2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
3rd time not the charm.
Was in a much better lobby this time, door 17 (if that matters) but managed to qualify 4th. Unfortunately this race went almost the exact same as the first. Jumped to 2nd and got shafted at the first corner.
I'll give all the credit to the penalty system since it's ok to slam up the inside and use anyone else as a pillow. Eventually fought back to 10th and 101 points (previous best today was 107 so not a big loss).
A bit miffed since I could have had a personal best points haul today and missed out 3 times because of identical incidents.
So it goes

So decided to run again, D7 and 58 points this time. Quali was a joke, people not spacing out and just a mess. Q13 good job I'm not superstitious, although I don't think this is going to go well. Yes that truely sucked, came 11th and should have come about 6th, but hey why pass cleanly when shoving someone out of you way works wonders...OK I lost more time being angry and making a mistake but this sort of thing shouldn't be happening.
Do I bother with USA???? Well that's a definitely no, bad circuit with badly implemented strategy and a cheat to win mentality around.

What do you mean you aren't racing the shifter karts? It'll be clean as a whistle I swear!
(actual photo of kart race)
images.jpeg-15.jpg

Well not doing the Karts, tried them and not for me. GR1 at BM, don't sound good and then a rally event. Guess I'll play LS. Need to do another race for USA so he's at least played 2 so that will have to be the GR1.

That was....horrible. Went in twice but I'm not sure why:banghead:

A large part my own impatience/incompetence and a large part the new world of side swipes and punts up the inside using the car in front to brake. I can't adjust my mindset to this, I probably watch too much real world motorsport where most of these moves would be race ending. But it just makes me lose my concentration.

I actually went in feeling positive, low 1,58s in practice seemed ok in low B. And both qualys were low 1,59s for Q7 both times.

First race was a shambles, too much jostling for the line where there was no space and I was sent spinning twice, ended up DFL, cruised round and pitted late to try for FL and couldn't even get that:grumpy:

Second race the top 7 of us are all battling for the first lap and a half then someone decides that side by side won't do and just shunts me into the barrier before the back straight. DFL again and some decent laps to fight back to 10th. But the whole thing was pretty joyless to be honest.

It's Saturday, it's wine night (malbec night to be precise) so time to forget about a video game :cheers:

Nations Cup - rd2

Well, did not have too many hopes for this one - I did not manage to get a time better than 2.3s off the top EMEA time. Was planning to go Alfa, then switched to Mitsu and at the start of the race I found myself in the RXV. The quali was nothing to write home about - 56.5 but just 3 tenths of pole and enough for P6 on the grid. Lost a place at the start to an AMG then recovered it straight away when the leader was pushed wide at T1. Managed to win another position few corners later and then ran a few laps in P5. The Renault behind made a dive at the end of the back straight in lap5 and decided not to fight it, hoping that the tyre wear will kill him later on. Then for a few laps I was in P6 having a decent pace, about 2s in front of the FT1 chasing me. Lap 9 I made a mistake running wide on the grass at the lefthander before the back straight, kept it pointing in the right direction but that meant I lost P6. The Toyota was faster and managed to break away but even with my pace decreasing due to tyrewear I kept P7 till the end. 184 points and a good result that I wasn't expecting.

I have 391 points now, I am sure of the 2nd place in Romanian leaderboards after 2 rounds, curious about my place in EMEA(was P142 before the race, pretty sure I will drop a bit).

Tried the Supra for the first race because I knew it had straight-line speed versus the Mazda and that I wanted to test my Manufacturers' car a bit more. Top room in North America, qualified 16th or so, almost 2 seconds slower than pole. Ran as high as 14th but I was assisted wide by a few people and eventually, the tires just gave up. Finished 18th out of 19 who made it to the end.

Have other things to do for now but will try the Mazda later tonight.

Good, skip the karts. A better shot for me to get another good results.

687F7EE6-D3BD-413D-84D1-8E52604A5D2B.jpeg

One and done for me. Thanks to @Jwptexas for pushing me the entire second half of the race, as that mid pack start meant I had to work early in the race, dropping to 15th after the worst start ever (didn’t put the TC up to 1 on the start, and trying a new button map for the hand brake). But just kept plugging away, and gained probably half of those ten spots from guys spinning out, but a very good race.

Nice to see @afc5150 and @KosmoKazi as well. Kosmo got a nice top 10 a few spot behind me, so good points for the GTP guys.

