2018 F1 Constructor development/techFormula 1 

somewhat significant news from Ferrari.

Rats, I went and posted this in the Driver Thread.

Marchionne is no longer at Ferrari and will not return to work following 'complications from surgery'. The Agnelli family's John Elkann will take the chair while Louis Camilleri becomes Chief Exec. I think this is unlikely to change the strong "our way or no way" message from Ferrari F1 with regards to upcoming rule changes, thoughts?

More on this story at the BBC, not a lot more detail though.

So two important bits of news.

Force India are supposedly in the process of going into administration, and will then by bought by supposedly Lawrence Stroll.

It is being reported that Marchionne is in grave condition and currently in a coma after complications to a surgery he had last month. There are others also reporting that he is suffering from cancer as well.

Auto Bild saying that Stroll has bought the team

The story is being picked up and reported as definite fact by all the regurgitators. No official announcements from anybody yet or any coverage from any of the more credible outlets - Auto Bild can be a bit previous :D

The story is being picked up and reported as definite fact by all the regurgitators. No official announcements from anybody yet or any coverage from any of the more credible outlets - Auto Bild can be a bit previous :D

Yeah, Bild has a reputation as being a bit of a motorsport-themed Tabloid at times. I'll pay more attention when a more reputable source confirms this piece of news.

The team could be renamed from Force India to ForStroll (pronounced Forced Roll), just a thought until some actual news does/doesn't happen :D

More talk and insight into the Force India situation
https://www.motorsportweek.com/joeblogsf1/id/00275

Very well known former F1 engineer gives his take on what McLaren should do to fix their current woes
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/john-barnard-mclaren-should-change-its-f1-structure

Also the upgrade differences brought by Williams and Renault when comparing front wings
1532429850397.jpg

1532429859748.jpg

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/technical/2018/7/tech-tuesday--a-tale-of-two-front-wings.html

Given how much influence he carried in the paddock, I can't help but wonder how his absence will affect the direction the sport is going in over the long term. Not to mention what's going to happen with Ferrari, since his position is now split between two people and there's no singular, absolute authority at the top. Of course I don't think the world is going to flip upside down in the next week or anything, but it's something to keep an eye on regardless.

Given how much influence he carried in the paddock, I can't help but wonder how his absence will affect the direction the sport is going in over the long term. Not to mention what's going to happen with Ferrari, since his position is now split between two people and there's no singular, absolute authority at the top. Of course I don't think the world is going to flip upside down in the next week or anything, but it's something to keep an eye on regardless.

Split? Between whom?

I think his direction was a direct iteration of the Agnelli's wishes, I don't see that changing.

Split? Between whom?
Louis Camilleri (Ferrari board member and Phillip Morris CEO) was put in place as CEO, pending final shareholder approval, and John Elkann is chairman. Marchionne held both positions.

I think his direction was a direct iteration of the Agnelli's wishes, I don't see that changing.
Yeah, and Elkann is connected to the Agnellis as well if I remember correcctly, so I'm not expecting anything shocking. Not in the short term at least.

James Key has moved to Mclaren.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137623/toro-rosso-tech-chief-key-to-move-to-mclaren

This is Massive for Mclaren imo the best news for alongtime.
Was about to post this myself. I've for some years wanted to see Key move. He clearly didn't get the full ability (one is seemed to believe) to design and compete with those above. I just hope McLaren isn't a dead end like it has been.
@EngieDiesel thank. More so my point should have been that from the press release I posted on this thread it doesn't give the idea of two people doing the job.

Also I doubt it will effect Ferrari and the F1 team. The rebuild of the team is over and a clear road map is there. Arrivabene also has a massive over sight of the team and thus I wonder how much this will effect Sauber than anything.

Was about to post this myself. I've for some years wanted to see Key move. He clearly didn't get the full ability (one is seemed to believe) to design and compete with those above. I just hope McLaren isn't a dead end like it has been.
Probably the most underrated designer out there, always makes a car well beyond the budget of the team, this will be the first time he actually has top team money to make a car so this could be the big step Mclaren need to get out of the midfield, I am surprised Redbull didn't have a plan for him to be Newey's long term successor tbh.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/27...roceedings-to-close-force-india-over-4m-debt/
Damn, I mean I can see his point, but damn it just sounds so wrong.
What does 'going into administration' means for a F1 team? I think Manor went into administration, we know how it ended, but how does it work for a team mid-season?

