2018 Heineken Chinese Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments
Some context for the Shoey is that Ricciardo doesn't like the flavor of champagne and the taste of the foot sweat actually makes it a sweeter overall flavor that's more "bearable" for him to drink. If you believe that.

I can understand that. It's still nasty as hell, though. :lol:

Totally but if it tastes good I gues just close your eyes and make the crowd happy right? :lol:

Baku is next and being a street circuit I expect it to be back to boring with the racing but certainly someone in the field will try and cause a caution for debris or something.

Great win for Riciardo! I very much like his driving since he got in F1. On the other side I hate the Verstappen's driving style when racing alongside others. And today he did again harm Vettle, continuing his last year habit. But the responsibles for Verstappen's behaviour are the FIA who don't act as they should. Verstappen's dangerous driving for the 4th year in F1 deserved at least 3 black flags. If they had done so, he would have become more mature and responsible for sure. Especially the todays punishment that resulted in him gatting more points than the victim of the collision he caused was more than ridiculous imho. I know Max has some fans and I respect that and them as they see a new star in him (and I agree that he has the potential) but to let someone act so unresponsible on track with speeds close to 300km/h and not punished properly is simply bad for the sport and the upcoming driver generations.

Some context for the Shoey is that Ricciardo doesn't like the flavor of champagne and the taste of the foot sweat actually makes it a sweeter overall flavor that's more "bearable" for him to drink. If you believe that.
Or not.

Classic Sky. Especially this guy. Always a genius after the fact.

Didn't Brundle say at the time that RBR pitted that he (meaning Brundle) wouldn't want to trade track position for tires? Because Di Resta said they should have.

All of it because you'e misread Ricciardo's quote on it completely. Good job.
I coulda sworn he said it makes it taste better to him since he doesn't normally like the taste of champagne. Damn, where's the original quote?

So, looks like Alonso is still in the clear for closing the door on Vettel? Looked like tight racing, couldn't quite put the blame on him. Definitely sounded like Vettel just being overly upset and clearly lacking in spirit (who wouldn't though?) when he complained on the radio. Really amazed Verstappen built enough gap to still come ahead. I think he still came in behind Ham though.

Also, might as well mention Nico Hulkenberg. For a driver that has won Le Mans, it has always felt like he has lagged behind in F1. The fact he got lucky and actually took advantage of the opportunity was something at least.

Definitely China GP>Bahrain GP!

Why not? Vettel isn't like Schumacher and they worked together before. I am not aware of any issues between them?
Ricciardo outperformed Vettel in the one year they were teammates, but Vettel has said that he wouldn't mind Ricciardo being his teammate at Ferrari.

Vettel has said that he wouldn't mind Ricciardo being his teammate at Ferrari.

Indeed. The question is whether or not Ricciardio would accept a default #2 status (he wouldn't, and nor would Vettel). Ferrari are unlikely to change from their normal team orders strategy just to have two fast drivers. Far safer to have compliance.

Indeed. The question is whether or not Ricciardio would accept a default #2 status (he wouldn't, and nor would Vettel). Ferrari are unlikely to change from their normal team orders strategy just to have two fast drivers. Far safer to have compliance.
The way they've been handling Raikkonen should be obvious enough. He's been equal to or better than Vettel all year and they've been giving him the short end of the stick.

It's taken several years but Kimi has finally decided to start being fast again...right before he has to throw the towel in cause he's old.

It's taken several years but Kimi has finally decided to start being fast again...right before he has to throw the towel in cause he's old.

He'll be back to his old self again soon enough.

Caught up with the race this morning. And I haven't read the majority of the thread because I fell way too far behind. So...
  • Red Bull took advantage when the time was right, and Ricciardo drove properly for the win. Max did not, and that may have cost him a win and a Red Bull 1-2.
  • Merc was once again unlucky with the safety car, I wouldn't say they totally botched the call. I think it was too late to pull in Bottas, but I would be curious to know if they missed a chance to bring in Hamilton. Regardless, they are currently leading the Constructors' Points.
  • Ferrari made Kimi sacrifice his race to give Seb a better chance at winning. Came back for a podium and out - finished Seb :D
  • Double points for Renault. Cool 👍
  • What happened to Toro Rosso this weekend? Bad weekend? Or is this the genuine pace of the car?
  • Probably the unpopular opinion: I don't think Max's move was totally uncalled for. I think Seb missed the corner and turned in too quickly too late. Watching from the onboard, I can see why Max went for the move.
All in all, exciting race. Good to see Ricciardo grab a win. On to Baku.

