• Lance Stroll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kimi Raikkonen

• Alexander Albon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't walk the track myself so I can't say for certain if there's a gutter there or not, but from where I was sitting it was literally just grass, 1m of asphalt then grass again. His front wing caught on the second tuft of grass/dirt and that was that. It's very odd design and I don't think it was like that in previous years so who knows why it changed this year.
It will have been there since 1996 and have never caused a problem before. It has been an issue this year, and as it affected the home hero the issue has been blown up a lot more than it needs to have been. Basically, we have a water clearing ditch that has been as dramatic as Glock's crash in 2008. It wasn't an issue until someone went off track onto it and paid the price a bit too dramatically. It'll be fixed for next year and we'll not need to talk about it again.

So is this really a big deal? It's the natural penalty for not driving on tarmac. Will they raise front wings slightly and in turn lose some front downforce? Doubt it. So do we enforce a lower grass height? That would be geting a bit ridiculous right? How about he learns and doesn't make such a risky move next time, and pays more attention to spots like that when making track walks?

It's funnier than a rubber crutch that the only Australian, a savvy veteran professional driver on his home course, the Australian GP, eliminates his multimillion dollar self and his multimillion dollar car before the first corner blithely driving off into the landscaping. It would be even funnier if I hadn't lost money on my bets. :grumpy: It makes the whole thing look ridiculous, random and clownish. I knew these grotesque front wings would be a problem, and this is just the beginning.

It will have been there since 1996 and have never caused a problem before. It has been an issue this year, and as it affected the home hero the issue has been blown up a lot more than it needs to have been. Basically, we have a water clearing ditch that has been as dramatic as Glock's crash in 2008. It wasn't an issue until someone went off track onto it and paid the price a bit too dramatically. It'll be fixed for next year and we'll not need to talk about it again.

I just googled "Albert Park pitlane exit" and you're right. It does seem that the strip of tarmac has been there in previous years. I can't recall from all the footage and times I've driven on this track in a game that the grass was interrupted like that, but I guess it has never been an issue till now so I haven't paid any attention.

The gutter (lying parallel) to the track isn't the problem though. It's the grass-tarmac-grass arrangement. If it had been grass-tarmac or even grass all the way it wouldn't have taken out his front wing even if he'd driven all over it. As you said it will probably be fixed next year and we'll all forget about it (except Danny).

The gutter (lying parallel) to the track isn't the problem though. It's the grass-tarmac-grass arrangement.

Which is also a "gutter", it's a lower channel cut through a higher surface. Whether that's for feet or water flow makes no difference.

Which is also a "gutter", it's a lower channel cut through a higher surface. Whether that's for feet or water flow makes no difference.

O.O I guess you can call the piece of road a gutter, it wouldn't be inaccurate but a rare use of the term. Sliproad would be more appropriate in this case but hey, English is not my first language so what do I know?

So is this really a big deal? It's the natural penalty for not driving on tarmac. Will they raise front wings slightly and in turn lose some front downforce? Doubt it. So do we enforce a lower grass height? That would be geting a bit ridiculous right? How about he learns and doesn't make such a risky move next time, and pays more attention to spots like that when making track walks?

100%. Ricciardos fault for not picking it up on the track walk.

Back