2018 Formula 1 launchesFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 294 comments
I want to see Honda break out this year. I want to everyone to be shock and disbelief how Honda coming out fighting. :D
This year in general is full of really good potential and we usually say that every year but there are some major changes this time that really mean something.

-McLaren using tried and true Renault power. Knowing what Red Bull can do with it just imagine what McLaren's technology can come up with
-Williams getting a true Paddy Lowe designed car. Oh, they also have Mercedes power and have always been reliable in that regard. A more aero designed package from Lowe has a lot of potential to be stronger on more tracks.
-Sauber has the current year's Ferrari engine for the first time. It won't be exactly the same but they should be able to push forward in the mid-field now
-Honda getting a chance with a new team and like guy above said getting to do what they want sounds promising.

All in all the mid-field should be a much more exciting place to watch this year and we may have 3 or even 4 teams having championship-contending cars. One more month or until Melbourne!

This year in general is full of really good potential and we usually say that every year but there are some major changes this time that really mean something.

-McLaren using tried and true Renault power. Knowing what Red Bull can do with it just imagine what McLaren's technology can come up with
You mean that Mclaren's potential is bigger than RBR's? I doubt it honestly

*Notices Honda badge*

I thought F1.com made another mistake when I read that a few days ago. So I guess the only thing Toro Rosso is going to feed Red Bull is...disappointment?

Want to feel even worse?

The original plan for this year's car was to run a version of Red Bull's old suspension. When the engine supplier swap happened, that went out the window and a whole new rear end had to be designed (naturally, because new engine).

And with Kyvat and Sainz gone, they've got probably the most inexperienced and slowest driver line-up on the grid (at the moment).

Whee.

I'd be very surprised if Haas and McLaren don't leapfrog them in the standings.

f1-mercedes-amg-f1-w09-launch-2018-valtteri-bottas-mercedes-amg-f1-w09-7586331.jpg

There's also a leaked picture doing rounds on Twitter of the Mclaren being loaded or unloaded at Pamplona Airport. Its just a glimpse (as the sheeting only reveals parts of it) but looks good so far

Redbull and Mercedes have alot more going on infront of the sidepods compared to the others soo far, also Saubers side pod intake is tiny, that surely would give them a good drag advantage if it works.

New Ferrari is entirely red, without the white that the Santander sponsorship had brought in past years. Looks nice, but a little bare in my opinion. The engine cover doesn’t have the Scuderia Ferrari logo (Do they still have Phillip Morris sponsorship?), instead having nothing.

The "ducted" wing mirrors look interesting! Their 2017 sidepod styling returns and turned up to 11.

Then they have also copied the front wing mounting pylons from McLaren, and the lower T-Wing from Williams... And possibly "taken inspiration" from Mercedes monocoque wings along the nose. I think they had something similar there last season though.

Did anyone actually put a stick up their ass long enough to watch that entire Mercedes Reveal nonsense? Seriously they could not toot their own horn any harder... 30 second timer at the start, then minutes of light show stuff... C'mon. Two minutes, take a cover off, rotate the car a bit. It's all we need.

Want to feel even worse?

The original plan for this year's car was to run a version of Red Bull's old suspension. When the engine supplier swap happened, that went out the window and a whole new rear end had to be designed (naturally, because new engine).

And with Kyvat and Sainz gone, they've got probably the most inexperienced and slowest driver line-up on the grid (at the moment).

Whee.

I'd be very surprised if Haas and McLaren don't leapfrog them in the standings.
If Mclaren don't finish ahead of Haas and Toro Rosso at the end of the year, that would not only be a huge embarrassment but also a monumental failure.

View attachment 716222
That's really complicated in front of the sidepods

Yeah I love how aggressive and mean the Merc looks... so far it's my fav looking car of the bunch

I wish Mercedes had kept more of the Petronas mint green in the livery. Seems they are going for a completely silver look which makes it slightly blander than previous years.

The cars this year all look like they haven't been finished without a shark fin or a T-Wing
Yeah, I really don't like those "sliced" fins, it should be either full shark fin or nothing, just a smooth engine cover

T-wings aren't exactly gone, front teams never let up that's for sure.

adb
Yeah, I really don't like those "sliced" fins, it should be either full shark fin or nothing, just a smooth engine cover

The engine covers with the trailing were this way before the shark fin as well, I posted a picture of a FW34 a page or two back, you'll see the same design trait. They've just gone back to the status quo that was set before the second round of shark wings and the first round of them. It's been a design quality since the 00s.

So what if that's how it was before, why not have it written in the regulations that all size fins on the engine cover are banned. I agree they would look hella sleek without it

T-wings aren't exactly gone, front teams never let up that's for sure.
Yep, Ferrari even has one on launch spec SF71

The engine covers with the trailing were this way before the shark fin as well, I posted a picture of a FW34 a page or two back, you'll see the same design trait. They've just gone back to the status quo that was set before the second round of shark wings and the first round of them. It's been a design quality since the 00s.
You're right, I just remembered Red Bull not using it before and jumped to conclusion

adb
Yep, Ferrari even has one on launch spec SF71

So does Mercedes.

So what if that's how it was before, why not have it written in the regulations that all size fins on the engine cover are banned. I agree they would look hella sleek without it

So clearly there is a reason for them, like better yaw control and trying to help with certain moments to have better stability at more demanding circuits. Sleek doesn't solve these aero problems...

No but why should we be making it easier on them? It's Formula 1. Take things away and watch them come up with ingenious solutions They always do.

Just so you all know, I really don't care one way or another, just being devil's advocate about this.

No but why should we be making it easier on them? It's Formula 1. Take things away and watch them come up with ingenious solutions They always do.

Just so you all know, I really don't care one way or another, just being devil's advocate about this.

No one made it easier on them, a lot of surface area was just eliminated to actually make it harder on them... I mean if that's the case why not take away the front and rear wing and dive plane/barge boards that clean up the aero around the car and see how well they do with 900-1000hp nearly spinning around the track and diminished speeds...

Also doesn't seem to be devil's advocate, it seems quite one sided. You have an idea (whatever year that is) of an F1 car design, and it's being explained to you why that doesn't quite work for the modern era, simply by saying "do this". Sure they could rid of the extra plane of vertical material used to stabilize the car, but it comes at a cost.

Back