2018 Heineken Chinese Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments
Kind of dickish of you to suggest that the 4 time world champion can't question his teams ridiculous race strategy. No one puts a mic on you when your off collecting bottles and cans or whatever you do for a living.

Didn't know Simon Lazenby drove for Mercedes.

Hopefully without penalties afterwards but why is no one discussing the battle between Alonso and Vettel? BTW I personally like soem agressive battles :)

For Dutch reporter Lewis says this performance was his own fault?
He keeps the team doors closed and not blaming the team strategists?
Very different for me. Alonso managed to get ahead through the corner and was ahead on corner exit. Bit naughty to squeeze Seb as much as he did but legit IMO.

Verstappen still finishes ahead of Vettel with the 10 seconds.

Vettel must be raging!
When you see someone like Lewis Hamilton lifting off and letting pass Max on the outside it's the end of the sport.

This situation is not so different from Marquez in MotoGp. These guys are allowed to do basically everything they want, penaties are nowhere near enough to make them pay for what they do. F1 situation is even worse because it least MotoGp chraged Marc 30 seconds, enugh to make him scoring no points. Max got only 10 seconds which is a complete joke. Of course he will do it again.

Good to hear Max's admitted his mistake. 2 weeks break now, hope he will sit down and realise he's just thrown away 3 races. Hope he can calm down, but still remain exciting somehow.
FWIW I believe his racing in 2016 and 2017 was acceptable

Twitter wastes no time.
Daz1ag1X0AEzc-g.jpg:large

Have to say, Merc dropped the ball no pitting Lewis with the Red Bulls, that said, his poor quali performance put him out of contention. He should have qualified better than Bottas and then been in a position to split the ferrari’s. Instead he’s nowhere...

Hope he can pick himself up as the title fight is getting tight!

adb
Good to hear Max's admitted his mistake. 2 weeks break now, hope he will sit down and realise he's just thrown away 3 races. Hope he can calm down, but still remain exciting somehow.
FWIW I believe his racing in 2016 and 2017 was acceptable
He crashed into Seb, smashing his car but still getting way ahead of him thanks to joke penalties. No point saying sorry when the race is over. He should have waited him as people do in online racing. :lol:

Have to say, Merc dropped the ball no pitting Lewis with the Red Bulls, that said, his poor quali performance put him out of contention. He should have qualified better than Bottas and then been in a position to split the ferrari’s. Instead he’s nowhere...

he even said it himself his qualifying was much to blame, and put alot of the blame on him rather than the team.

He crashed into Seb, smashing his car but still getting way ahead of him thanks to joke penalties. No point saying sorry when the race is over. He should have waited him as people do in online racing. :lol:
I would ban him for life from any racetrack

I’m sure Seb cares about whether he finishes P7 or P8. He accepted apologies, he did worse himself, he doesn’t cry about penalties.
Max has finally thrown away a win, it will make him change his approach more than any penalty would. On top of that stewards made sure he won’t get even a podium.
Case closed IMO

Thanks to Maldonado Jr, he actually gained points on Seb.

Spare a thought for Daniel Ricciardo's face, his cheeks must be killing him....

Driver of the day has to be the safety car for giving us a race
I wonder at how the exact timing for calling the safety car was done. It seemed to have been timed so that Ferrari and Mercedes missed the opportunity to pit, but Red Bull had the perfect timing to be the first to react.

That race was amazing. Finally 3 teams and 6 drivers fighting for the championship. There were multiple drivers who could have won throughout the whole race. Ricciardo was patient and let the whole world see he is a future worldchampion. It would not surprise me we will be seeing him in a Ferrari seat in 2019.

Sadly Verstappen was way too eager when he realised he could win the race. I am 100% confident he learns from this mistake and pick his spots and be more patient. You could see the shame and regret in postinterviews. This is the first time he really made an obvious mistake, where past incidents were "on the limit" and also to my recollection the first time admitting he made a stupid mistake. If not for this mistake, it would have been 1. verstappen, 2. Ricciardo.

I also really liked Vettel's reaction to the incident after Max's immediate apology. He was going to let Max past anyway (better tires) and told him he threw away a podium place. This shows real respect from both.

Hopefully this will be a turning point for him and will be the start of a climb to the top of the leaderboard for the rest of the season.

Verstappen lost the race when he didn't back off when he wasn't ever going to pass Hamilton on the outside of turn 7 to 8.
That was a risky move, but I believe if Hamilton saw him, he would have let him past. The mistake that lost his verstappen's race, was breaking too late in the Vettel overtake. If you watch the replay back, there was enough room for the overtake if he just clipped that apex better. He was way too impatient and lost his concentration. The move was good, but the execution really bad.

That was a risky move, but I believe if Hamilton saw him, he would have let him past. The mistake that lost his verstappen's race, was breaking too late in the Vettel overtake. If you watch the replay back, there was enough room for the overtake if he just clipped that apex better. He was way too impatient and lost his concentration. The move was good, but the execution really bad.
The fact is he was already behind Ricciardo at that point i don't think he would of been able to get past him seeing as they where on the same tyres and Ricciardo would of had first dibs on overtaking those ahead making a healthy advantage by the time Verstappen clears them.

The fact is he was already behind Ricciardo at that point i don't think he would of been able to get past him seeing as they where on the same tyres and Ricciardo would of had first dibs on overtaking those ahead making a healthy advantage by the time Verstappen clears them.
Yeah you're right, but still he would have been very happy with p2 as well.

Just watched the race replay. Estatic to see Danny on the Top Step again, I still remember yelling with excitement like a madman when he overtook Hamilton in Canada 2014, so any victory by him makes me happy. That being said, the Shoey is still nasty as hell, and that had to have been the quietest cooldown room ever.

After watching Vettel and Max comment of their incident, I have mixed feelings. It looks like Vettels car gripped up after corner apex and Max wasn't expecting that, which made him lock up and cause the collision. Vettel even admitted that he was expecting Max to make a move earlier than he did. That being said, Max needs to calm the eff down. He's been way too wild over the past 3 races. It's also his 4th season in F1 so the whole "oh, he's young and inexperienced" argument holds no water imo. Max is fast enough to be WDC, but not until he calms down a bit.

Definetly gutted for Valterri and Vettel the most. Both drove great races, and probably could've won, Bottas if not for the safety car, and Vettel if not for both the saftey car and the incident. Also, Hamilton was suprisingly absent during the race. It seems he's not been as competitive in these past 3 races. He's doing well, but is farther down the order than I would expect. Also, props to Alonso and Hulk for their performaces today.

Overall, a very good race, and a surprisingly good Chinese GP. China for me is usually kind of a bore, so a little excitement here was nice to see.

Last edited:
When Hamilton gets frustrated he can't do anything. It's great for everyone else.

Some context for the Shoey is that Ricciardo doesn't like the flavor of champagne and the taste of the foot sweat actually makes it a sweeter overall flavor that's more "bearable" for him to drink. If you believe that.

Back