But who’s idea was it to run that track in reverse? Outside of T1, it was just the most unenjoyable track I’ve ever run.

Last edited:
Jumped back in after quite a while away from the game.

After a short practice and refresher session, I decided on the Supra... I think my first daily win ever was at this track, in that car, so I figured it would bring back good vibes. It was definitely the combination that the game 'just clicked' for me when I was first starting out. The Supra is really reliable... what it lacks in pure pace, it offsets with really forgiving handling that allows for mistakes without big time penalties or worse consequences, like the FT-1, which will bite you hard on corner exit.

Qualified 16th after a ragged session, was just targeting a clean race in the 10-15 range at that point, to avoid losing DR, after building it to nearly my top DR ever, before taking a break after the last FIA season.

Drove a clean race, steady and avoided the scraps (could see them coming... I was slotted in and around a few guys I recognized that aren't necessarily dirty, but that trouble seems to follow consistently). Worked out just fine, and worked my way up to 8th with a lap to go. With a half lap to go, got passed by a Beetle who had pitted for tires, and was remarkably faster for it. ...But was happy to stick a top 10 while knocking the rust off, extend my clean race streak, and pocket some decent FIA points in a nice lobby. Especially as I was in dead last after the first lap.... Best part was getting matched with @afc5150, @Jwptexas, and @HaydenFan69 ...after stepping back for a while, nice to see the team and friends out there!

upload_2021-3-6_18-32-42.png

Not bad for jumping back in cold, to a lobby at my top DR rank ever.

7358961024883524096_0.jpg

With AFC-R6N

7350516784706912768_0.jpg

Supra is really steady at this track... which helped me out a lot after a sabbatical.

Last edited:
It's certain tracks. Tracks that need a bit of precision, with direction changes. Especially turning on those curbs. Some tracks with high throttle percentage, don't give me a rest either. Just had a gorilla grip of the controller, to make sure I move the stick and apply the brakes without too much pressure.
I wasn't even really resting on the hill.

I watched the gap from about .7 and then it was .1 from T1-T3? Can't recall where where you started.
I knew the Mario Brother was going to dive. Game him plenty of room each time. No grip after the PZ Left hander.

That was fair. Good drive and good win by you.

Do you use triggers or the sticks for accel/brake? When I used controller back in the day I found the sticks tiring on the thumbs.

I found this car really fickle as to how it wanted to pitch when on the brakes. I ran BB-0 because it evened the tyre wear, but found that on the the first two corners and especially the left before the PZ you mentioned, going in with the brake pedal flat would either give you understeer from too much front brake or late oversteer from too much rear brake, was very unpredictable. I worked out that modulating the pedal kept the nose where I wanted it to be and found I was gaining a bit of time on people, particularly when I caught you for the overtake, part of the reason for the lunge was I wasn't expecting to catch so quickly. You were definitely stronger than me sector 3.

As a whinge aside, does anyone else find the way this game simulates wheelspin a bit inconsistent? At least in my experience compared to PC2 and ACC. Especially coming out of the last corner. The RX has no torque, so the game gives you grip then it takes it away shifting into 3rd when I've got the car at its straightest. Like exiting: grip at apex to exit on the throttle nearly 100%> grip in transition> cars straight at exit 100% throttle > redline 2nd to 3rd > car slips and sends me side sideways.

Second venture into FIA racing, first time in the Nations Cup. Chose the 4C since that's what I was fastest with in practice out of all my Group 3 cars. All DR-B lobby. Qualified 18th after being punted off course twice. Finished 18th out of 18 (surprisingly, my only offs were my own fault) after two disconnects, dropping me closer to DR-C where I believe I truly belong.

I truly believe qualifying should be one car on the track at a time, or at least ghost all of the other players. Having to "race" while qualifying is ridiculous. But what do I know?

Either way, best of luck to the rest of the FIA competitors...I doubt you'll see me again LOL.

Last edited:
I truly believe qualifying should be one car on the track at a time, or at least ghost all of the other players. Having to "race" while qualifying is ridiculous. But what do I know?
I TRY to get a space, but in general it's best to hang back and run last, even if you only get one flying lap it's better than the problems you get. Today I took a chance as I had over 2 secs in front and behind, the guy behind sped up at end of lap and was trying to overtake by BBB totally spoiled both our laps and I was lucky that I could get a space so the 2nd lap was half decent. You have to consider every other player as being mentally retarded and doesn't have a clue what they are doing. You see the top guys trying to get slipstream to qualify better, at our level you just want space as an slipstream means your going to catch the guy in front and that's not helpful.

