2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Organ-Donor
  • 1,545 comments
So you're telling me that not only are we at risk of seeing one of those hideous things out in the wild but we are also likely to have to watch it race for 24 hours? Ew.
Yes the unholy abomination may get a racing version (very much would rather have the 720S which is clean looking car, that or the mentioned BP23).

There is always hope that a race version looks better...maybe...kinda...sorta...

I hope so, cause that car looks more like a car with a too-big bodykit on than a proper track/hypercar. Like when a cat wears a human coat.

So happy to see Zanardi still out there chasing. The late 90's CART era was possibly the very best of Indy car racing ever. It hasn't touched it since in my opinion. His crash was heartbreaking.

The BMW drivers are all well known names - good to go I'd think. I'm anticipating the GT competition at LeMans this year. If Ford brings four....Porsche said they're bringing four...I'd assume BMW will be running 2-4 of their new cars. This could be a serious GT throw down. If only someone would champion the always-competitive Ferrari cars to run 2-4 of them instead of the recent solo efforts.

So happy to see Zanardi still out there chasing. The late 90's CART era was possibly the very best of Indy car racing ever. It hasn't touched it since in my opinion. His crash was heartbreaking.

The BMW drivers are all well known names - good to go I'd think. I'm anticipating the GT competition at LeMans this year. If Ford brings four....Porsche said they're bringing four...I'd assume BMW will be running 2-4 of their new cars. This could be a serious GT throw down. If only someone would champion the always-competitive Ferrari cars to run 2-4 of them instead of the recent solo efforts.

It wouldn't be the first time BMW has teamed up with Zanardi to do this tiype of thing so I'm just glad they keep working with him and have confidence since he's shown he still has the ability.

Last edited:
Fantastic news, cannot wait to see him at Daytona next year. :D
Alex Zanardi will be running the 2019 Rolex 24 with BMW. First thought when I saw this is "I wish he could have entered the 2018 running too".

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/146324-zanardi-to-enter-2019-rolex-24-in-modified-bmw
To be fair, the M8 GTE is literally a brand new car and the 2018 Rolex 24 will be its first race. Before they outfit one of the cars (or a third to run alongside the regular season cars) with hand controls for Zanardi (one of which being a new braking system that's also in development apparently) they probably want to put the car through a season of competition and development.

Being prepared and careful is more important than JUST putting on a show. I will be happy to see him in a car whenever it happens!

I'm sure he's more than prepared...he hasn't taken a moment off from competitive sports since his injury. Now, is he still young and fit enough to be genuinely competitive? Dunno.

Weird in what way? I've never seen more then 2-3 at any race, unless I've missed it and they're palling around in some GT cars or something.

Weird in what way? I've never seen more then 2-3 at any race, unless I've missed it and they're palling around in some GT cars or something.

Considering all the revived interest from international teams and usual influx of IndyCar drivers I just find it odd that there aren’t more drivers from NASCAR.

Considering all the revived interest from international teams and usual influx of IndyCar drivers I just find it odd that there aren’t more drivers from NASCAR.

NASCAR has a longer schedule as you know, and so there is more room for conflicting times, which is why you only really ever see a ton of them during Daytona.

NASCAR has a longer schedule as you know, and so there is more room for conflicting times, which is why you only really ever see a ton of them during Daytona.

I wasn't talking about any other races, just Daytona. AJ is the only one I've seen confirmed so far besides the noobie brigade that is doing the Continental race.

I wasn't talking about any other races, just Daytona. AJ is the only one I've seen confirmed so far besides the noobie brigade that is doing the Continental race.

Ah in that case who knows, maybe most of the seats were filled before Cup drivers were asked. Ganassi usually runs his guys, so I'd imagine that with Roger giving drives to a couple of his Indy drivers, that NASCAR drivers were last on the list to be asked. Outside of that it's just who has connections to who.

Slightly off topic but if you need your sportscar fix while waiting for Daytona, IMSA's youtube channel has uploaded a few old races from the GTP era, where you can see stuff like the all conquering Toyota Eagle MKIII in action. They still look fast by today's standards!

Watching the old IMSA stuff is fantastic. I wasn’t around then, but I still get a feeling of nostalgia when watching it.

There’s something about the GTP cars on tiny, totally unsuitable street circuits that I really enjoy lol.

Is it weird I'm actually jealous of the generations in the future - which (hopefully) will have archives of current racing in nice HD footage? Admittedly by then we'll be doing immersive virtual reality 24K stuff...but still. I'd kill to be able to watch full Group C events in what is considered modern HD footage, etc.

I hope we're being clever enough to properly store, catalogue and maintain the current race feeds we produce around the world.

Back