2018 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

And the interesting part of the silly season is over.

ZCD doing St Pete, Long Beach and Alabama to start.
Fittipaldi doing PIR, Indy 500.

Last edited:
Someone in a YouTube comment noted that the cars seem to have a higher redline for the engines. Not sure if the engine could go higher RPMS or if maybe the drivers are just shifting later.

I recall reading somewhere that the current generation of engines have reached power levels which affect inherent reliability and longevity. It was said power levels will not be going up much if any at all this year.

Indycar should be rather pleased with themselves. The new car with the "deflector" looks good, and didn't really impede Dixon's driving at all. Just an early version, and I'm interested about the different things PPG can do on the glass and the coatings available to them (anti-fogging, anti-glare etc.).

*the coatings are mentioned later in this video*

It still annoys me that the subject of cockpit protection has come to the point that we're talking windshields and halos, but at least it's good to see IndyCar seemingly taking the matter more methodically than what we've seen in F1.

True, a lot of it has been behind the scenes, but there seems to be less of knee-jerk reaction feel to proceedings within IndyCar. That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Love the fact that IndyCar is livestreaming the Phoenix test session on the YouTube channel. I wish more motorsports series would follow suit and live stream some of the events not covered by their TV contracts like IndyCar does.

Love the fact that IndyCar is livestreaming the Phoenix test session on the YouTube channel. I wish more motorsports series would follow suit and live stream some of the events not covered by their TV contracts like IndyCar does.
TCR does exactly that. WTCR won't. But TCR UK and Europe are expected to.

I actually am going to praise this new windshield deal for Indy cars. Someone commented on YouTube mentioned being better able to hear the engine and not hear as much wind noise. I must say I was pretty impressed with that test video around Phoenix. As if I wasn't excited for these great-looking Indy cars, I am even more interested in how the whole windscreen thing plays out.

It was a beautiful evening for that video, but I wonder what that windshield will be like in rainy races. That is one thing I do wonder with this windshield.

Eva
Sage Karam has a ride for the 102nd Indianapolis 500, with Dreyer and Reinbold Racing footing the bill for a wrecked racecar. Also, DRR want to make their way back to full time competition. "But these universal aero kits aren't appealing to new teams" my aching ass.

It's also more-or-less an open secret that Dreyer & Reinbold Racing will run a second car this year at Indy for J.R. Hildebrand.

Also, here's the article about DRR wanting to go back to being a full-time Indycar team for those interested.

Eva
Looking less and less likely that Montoya will make the grid, which makes me happy through and through. Servia pinned to be in the RLL car, and the potential fourth Coyne car will probably have Davison or Vautier.
Or Conor Daly if he gets the money together. I can't remember where I found it but Conor said that Dale was getting impatient (sometime in January) that Conor didn't have the funding secure. Maybe he's got some form of package for Indy.

Eva
Looking less and less likely that Montoya will make the grid, which makes me happy through and through. Servia pinned to be in the RLL car, and the potential fourth Coyne car will probably have Davison or Vautier.

JPM will probably only show up at Indy if one of Team Penske's other four drivers can't race due to extreme circumstances. The potential fourth DCR car will be down to whomever partners with them (Rumored to be Tom Burns, a former partner in the Lazier Partners team), as Pippa Mann is likely to return in a Dale Coyne-entered car.

Or Conor Daly if he gets the money together. I can't remember where I found it but Conor said that Dale was getting impatient (sometime in January) that Conor didn't have the funding secure. Maybe he's got some form of package for Indy.

Conor might get the money to run Indy, but he was on Marshall Pruett's podcast and was quoted being against raising up to $2 Million just to do one race unless it was the absolute only option.

JPM will probably only show up at Indy if one of Team Penske's other four drivers can't race due to extreme circumstances. The potential fourth DCR car will be down to whomever partners with them (Rumored to be Tom Burns, a former partner in the Lazier Partners team), as Pippa Mann is likely to return in a Dale Coyne-entered car.

Conor might get the money to run Indy, but he was on Marshall Pruett's podcast and was quoted being against raising up to $2 Million just to do one race unless it was the absolute only option.
Pippa's already been confirmed. To what I can tell, Thom Burns is running something separate and away from other teams.

Eva
Pippa's already been confirmed. To what I can tell, Thom Burns is running something separate and away from other teams.

From my sources, Thomas Burns Racing is more-or-less going to be running a car in conjunction with Dale Coyne, similar to how Michael Shank Racing is a separate entity, but built its cars and shares a technical alliance with Schmidt-Petersen Motorsports. The bigger question is who the driver might be.

There are also strong rumors of third cars from Rahal/Letterman/Lannigan Racing and Schmidt-Peterson Motorsports.

From my sources, Thomas Burns Racing is more-or-less going to be running a car in conjunction with Dale Coyne, similar to how Michael Shank Racing is a separate entity, but built its cars and shares a technical alliance with Schmidt-Petersen Motorsports. The bigger question is who the driver might be.

There are also strong rumors of third cars from Rahal/Letterman/Lannigan Racing and Schmidt-Peterson Motorsports.
SPM is running Jay Howard again.

I'll tell you what. I can't wait for the new season to start. IndyCar always puts on a great show. Most important to me is in seeing how the drivers and teams take advantage of these new chasses. We'll need to see these on a variety of tracks to see how they perform. To me, it is most surprising just how long the St. Petersburg street course has been around. It's almost basically the Long Beach of the East. I can't say East Coast because St. Petersburg, FL is along the Gulf of Mexico.

Still... bring on the 2018 season! I'm ready (or will try to be ready)!

Back