2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotland were 1-0 up at half time, and they extended their lead to 3-0... but, Argentina scored twice in the last 15 minutes to make it 3-2, and then got a very controversial penalty in injury time (it did look like a penalty, but VAR clearly showed that the Scotland defender got the ball before making contact, but the penalty was awarded anyway....) But, justice appeared to have been served when the penalty was saved, only for the referee to order the penalty to be taken again because the keeper came off the line too early. So, 3-3 it finished... and both teams are now out of the tournament.
It was really odd. The contract on the ball was so small it baffles me the penalty wasn't given in the first place. Then to overturn it goes against everything FIFA have said about VAR: that it is to "overrule clear and obvious errors." If it takes so long to decide it's probably not a howler.

The whole idea of penalties being retaken because the keeper is pushing their weight forward but on the line is ridiculous and needs to bugger off.

Then after 10 minutes of that debacle the ref just blows for full time almost immediately after the restart. The ball hadn't been in play since the 85th minute!

The problem with VAR is that it's still incompetent people making the decisions.

Yes. Next season I'm filling my fantasy team with divers and penalty takers, as I'm sure instead of being caught by the VAR they'll actually get more penalties, well just as long as they make sure to touch the defender before falling over and rolling around.

Also maybe avoid physical strikers who often like to push and pull defenders about because it's even easier to take away goals than it is to give penalties.

Anyway the Premier League are still allowing keepers to be way off their line saving penalties because the VAR won't be used for this and the refs will miss it most of the time as normal. Remember also that rebound attempts are now removed solely because the above things will also happen with players in the box when the kick is taken. It's like they know the refs are bad or something. This change all the rules the refs can't,don't or won't enforce stuff needs to stop.

Yet this poor refereeing with the VAR stuff won't even bring the most unnecessary chaos to games next season because the "leave the pitch at the nearest point" is going to cause way more problems than it solves. Players will walk one way first before "remembering" the new rule and reversing direction or they will just go up to the ref to ask which way to go off, wasting more time. Then afterwards don't expect them to go around the pitch quickly or to not cut the corners (maybe even intentionally to disrupt play), there also the possibility someone sneaks back on too and whilst this shouldn't happen I wouldn't rule anything out. Then there are the idiot fans who will likely shout a load of abuse, throw objects at them or come on to confront them or other things that might provoke them into doing something in retaliation and some players are such idiots they might think it's funny to annoy the opposition fans as they come off too, which will end about as well as you might think.

Time wasting was (is) a clear problem but it was obviously too simple to remove subs in added time and not allow the sub on until later on when the player leaving the pitch took too long to leave the pitch, so instead we get this very bad idea, that will be scrapped before the end of the season.

Last 16 of the Women's World Cup is underway and England just played Cameroon, England won 3-0 but that does not tell the full story.

England's second goal was scored by Ellen White and at first there was a suspicion of offside so the Japanese ref referred to VAR which showed White to be at least a yard on side, now it was very clear and it was showed in the stadium for everyone to see, the ref rightly gave the goal and Cameroon went mental, they couldn't accept that the goal stood and refused to play on with the players all in a huddle working out what to do and the ref trying and failing to control the situation this lead to nine minutes added at the end of the first half. Some of the players were crying in the tunnel.

Into the second half and Cameroon swiftly got back into it at 2-1 but then that goal was ruled out rightly for offside via VAR too and again they went mad and screaming at the ref and refusing to play on, their coach on the touchline wasn't happy and had to be calmed down, one of their players also spat at Fara Williams (probably accidental) and another shoved the ref and there was a nasty challenge on England skipper Steph Houghton which led her to clatter into the Cameroon coach, it was a definite red but only a yellow was shown. The coach then stood over Houghton pointing and shouting at her, and Neville had to tell him to back off.

Cameroon were a disgrace and they actually did quite well causing some problems for England with their high pressing, England did well to keep their heads following some bizarre situations, the referee was shocking and lost control of the game.

What a horrible advert for football. England players did so well to keep concentrated and not get involved. Cameroon team and coach were and absolute disgrace. They should definitely receive some sort of ban for their behaviour. Thought Neville gave an excellent honest interview after the game.

England will need to play better against Norway to progress.

The Cameroon team should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - an utter embarrassment. I think they should be fined and given a severe reprimand.

Meanwhile, the England team can be proud of their display and Neville's comments after the match were spot on.

But there will be serious questions asked about how the game got so out of control, and why the officials didn't issue a straight red for one of the most disgraceful tackles (assault would be a more appropriate phrase) that I've seen in a while.

