2018 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

Wow, in the replay from Ryan's onboard, Wicken's car is seen spiraling just a few feet above Ryan's head. Hope Wicken's is okay.

NBC said he's in the ambulance and are awaiting further updates.

Seeing the car tarped up like that just makes me sick to my stomach.....

Seeing the car tarped up like that just makes me sick to my stomach.....

I think they tarp it up like that to keep the bits and pieces on the car. The cockpit itself was still open and visible.

It will take up to an hour to repair the safety fence.

Wickens and RHR tapped. RHR slowed half-span arse into the wall. Wickens ramped over the front of RHR and straight into the catch fence

Last edited:
Race has finally restarted. (Despite some grumbling from Sebastian Bourdais over the fence repair job.) Alexander Rossi leads and is pulling away.; Tony Kanaan is now out from a lack of engine power.

This is what I was worried about when they were working on the new aero kits. That it would change the superspeedway racing. Enormous gaps between each car and not even a quarter of the way into the race.

This is what I was worried about when they were working on the new aero kits. That it would change the superspeedway racing. Enormous gaps between each car and not even a quarter of the way into the race.

Do you want a stage-managed "Race" with cars locked in place because of aero and not being able to make a pass lap after lap? Or do you want a better driver to actually show their talent, take the lead and drive circles around everybody because they can and are the best in the field on that day?

Because I'm done with the old IRL "Pack" "Racing".

EDIT: Tony Kanaan on the broadcast blames the current racing action on the loss of downforce from last year and a much rougher, bumpier surface.

Last edited:
Well the run continues... Rossi wins at yet another historical venue (might only have one more win then at Gateway). Also continues his streak of only winning in the NAPA scheme.

Do you want a stage-managed "Race" with cars locked in place because of aero and not being able to make a pass lap after lap?
Not really sure why you're talking about stage racing. Also, cars not being able to pass? Not really sure what you're talking about.

What I want to see is what we've had the past couple of years. Where the cars could follow each other close and make slingshot passes. And not pull out 10 second gaps by themselves.

Not really sure why you're talking about stage racing. Also, cars not being able to pass? Not really sure what you're talking about.

What I want to see is what we've had the past couple of years. Where the cars could follow each other close and make slingshot passes. And not pull out 10 second gaps by themselves.

I'm done. Not even going to respond to this except:

>The point
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Your head

Man, oh man. I didn't think it was that bad of a wreck initially until the camera angle was changed and I saw Wickens spinning violently after contacting the fence. :eek:

Update on his condition:
https://racer.com/2018/08/19/wickens-suffers-multiple-injuries-in-pocono-crash/
Injuries “to his lower extremities, right arm and spine.” Hopefully he recovers fast enough to return by the start of next season. He's had a stellar rookie year.

It has really annoyed me that people are calling for the end of Indycars on ovals... those of you who know me on the forums know I’m a massive advocate for safety. However, the drivers accept the risks of IndyCar racing in the sense that it is the fastest and most dangerous sport on the planet. It’s amazing how far safety has come. I dread to think what we’d be discussing if this occurred in cars from 10 years ago. I agree INDYCAR has extra steps to take in order to improve safety, but ovals are part of the DNA of the championship. (This is all coming from a road course guy). I have always believed INDYCAR champions are the most complete of any international series due to their adaptability. Removing ovals suddenly removes the major draw of the INDYCAR championship imo

Hunter-Reay was within inches of getting decapitated... again. :eek: His and Hinchcliffe's onboards really make a good case for the canopy/halo discussion. I hope Wickens will be alright, that was scary. Shades of Kenny Brack at Texas in 2003.

It has really annoyed me that people are calling for the end of Indycars on ovals... those of you who know me on the forums know I’m a massive advocate for safety. However, the drivers accept the risks of IndyCar racing in the sense that it is the fastest and most dangerous sport on the planet. It’s amazing how far safety has come. I dread to think what we’d be discussing if this occurred in cars from 10 years ago. I agree INDYCAR has extra steps to take in order to improve safety, but ovals are part of the DNA of the championship. (This is all coming from a road course guy). I have always believed INDYCAR champions are the most complete of any international series due to their adaptability. Removing ovals suddenly removes the major draw of the INDYCAR championship imo

Ovals are an integral part of what Indycar is and have always been, even when it was USAC or CART. You can't get rid of them. Pocono is and always has been a very dangerous track, you never crash lightly there... 200+mph and little to no banking will not end well.

It'll be a good long while before ultra-lucky young Robert Wickens returns to racing. The risk of instant violent death is very near when the open wheel, open cockpit car flies into the cheese grater + steel pole catch fences from a 200+ mph accident. IMHO, Wickens was entirely at fault for the accident, and will undoubtedly spend much time contemplating the error of his ways during his convalescence and hopeful return to racing.

By: Marshall Pruett| 6 hours ago

Although the full extent of Robert Wickens’ injuries have yet to be confirmed, he is being treated for injuries “to his lower extremities, right arm and spine,” according to a statement from IndyCar.

MRIs to learn whether suspected fractures or breaks to Wickens’ ankles, arm, and vertebrae are planned at Lehigh Valley Hospital – Cedar Crest for the Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver who crashed after making contact with Andretti Autosport’s Ryan Hunter-Reay on Sunday at the Pocono IndyCar event.

Surgery is also anticipated once the injuries are confirmed. Wickens also suffered a pulmonary contusion in the crash that destroyed his No. 6 Honda.

Man, terrifying how close it was to a double fatality.

This might sound a bit odd, but some accidents sort of have a chaotic beauty about them, for example Mike Conway’s 2010 Indy wreck. I can’t help but be awe with how the car pirouettes in mid air before the destruction. Wicken’s accident was absolutely the opposite. The brutality of the car having such a sudden stop once it catches in the catchfencing is genuinely hard to watch, and I can’t help but just cringe seeing it each time.

That was one of the scariest crashes I've seen. The way he was slumped forward in the cockpit as the car came to a stop made me sick to stomach. He's going to be out for the rest of the season but thankfully he's alive. RHR was very lucky to come out unscathed too, scary stuff.

Also Hinch taking two big hits, that must have hurt.

Latest Posts

Back