2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Still laughing in disbelief that At Madrid paid 126 million for João Felix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newcastle United's Summer so far.

May
Heavily linked with a billionaire takeover, linked with the likes of Mbappe and Bale and Mourinho as new Boss.

July
Rafa Benitez leaves for China, one of their best players leaves for Leicester, Steve Bruce bookies favourite for the job, only PL club not to sign any players and are relegation favourites.

I genuinely feel for the fans!

Newcastle United's Summer so far.

May
Heavily linked with a billionaire takeover, linked with the likes of Mbappe and Bale and Mourinho as new Boss.

July
Rafa Benitez leaves for China, one of their best players leaves for Leicester, Steve Bruce bookies favourite for the job, only PL club not to sign any players and are relegation favourites.

I genuinely feel for the fans!

Hmm.. sounds like the relegation battle could be very interesting all the way into May. Brighton, Palace (if Zaha leaves), Newcastle, Southampton, Burnley (if they start slow again), and the three new teams.

Steve Bruce
I'm not exactly Steve Bruce's biggest fan but I can't even begin to imagine why he'd take the job.

He's started our pre-season already. He's made three-ish player signings (we're under a "soft" embargo, so we can't actually sign anyone just yet) and nailed down a couple of new contracts ahead of that, and a couple of backroom staff signings. The squad is out in Portgual training right now, with a friendly this evening. If he went to Newcastle he'd have very little time for pre-season, he's got no new signings, he can't make any new signings - Ashley won't give that job up to anyone, which is why several managers have left - and he's lost players already. They're nailed on to go down, he'll get the sack by Christmas.

On the other hand, money.

I'm not exactly Steve Bruce's biggest fan but I can't even begin to imagine why he'd take the job.

He's started our pre-season already. He's made three-ish player signings (we're under a "soft" embargo, so we can't actually sign anyone just yet) and nailed down a couple of new contracts ahead of that, and a couple of backroom staff signings. The squad is out in Portgual training right now, with a friendly this evening. If he went to Newcastle he'd have very little time for pre-season, he's got no new signings, he can't make any new signings - Ashley won't give that job up to anyone, which is why several managers have left - and he's lost players already. They're nailed on to go down, he'll get the sack by Christmas.

On the other hand, money.

And will have lost the fans before the first game. Even though he is a Geordie, he's been the Sunderland manager, plays dinosaur football, has openly admitted to not using tactics before, loves to sign OAPs on a free (This will most likely be the reason Mike Ashley wants him if true) and basically is just a ***** manager.

If this circus was happening at any of the London clubs, the media would be all over the owner but for some reason it's brushed aside, there are even morons coming out and defending him (players, ex-newcastle players, managers, pundits) saying we should be grateful for what he has done to the club :lol:.

Even if this takeover happens, which I'm 99% certain is just another Ashley/Bishop PR stunt to get season ticket renewals (Noticed how we are always in a takeover stage around transfer windows/season ticket renewal dates). We will have very limited time to throw a squad together with no matter how much we spend. This trick may finally be backfiring on him though as the general feeling this time, regarding boycotts, not renewing etc seems to be at its highest. There was a leak/rumour that season ticket renewals are down by 10,000 plus. Some of the most diehard fans have given up :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arsenal captain Lorient Koscielny has refused to travel with the squad for the their pre-season tour of the United States, he wants to be released from his contract which still has another year to run. What is it with Arsenal captains lately?? Ramsey, Koscielny, Cech, Ozil…

Barcelona have signed 16 year-old Louie Barry from West Brom, WBA aren't happy with this as they are only expected to get around £235k compensation for him, Barry rose to prominence after scoring 10 goals in 5 games for the England U15's in Italy last summer and turned down a contract from PSG last month.

Man United have been quoted £50 million for 21 year old Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff. :lol:

Barcelona says that Griezman joins the club for 120 million. Atletico says no way. It needs to be a cool 200 million to rip up his contract.

I still have to get used to this. He was so established at Atleti that it feels unnatural to see him at another team let alone seeing him at Barca.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with Maguire coming in, our defence badly needs an upgrade and I would take him over Jones and Smalling any day of the week, shame he's costing £80 million though!

Everton have signed Fabian Delph from Man City for £9 million.

Steve Bruce has resigned from his managerial post at Sheffield Wednesday ahead of his appointment at Newcastle, what an absolute tool he is...

BETTING COMPANY WATCH

The real monster here is the gambling monster that has enslaved our sport; I call him Gamblor, and it's time to snatch our football from his neon claws!

For your convenience, please find the statistics for the number of teams whose primary shirt sponsor was a gambling company in the 2018/19 season just gone:

9 Premier League teams (45%)
15 Championship teams (63%)
4 League One teams (17%)
1 League Two team (4%)

The offenders were:

32Red (five teams)
LeoVegas (two teams)
BETDAQ (two teams)
SportPesa (two teams)
bet365 (also a stadium sponsor)
M88
ManBetX
Dafabet
Fun88
Betway
W88
OPE Sports
LaBa360
888Sport
10Bet
Betfred
BetUK
BetBright
Magical Vegas
BetSid
Football INDEX
Interbet

32% of the top 92 but 58% of the top two divisions

And it's only going to get worse.

