Canadian GP. It made for interesting reading in so far as comparisons are concerned.

Now, a Scuderia Toro Rosso chassis isn't a Red Bull chassis but, IIRC the best top speeds between Gasly's STR & the Red Bulls were only around 10km/h in favour of the RBs.
Sure that can be swayed by wing levels, this, that & the other etc...
It's no secret that for the last 7,8 years the Red Bulls have never been the fastest in a straight line - even in their Title winning years.

What I find interesting if I crystal ball a little is this.
Renault have had 4+ seasons of development with the current engine formula & they've always been playing catch up. The engines from all makers are IMO, closer than they've ever been but, I still don't see Renault becoming the engine all teams want.
Ultimately, by being the 'last to the party', Honda have more potential to make significant gains & possibly become that engine that the other teams want.

I'll gladly admit I never would've thought that possible in 2017. After 3 years with McLaren, I'm not surprised they filed for divorce.

Murphy's Law has a funny way of upsetting predictions & how happy would team McLaren be now?
Having said all that, if Renault do find 50-100bhp & do it without hurting their reliability or economy, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

Murphy has a sick, twisted sense of humour & thinks that kind of thing is hilarious.

Ultimately what I don't want to see is, Daniel make a change to Merc or Ferrari, only to be passed on a straight by a powerful Honda-powered Red Bull :banghead:

I still feel this is a temporary step until Aston Martin are ready to supply an engine.

Yup agreed, though I wonder why they switched... maybe Honda offers a better financial option for engines over the now fairly good Renault engines?

It's a bit of a shame as this car seems to be pretty good and having to design around a new engine and then having that engine not be 100% makes title fights less likely... I also wonder if/how this affects Riccy's contract talks as it would seem unlikely they'll be in the title fight until at least 2020 and then you'd think Max'd still be the man?

I still feel this is a temporary step until Aston Martin are ready to supply an engine.

Aston Martin is not a big manufacturer so I wonder how they are going to foot th bill for developing an engine for the new regs. For me this Honda deal feels like a stopgap for Red Bull until Porsche enters as an engine supplier.

I feel like Aston was only used by RB to have more of a say in decisions on 2021 engine, and that there is no serious intention to join F1 by them

Why are they changing engine when they are doing so well with Renault right now ?

Because of how badly they're doing with Renault right now. They're sick of the mechanical failures and Renault seem no closer to making the 2018-spec MGU-K reliable enough to replace the 2016 evolution that they're still running.

Renault point out that RBR use a different fuel from the other Renault teams which accounts (they say) for Red Bull getting less power from the ICE. Hard to tell if that's the case as we'll never have good side-by-side figures.

Why are they changing engine when they are doing so well with Renault right now ?
As others said it would be a factory deal which is big. Two it means they probably pay less for engines and of wanted could help back Honda for 2021 rules.
Can't remember if it was this thread or not & I can't be bothered looking for it but, someone posted the speedtraps from the Canadian GP. It made for interesting reading in so far as comparisons are concerned.

Now, a Scuderia Toro Rosso chassis isn't a Red Bull chassis but, IIRC the best top speeds between Gasly's STR & the Red Bulls were only around 10km/h in favour of the RBs.
Sure that can be swayed by wing levels, this, that & the other etc...
It's no secret that for the last 7,8 years the Red Bulls have never been the fastest in a straight line - even in their Title winning years.

What I find interesting if I crystal ball a little is this.
Renault have had 4+ seasons of development with the current engine formula & they've always been playing catch up. The engines from all makers are IMO, closer than they've ever been but, I still don't see Renault becoming the engine all teams want.
Ultimately, by being the 'last to the party', Honda have more potential to make significant gains & possibly become that engine that the other teams want.

I'll gladly admit I never would've thought that possible in 2017. After 3 years with McLaren, I'm not surprised they filed for divorce.

Murphy's Law has a funny way of upsetting predictions & how happy would team McLaren be now?
Having said all that, if Renault do find 50-100bhp & do it without hurting their reliability or economy, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

Murphy has a sick, twisted sense of humour & thinks that kind of thing is hilarious.

Ultimately what I don't want to see is, Daniel make a change to Merc or Ferrari, only to be passed on a straight by a powerful Honda-powered Red Bull :banghead:
I would be considering how hard it is for Ferrari or Merc to gain even 5 to 10 horsepower. With the current claimed power output a 100 plus would put them over a thousand.

Also Murphy's law doesnt really stack against an actual law, the law of diminishing returns which all teams are probably dealing with to a large extent.

Ferrari are just bitter that their "wing with a tiny thread" was deemed illegal, when everyone else is running big supports which just so happen to affect the air passing around it... It's night and day difference, but little gains in F1 are obviously worth chasing. Whats more surprising to me is that all the teams seem to be running aero parts in and around the sidepods anyway, regardless of whether they are attached to the mirror itself or not. Surely there is no aero rule to break in this area. The Ferrari "wing" failed only because it was attached to the halo so it extended beyond the 20mm space allowed for aero shrouds.

Back