• Lance Stroll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kimi Raikkonen

• Alexander Albon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ricciardo's hoping this move is going to go like Hamilton's move to Mercedes in 2013. Everyone thought that was a stupid move when it was announced in 2012, but look at it now. Renault have the ambition and money to move up the grid if they get their act together.

Renault have the funding to be a top F1 team, they have the driver lineup already in place. 2021 regs (if they come through) could reset the field. Maybe Danny never wins a race again, but maybe he played a smart bet and will end up with a world championship 2-4 years from now

It's to be hoped that the Renault F1 project continues - Abiteoul sees no reason why it won't in the short term but it was no secret that Ghosn was one of the few fans of the project at board level.

I think you nailed it when you said "short term". Until the new 2021 Concord Agreement is put in place, and we hear the chatter coming from the teams, it's hard to say who is invested and who isn't. What's the over/under on teams threatening to quit over the 2021 regs?

Ricciardo's hoping this move is going to go like Hamilton's move to Mercedes in 2013. Everyone thought that was a stupid move when it was announced in 2012, but look at it now. Renault have the ambition and money to move up the grid if they get their act together.

To be honest, I don't see anyone putting a dent in Mercedes' armor. I give Renault a chance when the regs change, but before that I think Mercedes is way too far ahead of everyone.

Every time Mercedes gets involved in racing, it dominates until some colossal disaster puts an end to it. Some things never change.

Personally, I say get rid of all major auto factory involvement. F1 racing was at its best in the 70's when sensible people ran Cosworths and eccentric enthusiasts ran BRMs, Matras and Ferraris.

Every time Mercedes gets involved in racing, it dominates until some colossal disaster puts an end to it. Some things never change.

Personally, I say get rid of all major auto factory involvement. F1 racing was at its best in the 70's when sensible people ran Cosworths and eccentric enthusiasts ran BRMs, Matras and Ferraris.
But professionalism and stuff.

These regs which have been heavily dependent on a Manufacturer making good engine and ERS system matched to a chassis, have been a disaster for F1 competition wise, Redbull dominated the last regs as well from mid 2009 till the end of 2013, as is the case with modern F1 once you get a sizeable advantage at the early stages of a new regulation change as long as you have a good budget and team you can maintain that advantage all the way to the end.

It seems Ferrari was having some cooling issues with their PU, the next three races are going to hurt if they can't fix it on time.

The team order is a non issue. Vettel was much faster when they were on the same tires, the only reason why Leclerc caught up was because of Ferrari putting Vettel on mediums too early to try and undercut Hamilton and protect themselves from Verstappen. That compound did not seem to work very well either. I don't really blame Ferrari for ordering them to hold station, they were in the middle of nowhere and would not have scored any more points.

It's laughable that some people are questioning Ferrari's logic here, it’s almsot as if they have no idea what goes on during these races. There was literally nothing to gain by letting them fight it out.

Leclerc will be on Vettel's level sooner or later, he just needs time.

Last edited:
At which point, he will still be asked to remain behind :lol:

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the circumstances. If he wants to beat Vettel then he must at least out qualify him first, he does not seem any quicker atm.

Last edited:
Leclerc will be on Vettel's level sooner or later, he just needs time.

He was already there in the race. While a full weekend might take him a month or so, I think the pressure is going to come thick and fast and while I don't think he'll attack Vettel the way Vettel did to Webber, the pressure of his abilities will cause a lot of internal pressure for Vettel at Ferrari

I don't think Renault has got the commitment and cash that Mercedes did to make this switch turn out like the fairy tale Hamilton had. I remember at the time Mercedes had just come 5th in the constructors championship and everyone thought he was mad! Kind of already feeling like Danny has made a horrendous mistake (if podiums are what he's after).

I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Cyril saying Danny needs to have thicker skin. It seems pretty early in the relationship for A) Anything to be under Danny's skin B) Cyril to make a public piece of criticism about his new superstar driver

He was already there in the race.

He was only there because of Vettel's bad strategy, when they were both on the same tires Vettel was considerably quicker. When Leclerc switched to hards, Vettel had already done 14 laps or so on his mediums and had to nurse them to end while also driving in a really conservative engine setting.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=1018&graf=3&dr1=Sebastian Vettel&dr2=Charles Leclerc

I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Cyril saying Danny needs to have thicker skin. It seems pretty early in the relationship for A) Anything to be under Danny's skin B) Cyril to make a public piece of criticism about his new superstar driver

To be fair though, it wasn't a very good start to the season considering his pay grade. Dan has no one but himself to blame for losing his FW over the grass.

He was only there because of Vettel's bad strategy, when they were both on the same tires Vettel was considerably quicker. When Leclerc switched to hards, Vettel had already done 14 laps or so on his mediums and had to nurse them to end while also driving in a really conservative engine setting.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=chart&gp=1018&graf=3&dr1=Sebastian Vettel&dr2=Charles Leclerc

To be fair though, it wasn't a very good start to the season considering his pay grade.

Yeah he was on the better strategy, but that wasn't his and Vettel's making, that was the team. If he'd not been told to hold his ground he'd have passed Vettel with ease. That's a pretty big deal to make on his debut for Ferrari, in only his second season.

