2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the winter world cup in a couple of seasons, surely this is a perfect opportunity to extend the season until it can be finished, starting the next few seasons in mid-December and then the off-seasons will not clash with the World Cup.

That, or just accept that this'll be the 2020-22 season.

With the winter world cup in a couple of seasons, surely this is a perfect opportunity to extend the season until it can be finished, starting the next few seasons in mid-December and then the off-seasons will not clash with the World Cup.

It isn't that simple, finishing the season is what the league wants to do at the moment, but if the 20-21 season doesn't take place then that'll cost int he region of £3bn of lost TV revenue.

I think as long as they can finish the 19-20 season without stopping the 20-21 season going ahead that will remain the preferred option, but if it puts the 20-21 season at risk (assuming it does boil donw to a choice to finish the current season and scrap next or vice versa) then I can see the preferred option potentially changing.

There will be lost revenue either way but you're comparing a loss of approximately £750m for not finishing this season with approximately £3bn for next season not going ahead.

Of course there's a big chance that if this season can't resume in time for next season to start on time, then it would likely mean that next season couldn't start on time anyway.

The league will follow the money in the end IMO.

Sorry, was using the sponsorship wrongly.
There hasn't been a title sponsor since... well, at least the last three years.

It isn't that simple, finishing the season is what the league wants to do at the moment, but if the 20-21 season doesn't take place then that'll cost int he region of £3bn of lost TV revenue.

I think as long as they can finish the 19-20 season without stopping the 20-21 season going ahead that will remain the preferred option, but if it puts the 20-21 season at risk (assuming it does boil donw to a choice to finish the current season and scrap next or vice versa) then I can see the preferred option potentially changing.

There will be lost revenue either way but you're comparing a loss of approximately £750m for not finishing this season with approximately £3bn for next season not going ahead.

Of course there's a big chance that if this season can't resume in time for next season to start on time, then it would likely mean that next season couldn't start on time anyway.

The league will follow the money in the end IMO.
Don't forget player contracts. All those players contracted to the clubs until June 1st - teams are going to finish the season with completely different squads.

Most clubs - probably all - are fine with Liverpool winning the league, but any strategy that involves not playing and awarded finishing positions based on results in matches played, or estimated results for unplayed matches, will affect the clubs that qualify for Europe (if the Europa and Champions Leagues even start next season), how much money each team gets based on ladder payments, and - crucially - who gets relegated (and promoted to replace them). It'll result in endless lawsuits, with clubs pointing to results like Watford beating Liverpool to claim their finishing position should be better than a results panel decided.

Looks like the Newcastle takeover is finally happening.

PCP Capital Partners have agreed a deal to buy Newcastle and end Mike Ashley's 13-year tenure as clubs owner, the move is also funded by Saudi Public Investment Fund but for some reason there is no mention of them in the paperwork.

Expect more news on this in the coming days, but they been here before of course, PCP tried to buy Newcastle in 2017 but after months of negotiation the deal fell through.

Barcelona will sell the naming rights for the Camp Nou for a whole year in an effort to raise money for the fight against the virus they have decided to break from tradition and carry a title sponsor for the first time in the 2020/21 season, with the entire fee raised to be used to fight the pandemic around the World.

Newcastle's takeover is now quite close with the deposit being paid and contracts exchanged, all that's needed now is for the prospective new owners to pass the relevant tests and the deal could be completed by the end of the month, Steve Bruce will be given till the end of the season (whenever that is) to prove himself to his new bosses and Allegri and Rafa Benitez have been linked with the job, Amnesty has written to the Premier League to raise concerns over the £300 million purchase of the club by the consortium of buyers including Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

There won't be any sport events (or any events at all) here in the Netherlands until at least September 1st. Therefore the leagues will not be able to finish their programs. I wonder how the UEFA money grabbers will respond to that.

The UEFA Money Grabbers already thinking of stupid ideas to rig next seasons European leagues by giving spots based on Club coefficient if the leagues can't finish the seasons.

They probably ''hurting'' big time with all that lost revenue so they want a super league for next season with as many big clubs as possible.

Dutch FA decided to finish the Eredivisie season yesterday, every team finished where they finished, no promotion or relegation but crucially no champion was crowned as Ajax and Alkmaar were both on 56 points with Ajax only top on goal difference, Ajax do get a Champions League place though.

Meanwhile the Bundesliga could return on May 9th, Germany are starting to ease some of their restrictions and pending government approval the league Football there could return whilst being played behind closed doors in a few weeks time.

The French Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 will not resume after the French Prime Minister announced no sporting events, even those behind closed doors, could take place before September. The French FA will meet soon to discuss the implications of this and what to do with promotion, relegation and European places.

The Premier League and other European leagues had been given until the 25th May by UEFA to provide plans to restart their season.

Arsenal and Tottenham have had some of their players back for training but they are training apart and doing individual sessions

So, the debate rages about who is the GOAT, with most coming down on the side of Messi or Ronaldo. Personally I've always picked Messi but having just watched the below video might have to change my mind. The blindfold and crossbar clips are unbelievable.

Ronaldinho is one of the few players in history who can make you smile no matter your mood or supported team.

I've always supported Man United and Real Madrid, but Ronaldinho made me actually want to watch a lot of Barca matches back in the day.

Still remember when the crowd at Santiago Bernabeu gave him a standing ovation.

The Premier League remain committed to finishing the season and restarting around June following the meeting today, there is still no plans regarding whether the games will be played at neutral venues but some clubs have started bringing their players in for training (all doing individual sessions of course) and there is obviously the question of testing and what will happen to the Championship, Leagues One and Two and the FA Cup.

