2018 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

Paul Tracy calling for somebody to be a villain? What else is going to happen? The sky will appear to be blue and it be a day of the week? Completely unheard of.
To be fair, Tracy has a point. Part of the intrigue is the dynamics of everyone's personalities, which ABC routinely fails to capture. There isn't someone who can really justify hating in IndyCar, which is good and bad. And while I don't thin either Wickens or Rossi need to be a villain, there's no need to be polite when you've literally either had your race ended by a bad move, or if you completed a bad move and held on for podium.

Eva
To be fair, Tracy has a point. Part of the intrigue is the dynamics of everyone's personalities, which ABC routinely fails to capture. There isn't someone who can really justify hating in IndyCar, which is good and bad. And while I don't thin either Wickens or Rossi need to be a villain, there's no need to be polite when you've literally either had your race ended by a bad move, or if you completed a bad move and held on for podium.
I know what you mean. It was more a joke about Tracy than anything.

Eva

If Sage Karam gets a full-time ride again, you can bet that their will be a subset of fans that'll boo him during driver introductions.

I for one am intrigued that neither Team Penske nor Team Ganassi made any positive impression during the entire race. Whatsit, ~2000 lbs downforce gone this year, and rookies are coping as well as anyone?

Definately a surprise contrary to what I was expecting but in hindsight now that I really look at it, I almost think the vets got (for lack of a better term) complacent. Once they jumped ship and CART Died, they completely lost all that instinct and memory of driving a low downforce and overpowered Open Wheel car and instead got used to a overgrippy yet underpowered car. They got used to having to push the car to make it quick and even got somewhat dependent on the car to work for them instead of making it work. After alittle over a dacade of this, the new car is a sudden departure from what they got used to. While they struggle to relearn this, the rookies have no preconceived notions nor previous experience with the older car and thus this is all they know, which lessens the learning curve for them. THIS is the only car they are learning, where the Vets are learning (or relearning) a completely different car.

I mean Scott Dixon did go to the back of the field twice an still finished 6th IIRC. That doesn't tell me he got to complacent IMO

I mean Scott Dixon did go to the back of the field twice an still finished 6th IIRC. That doesn't tell me he got to complacent IMO

Not discrediting his finish when I say that (I mean its Scott Dixon, the main star of last year's hit "Dixon and Dragons".), just that he and the other vets were not on top right off the bat as many would've predicted and its likely due to how much of a different animal this car is to the previous one (and the one before that).

His finish likely indicated that he's the first vet that has begun to get a handle on the car (even if it was taking advantage of the crazy happening on the corner of Chaos and Insanity)

To add on Dixon's race, he's lucky not to take himself out when he plowed into Sato at T1 earlier in the race.

A rare event to see him make a mistake like that.

Honda and Forza Motorsport 7 present R vs R – A mixed reality race between real and virtual
Watch IndyCar driver Graham Rahal in the real 2018 Honda Civic Type R take on pro gamer Peter Jeakins in the virtual one in Forza Motorsport 7. :cool:

I’m not as big on NBC as some people are, but they are the lesser of 2 evils.

I wonder if ABC will even try for the rest of the season?

They haven't even tried for the past couple seasons in the first place....

They've put in minimal effort, I wouldn't be surprised if things like side-by-side vanish for the rest of their races.

Also, this is why I'm not completely sold on NBC. Granted it's a NASCAR race but still, it shows they're not exactly the gold standard when it comes to covering races.

They've put in minimal effort, I wouldn't be surprised if things like side-by-side vanish for the rest of their races.

Also, this is why I'm not completely sold on NBC. Granted it's a NASCAR race but still, it shows they're not exactly the gold standard when it comes to covering races.

You know that's a joke video right?

Love you some IndyCar, huh? May I interest you in IndyCar at Phoenix tonight, ladies and gentlemen? According to Weather Underground, tonight will be 68°F under clear skies tonight at Phoenix (or ISM Speedway these days). Hope the drivers and teams put on a great show at this tricky one-mile oval in the desert.

Good luck to all drivers and teams tonight.

IMO Phoenix is a terrible track to host racing on. Neither NASCAR or Indycar can put on good shows (Unless somebody uses the chrome horn and a fist-fight breaks out over it) and I don't think the planned remodel and reconfiguration is going to change that. With that said, the last few laps were entertaining, but not enough to make up for the rest of a dreadfully dull race.

The late race drama at Phoenix was great! How about a standing ovation for the rookie that finished 2nd?

So we stay West for the next race. Only that... it's the legendary Long Beach Grand Prix is coming up. Are you SoCal GTPlaneteers ready for more IndyCar awesomeness on the streets of Long Beach this coming Sunday?

Sucks that Bourdais got caught under the caution, it could have been a 3-way battle for the lead. It was still a great race though even with Rossi dominating.

We're also 3-for-3 with different teams and drivers winning so hopefully it continues being competitive all year long.

Back