Max is making bold moves and Vettel could have reacted to the late lunge just as Hamilton did when Ricciardo got him. Shut up with this focusing on the apex thing. When they're that close you can see them in your actual peripheral vision
You know this from all the F1 experience you have? What was it like racing against Brundle?

Exactly. Why does no one criticize Ricciardo for that move when iriwas equally risky? Because he made it work. That's messed up to me
Umm...? Not sure what else to say other than, welcome to life on planet earth.

Do something risky and pull it off, you’re a hero.

Do something risky and fail, your a zero.

It’s this basic idea that spawned the phrase “hero to zero”.

:lol: seriously dude, you should just stop posting. All you’re doing is annoying people who understand racing ;)

You know this from all the F1 experience you have? What was it like racing against Brundle?

Umm...? Not sure what else to say other than, welcome to life on planet earth.

Do something risky and pull it off, you’re a hero.

Do something risky and fail, your a zero.

It’s this basic idea that spawned the phrase “hero to zero”.

:lol: seriously dude, you should just stop posting. All you’re doing is annoying people who understand racing ;)
Oh no I'm triggered... Lol

Unfortunately, Daddy duties kicked in halfway through the race, and had to follow the GP commentary while driving. Which isn't easy to do.

All I can say is: FINALLY. Ricciardo deserves that completely

And any goodwill Max has built over the past season is finally out the window. Three weekends in a row where he's done goofed from over-driving it. And in this one, he lost position to Ricciardo and THEN almost DNF'ed himself with two boners in a row. Get a grip, man.

Inspired strategy by Merc, almost got Bottas the win. But that missed opportunity for a pitstop in line with the Red Bulls... the organization is showing a lack of adaptability. But Lewis could also take the initiative. If that was Button out there, he would've dive-bombed the pits before anyone else. It's not like Lewis stops driving when things get difficult... it's just that he doesn't have that initiative.

I don't think Ferrari were intentionally screwing Kimi with that strategy more as their calculations were all completely off for both drivers. Good weekend for Kimi, he deserved that podium. And so did Vettel, to be honest, till Merc undercut him and Max shunted him.

Also, that Toro Rosso collision. The team went from hero to zero this weekend.

Great solid drive from the Hulk.

Good job McLaren managing those stops, giving their drivers the tools they needed to overcome a so-so qualifying session.

As an aside, are we all happy that Alonso is the highest scoring non-Big Three driver? And that he has more points than Crash Verstappen? Yes? Good.

So bummed I only caught bits and pieces of the action, hoping to catch a replay later.

If there's one thing worse than a Mercedes snooze fest, it's a Ferrari snooze fest. We've had 5 straight years of those back in the early 00s, I promised myself not to endure that ever again. Gave up after the first round of pitstops. so I got caught up on various racing series on youtube instead... checked the highlights and realised I should have stayed til the end. Is it finally the year when F1 stops being a boring procession, or were the last two races just flukes?

If there's one thing worse than a Mercedes snooze fest, it's a Ferrari snooze fest. We've had 5 straight years of those back in the early 00s, I promised myself not to endure that ever again. Gave up after the first round of pitstops. so I got caught up on various racing series on youtube instead... checked the highlights and realised I should have stayed til the end. Is it finally the year when F1 stops being a boring procession, or were the last two races just flukes?
I don’t know about fluke....China has a history of SCs....but it was definitely the SC that made this race exciting. Without the SC, you wouldn’t have missed much.

Now, that’s all fine and dandy, I don’t really have issue with SCs myself. However, there’s at least a debate that could be had over why a full SC was called instead of just a VSC. On top of that, like after any F1 race where an SC plays a role, people are discussing, “how can we prevent the SC from impacting the race.”

So, based on the 1st half of the race, when cars were on much more similar tires, and not a single one of them could stay close enough to one another to even think about a pass - in China, a track known for high numbers of overtakes thanks to the back straight drs zone - I would be cautious thinking the processional racing is over.

Back