Do you use triggers or the sticks for accel/brake? When I used controller back in the day I found the sticks tiring on the thumbs.

I found this car really fickle as to how it wanted to pitch when on the brakes. I ran BB-0 because it evened the tyre wear, but found that on the the first two corners and especially the left before the PZ you mentioned, going in with the brake pedal flat would either give you understeer from too much front brake or late oversteer from too much rear brake, was very unpredictable. I worked out that modulating the pedal kept the nose where I wanted it to be and found I was gaining a bit of time on people, particularly when I caught you for the overtake, part of the reason for the lunge was I wasn't expecting to catch so quickly. You were definitely stronger than me sector 3.

As a whinge aside, does anyone else find the way this game simulates wheelspin a bit inconsistent? At least in my experience compared to PC2 and ACC. Especially coming out of the last corner. The RX has no torque, so the game gives you grip then it takes it away shifting into 3rd when I've got the car at its straightest. Like exiting: grip at apex to exit on the throttle nearly 100%> grip in transition> cars straight at exit 100% throttle > redline 2nd to 3rd > car slips and sends me side sideways.
I use triggers from throttle and brake. My right index finger cops the most from long throttle tracks. I've alternated with using my middle finger at times. Thumbsa re fine. My grip from the muscles in my middle finger to my tendons and knuckle get stressed/fatigued.

Edit: As for Bb. I left it a 0 as well. I usually have it -2. I think once you passed, I switched to -2 for aid, but it should have been +2, to get more rotation with the understeer.

Last edited:
Having chosen Mazda for my manufacturer I wasn’t feeling too keen on running it for this race and the other meta choices were feeling a bit boring. I decided along with @Adam Barber to run with the M6 with its good straight line speed and decent handling and tyre wear.

My qualifying lap wasn’t great but I think I lucked out with the rest of the lobby holding each other up and dropped into p2 behind @Jwptexas in the Ford GT.

The lights went out and I made a decent start holding p2 but dropping away from the Ford which was 1s ahead before we hit t1 :lol:.

Tried to keep it tidy and break the slip to p2 but even with slip the speed on the m6 was enough to not allow those behind to attack. We made a gap of nearly 2s as those behind fought and I picked up a 0.5s pen for cutting the esses on lap 2.

The Ford was now stretching away and luckily the penalty didn’t put me back into the chasing pack so I could get my head down again hoping to catch the Ford as it’s tyres wore on.

Sadly the Ford disconnected after some weird lag and I was left in the lead. I continued to push and made a good gap but noticed a driver had climbed up into p2. Worried I was probably at a tyre disadvantage I just backed off a little to save the fronts but the gap didn’t come down as the pack fought behind. I decided to crack on and try to nail consistent laps with only the final 2 really seeing the lap times fall away.

Really enjoyed that race, a fun track the drive and the m6 is a fun car to drive. Got lucky with the win but I’m not going to complain :cheers:

E5500921-7D8E-403C-8BB8-9B8C3052D980.jpeg

Raced 3 times tonight, had 3 really fun races. First one I blew my Qually lap and started P20, but ended up having a solid race and made it up to P6 by the end of the race. 2nd race I was up to top split, got a lap in this time and started P11, had another good race and made it up to P8 by the end this time. I knew I had a better Qually lap in me so I figured I’d try one more time. Ended up in top split again, but this time got a pretty good Q lap in, and wound up starting P3! :eek: My highest top split start to date. I was super nervous at the start of the race, but luckily I had a team mate starting right behind me in P4, and @KiepeYai starting P5, so I knew I didn’t have to worry about anyone doing anything silly behind me off the start. The start went well and the two aliens ahead of me started to pull away. That left me with about 9 laps to figure out how to hold of @kevinddr in his FT1, which is no small feat. I’m still not sure how I managed to stay ahead, but I did, and wound up with my first ever top split Podium finish. What a great night of racing it turned out to be, and to think, I was gonna skip the whole night because I didn’t like the track! :lol:

32DA835F-4979-45F8-A841-8CFC40FFC080.jpeg

Last edited:
Back