As for McLaren/STR/Key thing, if STR really has a watertight contract til 2020, and they still snatch Norris.... and Honda comes good... damn McLaren :bowdown:
And yeah, Key won't probably even be allowed to sweep floors in STR/RBR buildings until 2020 :lol:

Regarding the Force India situation I’ve seen messages that a company called Rich energy put in a £30m cash injection into FI yet the courts still placed them into administration.

What’s possibly the craziest part about this is that Sergio Perez is one of the parties allegedly wanting the team placed into administration due to being owed £4m.

The other parties involved are Daimler/Mercedes who are allegedly owed £10m and BWT part of the story is the money paid to sponsor the team was in the form of a loan.

adb
https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/27...roceedings-to-close-force-india-over-4m-debt/
Damn, I mean I can see his point, but damn it just sounds so wrong.
What does 'going into administration' means for a F1 team? I think Manor went into administration, we know how it ended, but how does it work for a team mid-season?

As for McLaren/STR/Key thing, if STR really has a watertight contract til 2020, and they still snatch Norris.... and Honda comes good... damn McLaren :bowdown:
And yeah, Key won't probably even be allowed to sweep floors in STR/RBR buildings until 2020 :lol:
That’s a good point...of RB can snatch both Honda and Norris from McLaren, that’s a double wammy if I’ve ever seen one.

Pure driver talk so off topic now....but the prospect of seeing Lando and Max go head to head at RB is quite tantalizing.

What’s possibly the craziest part about this is that Sergio Perez is one of the parties allegedly wanting the team placed into administration due to being owed £4m.

If somebody's owed money they're owed money. The administrators will seek to find a buyer who can settle debts as part of their acquisition, if that can't be done (I think it will, and I suspect the FI board already know who) then the assets will be broken up and sold to settle as many debts as possible. It's the norm for creditors to accept an offer (ie as 70% of the original debt) in order to get something back.

My own feeling is that this is a technical step to wipe out as much debt as possible in the company before they're purchased/rebranded.

Regarding the Force India situation I’ve seen messages that a company called Rich energy put in a £30m cash injection into FI yet the courts still placed them into administration.

The other parties involved are Daimler/Mercedes who are allegedly owed £10m and BWT part of the story is the money paid to sponsor the team was in the form of a loan.

Was a bit busy but it's funny that this was brought up. Rich Energy for those of who can recall, were the supposed initial interested party in buying FI back when they were on death's door, end of last year and into the winter. Now as said be Disco, they have made this tweet which seems very heated and also quite false in claim.

http://www.f1i.com/news/299430-rich-energy-force-india-much-ado-nothing.html

Yes Sergio Perez is one of them because he hasn't been paid, thus he wants what he was promised in his contract. Which is probably why the move to Haas rumors are quite strong.

The others are also supposedly true and it's not too surprising that they too want their money. This isn't the first time a modern team has supposedly owed money. And Sergio and Hulk has had this issue prior supposedly with their last team (Sauber). https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/force-india-also-seem-to-owe-hulkenberg-money/ (in regards to being owed money form Sauber and FI). Breach of contract is a standard reason for drivers to jump ship and also take a team to task.

Now however, I will say this on Rich Energy while the info they have which many others do as well, it seems to be a ploy to create publicity. They claim to have given a cash injection that would be quite helpful, if it actually existed. Unless Rich Energy made 30 mil + between last September to now, there is no way this info is true. Nor is the more dubious claim of being able to buy said team for 280 million.

Here is a table of their values in 2016 and 2017, that show in no mathematical way could they have ever afforded to buy the team, much less put them on life support until someone could buy them.

DjI2LkPWwAUKANm.jpeg

See, I have no idea why Red Bull doesn't just buy the team and call it 'Teem Laal Saand Mercedes', extending their marketing to India somehow and getting another 20-or-so percent coverage on the TV. Seems about as logical as anything else in this context.

Here is a table of their values in 2016 and 2017, that show in no mathematical way could they have ever afforded to buy the team, much less put them on life support until someone could buy them.

DjI2LkPWwAUKANm.jpeg

That seems to be a parent shell, looking at the value in intangibles I suspect it's for holding trademarks and patents. As you'll see from the other filings at Companies House there are only 150 shares divided between the three directors. The big money (and they definitely have that) will be spread across sub-companies in other territories.

Latest Posts

Back