If he'd not been told to hold his ground he'd have passed Vettel with ease. That's a pretty big deal to make on his debut for Ferrari, in only his second season.

Considering the circumstances that led up to it, is it really a big deal though? I don't see it that way at all tbh.

Considering the circumstances that led up to it, is it really a big deal though? I don't see it that way at all tbh.

I'd say it's promising.

You compare his first few races at Sauber and Marcus kept him in check, until Leclerc found his feet. Now granted the jump from the Sauber to the Ferrari isn't as big as GP2 to F1, but it's still a pretty big jump and his comparison isn't a back-marker its a 4x world champion.

I mean, I'm not jumping up and down, but in his first race he managed to get Ferrari to enforce team orders. I'd say that's a pretty good start to his season.

It's my second time watching a race live on track (before was 2007, when Kimi won), and I must say the result was a good surprise. Crushing victory by Bottas and well deserved full points. Here's hoping he can pull a Rosberg 2016 and keep the momentum through the year. Ferrari have got an awful lot to do and Leclerc looks a bit ragged as well. Honda is the biggest surprise, we know they have improved but to be fighting with Ferrari is incredible. Pitstop disaster again for Haas, though thankfully only one car affected this time. Local boy Danny is just unlucky. He lost his wing right in front of where I was sitting. I bet the circuit organisers will make sure the grass is cut extra short next year. Also, I hope the move to Renault isn't Alonso V2.0. Alfa isn't as quick as expected. Williams is as slow as expected. They are sitting ducks really, completely in a different league to everybody else. I feel for Russell and Kubica. Speaking of rookies, I think we have a really good bunch this year. While still lacking in pure pace, all of them drove a solid consistent race and didn't do any boneheaded moves. I can see a good future for all of them.

It's quite interesting comparing the cars live since I last saw them in 2007. It sounds MUCH louder in real life than it is on TV (though still not ear piercing like the V8s). Proper angry too, with pops, barks and crackles, especially the Hondas. You can hear small subtleties between the engine manufacturers that you can't pick up on TV, its so interesting. The cars also look more imposing and physical to drive than 2007. I also love the new rear wing end plate lights, very futuristic.

Roll on the rest of 2019 👍

Dan has no one but himself to blame for losing his FW over the grass.

Speaking of this, is it common to have that much of an elevation change that close to the edge of the track on the start/finish line? It looked like there was quite a sudden edge to where the grass met the paved area and I had always assumed that the edges of the track in areas like that were fairly smooth to make them as safe as possible.

EDIT: Ricciardo himself said he doesn't feel like that sort of gutter is present in many other places:

"I feel that was pretty unlucky"

"I just put two wheels in [the grass] and the next thing there's a massive gutter there, or gutter ditch, which I don't feel is on many other places."

I wonder how much time people spend on their track walks looking at the side of the track that's opposite the racing line?

Speaking of this, is it common to have that much of an elevation change that close to the edge of the track on the start/finish line? It looked like there was quite a sudden edge to where the grass met the paved area and I had always assumed that the edges of the track in areas like that were fairly smooth to make them as safe as possible.

EDIT: Ricciardo himself said he doesn't feel like that sort of gutter is present in many other places:

If there's rain though, and that gutter stops a river across the start line, no one would be moaning.

If there's a wall there and not grass, Ricciardo wouldn't be there.

If there's rain though, and that gutter stops a river across the start line, no one would be moaning.

I dunno, that would certainly liven up the race starts in the rain ;)
I was thinking that it should probably be a flat drainage grate rather than a ditch but maybe that doesn't allow enough flow off the track when it rains.

Not a terribly exciting race, but the result was interesting - I'd personally like to see Vettel and Hamilton struggle if it makes for a more interesting season. A damned shame Leclerc was stuck behind Vettel (shades of Schumacher here). Good for Bottas, though sad for Ocon. Outside of breaking his wing, I hope there was something wrong with Kubica's car (excluding the fact it's a Williams) because at that pace he'll be kicked from future races being off the pace so bad. Really poor showing there.

Not a terribly exciting race, but the result was interesting - I'd personally like to see Vettel and Hamilton struggle if it makes for a more interesting season. A damned shame Leclerc was stuck behind Vettel (shades of Schumacher here). Good for Bottas, though sad for Ocon. Outside of breaking his wing, I hope there was something wrong with Kubica's car (excluding the fact it's a Williams) because at that pace he'll be kicked from future races being off the pace so bad. Really poor showing there.
Williams understand the fundamental issue they have with their car but it’s going to take a fair while to put it right. Don’t expect them to be on the pace of the rest for quite some time.

I didn't walk the track myself so I can't say for certain if there's a gutter there or not, but from where I was sitting it was literally just grass, 1m of asphalt then grass again. His front wing caught on the second tuft of grass/dirt and that was that. It's very odd design and I don't think it was like that in previous years so who knows why it changed this year.

I didn't walk the track myself so I can't say for certain if there's a gutter there or not, but from where I was sitting it was literally just grass, 1m of asphalt then grass again. His front wing caught on the second tuft of grass/dirt and that was that. It's very odd design and I don't think it was like that in previous years so who knows why it changed this year.

It was unfortunate for Ricciardo but he has to cop that one for not picking it in the track walk.

Back