2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
I know it's early doors but what the hell are England doing?! Their passing has been absolutely shocking.

To be fair, Sweden look pretty weak - but at least we now have a game on our hands!!

After Colombia it became very apparent that this England isn't going to beat France or Belgium. I think that even Russia* or Croatia might be too much.

*They're on drugs.

After Colombia it became very apparent that this England isn't going to beat France or Belgium. I think that even Russia* or Croatia might be too much.

*They're on drugs.
I think you'll find not many of us think we would stand a chance against France, Belgium or Croatia.

*They're on drugs.
One thing is for certain, there are whole bunch of teams who have zero chance of beating those four because they are sat at home. If we manage to scrape past Sweden at least we'll have a chance however slim.

I think you'll find not many of us think we would stand a chance against France, Belgium or Croatia.

But you have to admire the optimism of the 'it's coming home' crowd, after only beating Panama and Tunisia.

But I'm still convinced something that can't be made public is going on in the Russian squad, and that will become a scandal in a couple of years from now.

If we manage to scrape past Sweden at least we'll have a chance however slim.

If there ever was a chance for an absolute outsider to get to the final, it's this tournament, and that's not bad at all.

But you have to admire the optimism of the 'it's coming home' crowd, after only beating Panama and Tunisia.

But I'm still convinced something that can't be made public is going on in the Russian squad, and that will become a scandal in a couple of years from now.
Are a nations fans not allowed to get carried away and have a bit of hope for their team?

Sterling really showing his class towards the end there. Some real world class finishing and decision-making on display. What a player.

Get Sterling off! Ball greedy useless donkey!
On a same opportunity he had at he end of first half, Neymar and Mbappé would have dive when the goal keeper deflected the ball. At least Sterling staid on his feet and had a second opportunity - which he played badly indeed.

After a very nervous start, England have slowly but surely taken control of the game - Sweden are there for the taking.

But I am still at a loss as to why Southgate persists with some players - Sterling is causing the defense problems, but he is taking far too long on the ball and isn't creating chances for anyone else... that could prove very costly. Dele Alli has been terrible - don't know if he is injured or what, but my Mum would be more effective in his place. Lingard - is he actually playing or just there for show? Young needs to be more aggressive.

That said, the rest are doing pretty well - Trippier has been good, Maguire is very useful, and Kane looks threatening whenever he gets the ball - he's just not getting enough of it.

One major positive thing - although both teams are understandably very nervous, the game has been played in a very good spirit - both teams are disciplined and (mostly) respectful, and there is even some camaraderie between the teams, which is a rare thing, especially at this level. I hope it continues, not least to further embarrass the absolute disgraces we've seen in some other games.

Second half is shaping up to be very tasty 👍

On a same opportunity he had at he end of first half, Neymar and Mbappé would have dive when the goal keeper deflected the ball. At least Sterling staid on his feet and had a second opportunity - which he played badly indeed.
Yes, that is something that should be noted and applauded!

Sterling looks like he has an electronic toll tag for the swedish defensive line, he still hasn't figured out how to beat the keeper or how to pass the ball to a free teammate has he?

After a very nervous start, England have slowly but surely taken control of the game - Sweden are there for the taking.

But I am still at a loss as to why Southgate persists with some players - Sterling is causing the defense problems, but he is taking far too long on the ball and isn't creating chances for anyone else... that could prove very costly. Dele Alli has been terrible - don't know if he is injured or what, but my Mum would be more effective in his place. Lingard - is he actually playing or just there for show? Young needs to be more aggressive.

That said, the rest are doing pretty well - Trippier has been good, Maguire is very useful, and Kane looks threatening whenever he gets the ball - he's just not getting enough of it.

One major positive thing - although both teams are understandably very nervous, the game has been played in a very good spirit - both teams are disciplined and (mostly) respectful, and there is even some camaraderie between the teams, which is a rare thing, especially at this level. I hope it continues, not least to further embarrass the absolute disgraces we've seen in some other games.

Second half is shaping up to be very tasty 👍

Yes, that is something that should be noted and applauded!
Pretty much spot on. Think it will come down to who handles the nerves the best.

That was a proper save by Pickford.

This game needs a Swedish goal.

Last edited:
Back