Italian clubs will be back in training this coming week after their lockdown restrictions are being eased and they also want to restart in June.

PSG were crowned Ligue 1 Champions one again yesterday after Ligue 1 and 2 was decided on points-per-game.

A number of different leagues are looking at timetables to resume seasons. You know, granted the seasons weren't canceled. Bundesliga is looking at May 16 to return to play. It's a slow process to safely return to sports (let alone soccer/football), but at least progress is being made. Hopefully your favorite leagues and teams return efficiently.

So the Premier League had its meeting today with all 20 clubs being represented via video call.

In a statement released by PL chief executive Richard Masters afterwards it said that all clubs remain committed to finishing the season and that no clubs have asked to void the season, there has been one issue and that is the neutral venues with as many as six teams against the idea as they feel its against he integrity of the league but the issue of neutral venues wasn't raised at the meeting today.

In terms of return dates nothing concrete came out of the meeting with clubs still hoping to return to training from next week but a potential re-start in June is still on the cards with the government's roadmap for exiting lockdown (which was published on Monday) stating that cultural and sporting events may return without crowds from June 1st.

So the Premier League had its meeting today with all 20 clubs being represented via video call.

In a statement released by PL chief executive Richard Masters afterwards it said that all clubs remain committed to finishing the season and that no clubs have asked to void the season, there has been one issue and that is the neutral venues with as many as six teams against the idea as they feel its against he integrity of the league but the issue of neutral venues wasn't raised at the meeting today.

In terms of return dates nothing concrete came out of the meeting with clubs still hoping to return to training from next week but a potential re-start in June is still on the cards with the government's roadmap for exiting lockdown (which was published on Monday) stating that cultural and sporting events may return without crowds from June 1st.

I think integrity went out the window weeks ago. They just need to figure out how to finish this season the best way possible.

Bundesliga is back this week, its the first major league to return and here are the games.

Saturday
Borussia Dortmund v Schalke
Eintracht Frankfurt v Borussia Monchengladbach (5.30)
FC Augsberg v Wolfsburg
Fortuna Dusseldorf v SC Paderborn
Hoffenheim v Hertha Berlin
RB Leipzig v SC Freiberg

Sunday
FC Koln v Mainz 05 (2.30)
FC Union Berlin v Bayern Munich (5pm)

Monday
Werder Bremen v Bayer Leverkusen (7.30)

Games are 2.30pm GMT kick-off unless stated otherwise, BT Sport will show all the games live in the UK and there will be a highlights show on Saturday night.

I will post all the major league games (when they come back!) every Friday until the Premier League returns.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English League Two have voted to end their season early pending EFL and FA approval, top three team will be promoted as normal to League One, promotion play offs will still take place and no teams will be relegated to the National League.

Its unclear how final places will determined but points per game and promotion on merit are both being considered.

I heard one Belgian league shut down their season in response to COVID-19/Coronavirus. Sad break. I am otherwise pretty cool with Bundesliga getting back underway.

Even without fans, it is great seeing some sort of live sports return. I saw mostly Borussia Dortmund smash FC Schalke 04 4-0 from around the 73rd minute of that match. Congratulations to all the other winners from this return of Bundesliga.

Even without fans, it is great seeing some sort of live sports return. I saw mostly Borussia Dortmund smash FC Schalke 04 4-0 from around the 73rd minute of that match. Congratulations to all the other winners from this return of Bundesliga.

I didn,t watch it but heard the news after?

Goal celebration?

Plus a lot about the social distancing during the game both for subs on the bench to cleaning the ball during the match.
"During the match, substitutes had to sit far apart to comply with the social distancing guidelines, match balls were disinfected during the match and teams were allowed to use up to five substitutes.

Players were also not allowed to swarm during celebrations and cameramen all wore their own protective gear to remain safe"

'Bizarre, sterile and eerie'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52696930

Missed all the games yesterday because I was in work, Cologne v Mainz is at half time and its 1-0 to Cologne thanks to an Uth penalty after just five minutes, Union Berlin v Bayern is on at 5pm.

Missed all the games yesterday because I was in work, Cologne v Mainz is at half time and its 1-0 to Cologne thanks to an Uth penalty after just five minutes, Union Berlin v Bayern is on at 5pm.

Mainz went down 2-0 but stormed back with two goals to save a point at 2-2. Lewandowski just scored on a penalty kick to give Bayern a 0-1 lead nearing halftime.

Celtic have been crowned Scottish Premiership champions for the ninth successive season after the SPFL opted to end the current campaign, It also means Hearts are relegated to the Championship for the second time since 2014, Celtic held a 13-point gap to Rangers in second place having played one more game, Motherwell finished 3rd. Hearts are considering legal action and you cant really blame them.

In the Premier League meanwhile clubs have unanimously voted in favour of resuming training in small groups from Tuesday. League officials, medical experts and representatives from all 20 sides held talks via video call on Monday and agreed to stage one of return to training protocols, which enables squads to train while maintaining social distancing but contact training is not yet permitted, June 12th is still being touted as a possible date for the league resuming, and tomorrow will be an important first step towards that.

Premier League confirm six positive tests for coronavirus from three clubs after first phase of mass testing, 748 tests were carried out and the six players and staff who tested positive will now self-isolate for seven days. I think only 6 out of 748 is quite encouraging.

Man City's appeal against their Champions League ban will be heard by CAS between June 8th-10th.

I haven't felt the need to post or update anything in here since everything shut down. It just felt redundantly circular. But that said...

CONNAH'S QUAY HAVE WON THE CYMRU PREMIER
CONNAH'S BLOODY QUAY ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF WALES

VtpXDgg.gif

See you in the 2021 Champions League final.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back