3js.png

BETTING COMPANY WATCH

For your convenience, please find the statistics for the number of teams whose primary shirt sponsor was a gambling company in the 2018/19 season just gone:

9 Premier League teams (45%)
15 Championship teams (63%)
4 League One teams (17%)
1 League Two team (4%)

The offenders were:

32Red (five teams)
LeoVegas (two teams)
BETDAQ (two teams)
SportPesa (two teams)
bet365 (also a stadium sponsor)
M88
ManBetX
Dafabet
Fun88
Betway
W88
OPE Sports
LaBa360
888Sport
10Bet
Betfred
BetUK
BetBright
Magical Vegas
BetSid
Football INDEX
Interbet

32% of the top 92 but 58% of the top two divisions

And it's only going to get worse.

I only started watching football about 4 or 5 years ago and that's the one thing that always blows my mind is how many of these betting companies exist and how many of them are primary sponsors of teams. It must be a very lucrative business.

In the words of Calculon, I'm not familiar with the kind of thing I'm seeing...

Meanwhile we've unveiled our 2019/2020 kits and, thankfully, they're absolute bangers:

Also our manager has been announced as the manager of another club, which our club wasn't aware of until it appeared on social media having not yet accepted his resignation.

Which all sounds awfy familiar...

Speaking of Gambling companies on Football shirts, what about Huddersfield's new home shirt? Its got a massive Paddy Power logo running diagonally across it like a sash, not only it looks horrific and its rightly been panned but I feel the FA should look into it.

Speaking of Gambling companies on Football shirts, what about Huddersfield's new home shirt? Its got a massive Paddy Power logo running diagonally across it like a sash, not only it looks horrific and its rightly been panned but I feel the FA should look into it.
Large

I mean....that just a joke isn't it?!, they actually played in that kit tonight.

It's vile. A cardinal sin to have a sash over stripes. Stripes have a horizontal bar and solid colours are permitted to have sashes.

That looks like something that Charlie and Mac would cook up to promote Paddy's Pub on "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia".

Daniel Sturridge has been fined £75k and banned from playing Football until July 31st after being found guilty of breaching the FA's Gambling regulation. the ban is six weeks total with four weeks suspended. The Commission investigation found that Sturridge had asked his brother to bet on a possible move to Sevilla. Sturridge is of course appealing the decision and he is a free agent after his release from Liverpool and has yet to find a club.

Lots of rumours and reports tonight that Barcelona have offered £90 million for PSG's Neymar plus two players, it is said that PSG can pick any two from Philippe Coutinho, Malcom, Nelson Semedo, Ivan Rakatic and Ousmane Dembele. There is a sixth player being offered but his identity is not yet known.

Daniel Sturridge has been fined £75k and banned from playing Football until July 31st after being found guilty of breaching the FA's Gambling regulation. the ban is six weeks total with four weeks suspended. The Commission investigation found that Sturridge had asked his brother to bet on a possible move to Sevilla. Sturridge is of course appealing the decision and he is a free agent after his release from Liverpool and has yet to find a club.

Lots of rumours and reports tonight that Barcelona have offered £90 million for PSG's Neymar plus two players, it is said that PSG can pick any two from Philippe Coutinho, Malcom, Nelson Semedo, Ivan Rakatic and Ousmane Dembele. There is a sixth player being offered but his identity is not yet known.
It's a great time of year to ban a player from playing for 2 weeks isn't is.

On the Neymar front, if Barcelona do take him back they aren't playing with Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Griezmann. I wonder if Griezmann or Suarez are worrying about this.

The ban is even more pointless when you take into account that he doesn't actually have a club...

The ban is even more pointless when you take into account that he doesn't actually have a club...
I wonder if when he does find a new club, he will get nutmegged as often in his first training session with them as Griezmann did with Barcelona.

Some punishemts are pointless, like when a big club gets fined around £10k for racist chants.

I mean....that just a joke isn't it?!, they actually played in that kit tonight.
It's vile. A cardinal sin to have a sash over stripes. Stripes have a horizontal bar and solid colours are permitted to have sashes.
It's almost certainly a breach of regulations too:
C. SPONSOR DESIGNATIONS
(i) On football boots
Except as permitted by paragraphs 1 – 5 above, the appearance of any advertising of any description, including sponsors’ designations, on a Player’s football boots is prohibited.
(ii) On all other Clothing
No sponsor advertising is permitted anywhere on the clothing of a Player on the field of play during a match except as provided for in this part C.

The following advertising is permitted:
1. Playing kit
(a) On the clothing of a Player on the field of play, the following areas shall be permitted to be used for advertising
• One single area not exceeding 250 square centimetres on the front of the shirt;

• One single area not exceeding 100 square centimetres on the back of the shirt;
• One single area not exceeding 100 square centimetres on the sleeve of the shirt, between the shoulder seam and the elbow (provided Affiliated Association or Competition Rules so permit);
• One single area not exceeding 100 square centimetres on the back of the shorts; and
• Once only on each sock tie-up providing it does not exceed an area of 100 square centimetres.
One or more company may be advertised and, in respect of any one company, one or more of its products. The same advertising must appear in the same form on the clothing of all Players and Club Officials, wherever such advertising appears, throughout the entirety of the match.
(b) Any advertising under C(1) must be clearly separated from the items described in B above.
Just doing a quick measurement on myself, that Paddy Power logo sash is probably north of 650 square centimetres, or more than double the allowed limit.

So either everyone involved is that stupid, or it's a publicity stunt (they did play a friendly in it), or the gambling company will claim that its logo isn't a white sash or diagonal band but just the green letters and the full stop which only come in at 249 square centimetres or some nonsense like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back