2018 Formula 1 launchesFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 294 comments
You've successfully baited me into going off topic but 2005?

1920px-Olivier_Panis_-_Ligier_JS39B_at_the_1994_British_Grand_Prix_%2832541359735%29.jpg

The Renault looks gorgeous, to my eyes. Those elegant sidepods, the wasp-waisted body. Loverly loverly loverly.

Not sure they're doing enough in terms of aero, but going by the "pretty cars are usually fast" rule...

Sauber's sidepods... wish we could get a better look. Are the inlets really as small as they look? Lots of interesting curves and surfaces facing the wind at the front of those sidepods.

The Red Bull has very, very thin sidepods. The wings on top of them extend quite a bit further out, which I assume gets the sidepods to the regulated size.

If you look to the right hand side of the car at how much further the wings stand out.

9D19C4B6-9847-436D-A4D2-8C9BA78EB1B8.jpeg

And in this screen cap from the engine start up vid, you can see the side pods hardly bulge out from the main part of the car. The sides are almost like a flat surface compared to previous years.
AFDC0E1D-9FEB-4072-BCDA-3DAEC65497FD.jpeg

Last edited:
The Red Bull has very, very thin sidepods. The wings on top of them extend quite a bit further out, which I assume gets the sidepods to the regulated size.

If you look to the right hand side of the car at how much further the wings stand out.

View attachment 716027

And in this screen cap from the engine start up vid, you can see the side pods hardly bulge out from the main part of the car. The sides are almost like a flat surface compared to previous years.
View attachment 716028
This shape should reduce drag and clean up air flow without really affecting downforce, no?
Hope they didn’t overdo it and didn’t mess up cooling

The Renault looks gorgeous, to my eyes. Those elegant sidepods, the wasp-waisted body. Loverly loverly loverly.

Not sure they're doing enough in terms of aero, but going by the "pretty cars are usually fast" rule...

Sauber's sidepods... wish we could get a better look. Are the inlets really as small as they look? Lots of interesting curves and surfaces facing the wind at the front of those sidepods.

That have two openings similar to last years Ferrari but smaller. So the general side pod opening we see is to the front but then you have another inlet further back on the main side pod to feed in air. I think they're trying to find a way to get air to the back nicely with a more narrow package due to how much the rear tires come into play now.

adb
This shape should reduce drag and clean up air flow without really affecting downforce, no?
Hope they didn’t overdo it and didn’t mess up cooling

Hopefully not, but it wouldn't be the first time with RBR to go for a slim package and result in cooling issues.

Aerodynamics. Less frontal surface area=better drag coefficient.

IMO, Drag is defined as a product, Frontal Area multiplied by the Coefficient of Drag. The coefficient of drag is determined by shape. A square box has a coefficient of 1, and a teardrop a coefficient of 0.1.

IMO, Drag is defined as a product, Frontal Area multiplied by the Coefficient of Drag. The coefficient of drag is determined by shape. A square box has a coefficient of 1, and a teardrop a coefficient of 0.1.
Everything has a drag coefficient. This is then multiplied by the area. So Less frontal area means less Drag Force, which matters.

Hopefully aarava can do something with that one picture, low quality as it is.

Nothing official today, but the two big ones are tomorrow

*Notices Honda badge*

I thought F1.com made another mistake when I read that a few days ago. So I guess the only thing Toro Rosso is going to feed Red Bull is...disappointment?

There are two options:

1) Honda continues to make garbage engines and Torro Rosso is in for a disastrous season.
2) Going with Alonso's brilliant ability to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Honda will break the curse and suddenly produce a field-beating engine and Torro Rosso will somehow win the WDC based on its strength.

I think 2 is a bit of a stretch for first year but seeing them contend at top of mid-field out of the gate and possibly hold 4th or 5th in the Constructor's Title throughout the year would be heartbreaking for Alonso.......if McLaren-Renault doesn't work out this year that is.

I take it the RB13's nose is setting the trend for this year's aero.

Honda should be better this year. They were stuck with McLaren's size zero philosophy which restricted the size of the engine, and Honda were unable to cope. Now, Honda have told Toro Rosso to design around their design and it should be better because Honda are making it how they want.

I think 2 is a bit of a stretch for first year but seeing them contend at top of mid-field out of the gate and possibly hold 4th or 5th in the Constructor's Title throughout the year would be heartbreaking for Alonso.......if McLaren-Renault doesn't work out this year that is.

Yep, my second option was really just in jest and was simply powered by the atrociously bad career timing/movement of Alonso - something Hamilton seems to do the opposite of (going to the right places at the right times). I agree the most you could realistically expect is - as you stated - Torro Rosso becoming competitive, perhaps even on par with McLaren, etc.

Would be awesome to see Honda making a huge step, also will be interesting to see what STR can do with Honda funding

There are two options:

1) Honda continues to make garbage engines and Torro Rosso is in for a disastrous season.
2) Going with Alonso's brilliant ability to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Honda will break the curse and suddenly produce a field-beating engine and Torro Rosso will somehow win the WDC based on its strength.
If 2) happens & Alonso is passed in a drag race by a Honda engines STR, someone should keep the razor blades away from Fernando.

Sorry, but you guys missed best angle on the Sauber. That rear end... (Not a euphemism) :drool::drool::drool:

Heck, I'd say the Sauber is the best looking car so far, it actually doesn't pull off the Halo too bad, those fairings kinda help. Other wise I'm liking the weirdly flat nose.

Mclaren apparently hinted that their then more "radical" livery will hark back to the older full orange designs, so eager to see how it looks.

Back