2019 Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix de FranceFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 141 comments
I wonder how the stewards would judge this, it's not the same sceniaro as Vettel and he came back onto the track in a much different way, but there wasn't exactly much options here.

The run off made it look completely comical though, a 5 Second Penalty would be stupid harsh in this case, but it's the only punishment they can give right?

Race Recap:

Lewis Hamilton: was on the back foot against Valterri through Practice and most of Qualifying, but he pulled extra time out of his arse when it mattered, in Q3. Then he pulled some more extra time out of there in his second lap in Q3, against a strong headwind. Then pulled some more extra time on Bottas out on track. Valterri looked like he had Lewis' number this season, but Hamilton just made a big statement here.

Valterri Bottas: Just seemed nowhere all race long, and almost lost it to LeClerc at the end. Kept it together... just... making for a Mercedes 1-2.

Charles LeClerc: Great first lap battle, then fell into a rhythm. Looked comfortable ahead of Verstappen. An odd occurrence, as he's usually the slower Ferrari on track. And on the same tires, he actually took the fight to Mercedes near the end.

Max Verstappen: The car just wasn't there for him. Great first lap scrap with LeClerc. Wish it'd lasted all race long. Feel like he's pulling that Red Bull up where it shouldn't be, given what Gasly was doing further back.

Sebastian Vettel: When you're on two lap old soft tires in a hot Ferrari and can only beat a Merc on old hards by 0.002 seconds, that tells you something, doesn't it?

Carlos Sainz: Good race run. McLaren is officially back. Well, an entire lap a race back, but back... erh.

Daniel Ricciardo: Had an action-packed race for Renault. Will with-hold judgment until the stewards give theirs. Seems like he will definitely merit a penalty there.

Kimi Raikkonen: BWOAH. Awesome first stint on the hard tires. Puts basement dwelling team-mate to shame. Alfa Romeo should pay him an extra million dollars for this weekend alone. Ice cream coupons also acceptable.

Nico Hulkenberg: That's a result, I guess? Renault's new engines seem to like this track.

Lando Norris: Absolutely gutted. That first lap tussle put him on the back foot, though it was exciting to watch. He backed out wisely to avoid an accident, but just couldn't take back that place that McLaren teammate Sainz snatched from him at the start. Then the hydraulics went and so did his seventh place.

No one else matters. Especially not Pierre Gasly in that second Red Bull. Or the entire Haas team.

Some news in between the "action" by Dutch commentary. Apparently the proposed changes to Zandvoort are not enough to get FIA grade 1 needed for F1, and there are financial problems to do the necessary unexpected changes

Sky team mentioned that Bottas mentioned he struggled with the tires on the VSC restart. That's what led Leclerc to catch up.

I'm wondering what the standards for this "Driver of the day "? Lando was out raced by his teammate who started behind him, so I'm not getting the logic?

I'm wondering what the standards for this "Driver of the day "? Lando was out raced by his teammate who started behind him, so I'm not getting the logic?
He was struggling with hydraulic problems, and still keeping up. It was ruined by a dirty move from Ricciardo in the last lap (by that time, most votes had already happened).

If you disagree, vote for your preference at f1.com/vote during the race

for one thing he was best of the rest in qualy. In the race, even though he was out raced by his teammate, he had the pace to push until his hydraulic issues which he managed beautifully and kept the car ahead for as long as he did and even though he dropped down, he still finished in the points...I think there should be some recognition for that.

That being said, there's no real standards because it's based on viewers vote.

He was leading the voting before his hydraulic issues struck. I know he was nursing his car, but this is unfair to some extent.

Qualy has nothing to do with it mate.

He was leading the voting before his hydraulic issues struck. I know he was nursing his car, but this is unfair to some extent.
Hamilton was actually, so I'm sure you would have been thrilled by that. It's voted for by the fans and means absolutely nothing. Why are you getting your knickers in such a twist?

Norris got the vote because of how he managed the issues. He had been asking to pass Sainz earlier too. As Ricciardo closed in and he defended well, it became a bit of a deserved pity vote though as he managed them.

Just curious, has there been a team in F1 who went on to win every single race in a season? Not insinuating that the Merc will do it (after all, it's been only 8 races and there still 13 to go), but if they do manage to achieve that, I wonder if I would be the only one who would find that very hilarious :lol:

haha that post race interview and then Hulk (he is half Dutch) started talking to Max. Luckily they still have a good sense of humor.

4th place is not good enough. right Max :lol:

It shows again that somehow Max is better then his material. Oooh and dad Jos had some good conversation with Ferrari. Let the gossip begin/continue.

It seems the RedBulls have a gap of 60HP withFerrari and Mercedes.

haha that post race interview and then Hulk (he is half Dutch) started talking to Max. Luckily they still have a good sense of humor.

4th place is not good enough. right Max :lol:

It shows again that somehow Max is better then his material. Oooh and dad Jos had some good conversation with Ferrari. Let the gossip begin/continue.

It seems the RedBulls have a gap of 60HP withFerrari and Mercedes.

Full translation:
"Where did you finish?"
"4th"
"That's not good enough, Max, no no no"
"Where did you finish?"
"9th..."
"Why didn't you just cut the track in the last lap"
"Yeah, should've done that, 🤬"

Good banter there :lol:

Just curious, has there been a team in F1 who went on to win every single race in a season? Not insinuating that the Merc will do it (after all, it's been only 8 races and there still 13 to go), but if they do manage to achieve that, I wonder if I would be the only one who would find that very hilarious :lol:
Pre race that said on DUtch TV that long ago (i think it was 87/88) McLaren had 17/18 wins in one season and that's still the record

I'd give that race a 4.5/10. Not brilliant, but not boring. There was enough action back in the pack to avoid it being a procession, but the "battle" at the front sucked. Still, overtaking at Paul Ricard - especially into the chicane on the Mistral - is good and possible.

I'd give that race a 4.5/10. Not brilliant, but not boring. There was enough action back in the pack to avoid it being a procession, but the "battle" at the front sucked. Still, overtaking at Paul Ricard - especially into the chicane on the Mistral - is good and possible.
3.6, not great, not terrible

Pre race that said on DUtch TV that long ago (i think it was 87/88) McLaren had 17/18 wins in one season and that's still the record
15/16 in 1988, only denied by an errant sub in a Williams at Monza.

Latest Posts

Back