2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last Domino fell a few hours ago, the Bundesliga fixtures this weekend were going ahead as scheduled BCD but they have now followed suit with every other European league and said Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga games wont go ahead this weekend.

Curiously, the National League have said the games in their three divisions will go ahead as scheduled, so if you need a Football fix this weekend then there it is!

Any money on the season being cancelled, denying Liverpool a Premier League title?

That would be the Liverpoolest thing ever - having it so completely within their grasp, only to be denied by a global biological apocalypse.
Speaking of money on things being cancelled, I've a few season-long bets on, including Lazio to finish top 4. I'd bet the bookies are only going to void bets that are winning. :grumpy:

Also, League of Ireland games are cancelled, they just about breach the government's limit on gatherings.

If only they were allowed to shake hands before the game.

Gremio vs Internacional in the Copa Libertadores. 8 red cards.

Big day tomorrow with UEFA meeting to discuss what to do with the Euros in the summer, whatever they decide it will ultimately decide what happens with the current league seasons across Europe and whether or not the seasons can be completed, a lot of people have got a lot of different ideas about what to do, I personally like the one where the Euros gets postponed until next summer which gives everyone more time to complete their fixtures.

The EFL are meeting on Wednesday and the Premier League are meeting on Thursday.

The National League have suspended their season in their three divisions until April 3rd after controversially playing on Saturday, only six game went ahead on Saturday though with the biggest crowd at Notts County at around 4200.

Absolutely the right decision, it does mean there will be a bit of congestion next summer with the Nations League finals happening just a few days before the start of the tournament, plus the Women's Euros will now be on at the same time as the Men's but UEFA will have to deal with that when it comes around.

Its the right decision simply because of the situation that Football is in right now.

They can scrap the Nations League easily. I doubt any country involved in both will want to bother with the NL

EFL had a meeting today, from it they said that finishing the season is a primary objective, the EFL trophy final between Portsmouth and Salford due to play on April 5th is now postponed and why it wasn't postponed sooner I don't know, they also announced a short term £50 million relief package to its clubs, fair play to them for that.

Gary Neville has said that the hotel he part owns-Hotel Football-will close this weekend and all 176 beds will be available to NHS staff for free of charge, he also said that no staff at the hotel will be made redundant. 👍

English Football will now not return until April 30th 'at the earliest', it has been decided at an emergency meeting between Premier League clubs, but the 19/20 season will be extended indefinitely.

Officials from all 20 PL clubs spoke over conference call this morning to co-ordinate a strategy for completing the fixture list in the wake of the virus and it has been decided that the Premier League, English Football League and Women's Football will continue to be suspended until April 30th.

Very sad to hear about Peter, he was a great player for Cardiff. 35 is obviously a very young age to go.

Thoughts with his family. :(

Any money on the season being cancelled, denying Liverpool a Premier League title?

That would be the Liverpoolest thing ever - having it so completely within their grasp, only to be denied by a global biological apocalypse.
And so it begins... All of this season's football results from every league below National League North/South have been annulled.

Unless they are allowed to play in July, I can't see them finishing this season. Football isn't above public health.

There has been some talk in the press and media in the last few days about the Premier League potentially resuming in June and finishing in mid-July if it its allowed to.

All games should be played behind closed doors, there are still 10 games to play but some teams have a game in hand, there is also the FA Cup to complete and the Champions League and Europa League as well. Next season will have start in September if that maybe the case.

Its an interesting idea but public health must obviously come first, and I think everyone involved has to agree to it, such as the Premier League, FA, UEFA, etc..

Last edited:
The UEFA wants all competitions to be finished on August 3rd. The option to cancel the remaining games stays alive. And because of contracts ending June 30th, there will be another meeting somewhere in April to work out any kinks.

Belgium has cancelled the remainder of the season and declared Club Brugge champions.

UEFA immediately responded with a letter to all their members that the seasons should not be cancelled right away and that it could have consequences for their European tickets for next year.

That shows how rotten the uefa is. Blackmailing your members into irresponsible and pretty much unacceptable behaviour.

Premier League, EFL, FA Women's Super League and Championship seasons are suspended indefinitely until its safe and appropriate to resume.

Premier League also propose a 30% wage reductions for its players and will consult the players on the proposal.

Premier League to advance funds of £125 million to EFL and National League.

Jordan Henderson is organising a Premier League coronavirus crisis fund for the NHS that will run into millions of pounds. The Liverpool captain has spent the last few days contacting the other PL captains to pitch the idea.

Premier League, EFL, FA Women's Super League and Championship seasons are suspended indefinitely until its safe and appropriate to resume.

Premier League also propose a 30% wage reductions for its players and will consult the players on the proposal.

Premier League to advance funds of £125 million to EFL and National League.

Jordan Henderson is organising a Premier League coronavirus crisis fund for the NHS that will run into millions of pounds. The Liverpool captain has spent the last few days contacting the other PL captains to pitch the idea.
Meanwhile Liverpool is also getting the government to pay its non-playing staff 80%.

As are Everton and West Ham, for balance.

I'll expect there'll be a U-turn from Liverpool in the coming days, the reaction to the news that they are putting their non-playing staff on furlough hasn't gone down well at all.

It is surprising from Liverpool, they have always been a very decent club and had morals. Plus the furlough thing from the government is meant to help small-medium sized businesses, not a Football club that generated £150 million in revenue last year and whose owners are worth £2 billion.

Gareth Southgate is taking a 30% wage cut.

Mick McCarthy has left his role as Ireland manager and has been replaced with Stephen Kelly with immediate effect, McCarthy's contract was due to expire in July but decided to step down now, Ireland can still qualify for the now postponed Euros via the play off but no-one knows when they can play those play-off matches, and I think that's why McCarthy decided to leave.

All sports in Australia are facing pay cuts of over 50% I think it's fair to take a paycut since the broadcast revenue is not going to be there since the contracts are not being upheld, and it will put alot of pressure on the clubs who wouldn't be making any revenue whilst they can't fill stadiums and get TV money with minimal merchandise sales.

Sure the clubs are worth alot but at this point your talking about huge wage budgets that will just eat revenue with nothing at all to counter balance it, and most clubs in the Prem depend on broadcast revenue as their primary source of income.

Liverpool reverse their controversial decision to furlough their non-playing staff.

Pep Guardiola's mother has sadly died after contracting the virus.

Tottenham have reversed their controversial decision to use the furlough scheme on 550 staff members and will now play staff in full.

Kenny Dalgleish and Norman Hunter have both contracted the virus, Kenny is now recovering at home with Norman still in hospital, former Chelsea and England goal keeper Peter Bonetti sadly passed away yesterday aged 78 after a long illness that is not thought to be the virus, he made 600 appearances for Chelsea in two spells between 1960-1975 and 1976-1979.

The FA have offered Wembley and its St George's training complex to the Premier League to help facilitate the conclusion of the season, no one still has any real clue as to how or when Football will be back.

Is the BPL still all in on making sure they play the full year? I think in the interest of public safety (and the fact that most positions are solidified), they just play the games that could effect standing?

I think they are committed to finishing the season, no one knows how or when but its likely that games will be played behind closed doors at first, but a lot needs to happen for Football to return.

Is the BPL still all in on making sure they play the full year? I think in the interest of public safety (and the fact that most positions are solidified), they just play the games that could effect standing?
EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back