Well done to England and roll on the quarter-finals. Cameroon, hang your heads in shame and 🤬 off while you're at it.

Cameroon coach said at his post-match press conference that they played fair and with a sporting attitude, I wonder which game he was watching!

Cameroon coach said at his post-match press conference that they played fair and with a sporting attitude, I wonder which game he was watching!
Maybe he thought he was managing the team in white?

Just had a feeling these two guys were related. (What happened to the fake Nelson Mandela interpreter?)
Or maybe they could of done with the guy in the above picture to get a message across to the Cameroon players. :D

obama2_2762211b.jpg
_107510021_1mondaytelegraph.png

What's replacing it? Are AC and Inter going to get separate stadiums?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48746689
Also, Newcastle are losing Benitez. Looks like they've blown it there, Ashley just needed to promise - and deliver - more money to him. Looks like it's back into freefall for the club if the takeover doesn't happen.

Benitez leaving is a disaster for Newcastle and its fans, who I now feel sorry for, the club is a shambles right now and I can see them maybe going down next season, the only hope is the rumoured takeover but its been all quiet on that front for the last six weeks.

Sad that they are demolishing the San Siro, one of the most iconic stadiums in the World.

What's replacing it? Are AC and Inter going to get separate stadiums?
Both teams will be building a new joint stadium alongside the San Siro if the mayor of Milan approves the plan. The mayor wanted the San Siro modernized and was hoping to avoid its demolition. That would mean the clubs would have to play elsewhere for a season or two and they weren't willing to do that.

The new stadium is supposed to be based on Metlife Stadium in New Jersey, home of the Jets and Giants.

Everton have signed Andre Gomes from Barcelona permanently for £22 million on a five-year deal, he had a successful loan spell at Everton last season.

Tottenham have agreed a deal with Lyon for midfielder Tanguy Ndombele for a club record £65 million.

Gigi Buffon set to return to Juventus one year after leaving for PSG.

Man U have bought Wan-Bissaka for £50mill.

Not quite but the clubs have agreed a fee, just the medical and personal terms, AWB is heading to Manchester right now and the signing is expected to be announced tomorrow.

De Ligt has agreed to a salary with Juventus. They just need to finalize the transfer fee with Ajax and then Juve will have won the Serie A in July.

And that is how clubs like Ajax can have one moderately successful season. Big clubs rattle the wallets and gone are the players.

At least he isn't going to PSG. A desert club in Europe.

Fantastic start by England in the WWC quarter final v Norway, 1-0 up after just two minutes via Jill Scott.

Why do goal keepers come out that far? Just in case of a backwards pass if his own player would have gained possession?
Some do and some don't. It could be to help in possession or to prevent a long ball over the back line.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka signs a five-year deal at Man United with an option of a sixth year, reportedly £80k a week, he will wear the number 29 shirt which was his number at Palace, medical passed and paperwork submitted, awaiting club announcement.

Wilfried Zaha wants to leave Crystal Palace and prefers to play for a London club and play in Europe, Arsenal heavily linked with him but have yet to make a bid, Palace value Zaha at £80 million! Man united have a 25% sell-on clause in Zaha's contract.

Outside of moneyball, Nottingham Forest sack Martin O'Neill and appoint, 18 minutes later, Someone Youveneverheardof*. Forest's relegation odds just tumbled from 14/1 to 13/2 (6.5/1).

*Actually Sabri Lamouchi, the former France midfielder whose managerial career started with Ivory Coast somehow (resigned after losing two from three in the 2014 World Cup), El Jaish of Qatar which disbanded after a takeover, and Rennes from whom he got sacked in December 2018)

If you include caretaker managers, Nottingham Forest have had 26 managers since the year 2000...

Last edited:
Some do and some don't. It could be to help in possession or to prevent a long ball over the back line.

It made the American sports highlight shows (Pardon The Interruption etc) and they were saying how he apparently practices this and all the time I kept thinking "where is the clip from his last year at Everton when he burned Joe Hart".

Aaron Wan-Bissaka signs a five-year deal at Man United with an option of a sixth year, reportedly £80k a week, he will wear the number 29 shirt which was his number at Palace, medical passed and paperwork submitted, awaiting club announcement.

Wilfried Zaha wants to leave Crystal Palace and prefers to play for a London club and play in Europe, Arsenal heavily linked with him but have yet to make a bid, Palace value Zaha at £80 million! Man united have a 25% sell-on clause in Zaha's contract.

If Palace loses Zaha to go along with Wan-Bissaka it sounds like it will be tough for them to stay up this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back