Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The winter break is nearly over and we're almost back racing.An incredible amount of driver changes have shaken up the grid, with only two teams retaining both drivers. testing as usual gave us clues as to the running order, but nothing can be trusted. A million questions are being asked, and we will have to wait until the chequered flag falls before any can be answered. We have points for the fastest lap for the first time since the 1950's, less complicated tyre markings and front wings that should allow cars to follow each other batter. After a few years of dire racing in Melbourne, this will be a proper test for the new regulations. Let's see what we see at the AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX.
image.png

Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit
First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.303km

Race Distance
307.574 km

Lap Record
1:24.125 Michael Schumacher (2004)

Qualifying Lap Record
1:21.164 Lewis Hamilton (2018)​

Can't believe it's a race weekend again!

Pretty excited despite Australia not really being a great track for overtaking. I pinned my vote on Vettel despite being a Hamilton fan and of the opinion Lewis will get his 6th title. I think the Ferrari package out of the gates will be stronger than the Merc's, but who knows, maybe the dirty air reduction can finally allow for a proper battle at the front!

Let's see how the teams are this year, hoping for some good competitive races between the drivers. Hamilton will probably win that 6th title, but hoping Verstappen gets his fair share of podiums this year. And Leclerc is someone we should definitely watch out for this year!

I reckon Charles Leclerc is going to outqualify Vettel if there is no Mechanical issues.

I feel like Ferrari being Ferrari they will back Vettel even if he is slower because they love shooting themselves in the foot.

I think Vettel/Leclerc 2019 will be very similar to Alonso/Hamilton 2007, but not expecting moments like purposely holding each other up in the pitlane.

I reckon Leclerc will bin it a couple of times in the first half of the season trying to push too hard, but will be faster and more consistent than Vettel in the second half of the season, with Vettel not taking it too well and their relationship sours a little.

I voted Vettel based on the the practice results from earlier. That said I'm well aware that Mercedes could have been sandbagging during those tests.

I have some rather bold predictions for this one:
-Charles Leclerc will win the race
-Ricciardo will finish 3rd
-A rookie will finish in the top 10 (Norris, Albon or Russell)
But either way I'm very excited to attend my home race once again... Even if I have just have grandstand tickets for Saturday.

That F1 launch event was some of the most cringy TV I have ever seen, who was that Brit lady interviewer she looked high on coke.

Who replaces Whiting? I dont remember a grand prix without him.

This was such a sudden and tragic event that I doubt anyone in the FIA was prepared for it.

So currently, and at least for the Australian GP, I don't think it's a case of "who" singular, but rather "who" multiple - meaning those who worked closely with him are likely to take over in their particular areas of expertise.

It's a large hole that's been left, and that can't be filled overnight.

Despite the sad news about Charlie hopefully it is ok to mention I'm eagerly looking forward to watch the first and second training within a couple of hours.
Early call for those on this side of the globe but hopefully worth watching the first real comparisons, reveals etc after the annual Barcelona training sessions.

Let's hope for an unforgettable season!

the #lookIhaveacarbonsteeringwheelcam on the other hand ;)

Ok ok it's only FP1, says nothing, but like the very close gap between the top three

Bottas nearly clipped the rear wing on the wall spinning the car around after his little off in the second to last corner.

Very interesting year ahead. I predict (and hope) Leclerc will pull an upset win but realistically it's probably Hamilton/Vettel unless something goes wrong for either of them.

As for the rest of the season, I think Hammy will still get his 6th WDC due to his tenacity, but Ferrari will get the WCC due to Bottas underperforming. Honda teams will surprise surprise be competitive and reliable (Alonso's reverse luck factor). Alfa will be best of the rest with a surprise podium (or two) by Iceman. Renault/Haas will fight for top half of midfield, and Toro Rosso/Racing Point/McLaren for bottom half. Williams, as much as I'd like Kubica to do well, will be nowhere.

And finally, Rest in Peace Charlie Whiting. F1 starts wouldn't be the same without you.

This is a Good Thing - the sponsors get far more exposure at those kinds of speeds.

Honestly though... when do they start work on the 2020 car? Some time this afternoon?
With the current management I'm not sure them going back in time three years so they could get a head start of the 2019 reg's would actually produce anything other than a back marker.

I think the fact that Williams have lost their two biggest names in the management group, Rob Smedley and Paddy Lowe strikes me as the issue being higher up than the actually guys doing the work. It can't be too much longer until Claire is the one to go... surely

I think the fact that Williams have lost their two biggest names in the management group, Rob Smedley and Paddy Lowe strikes me as the issue being higher up than the actually guys doing the work. It can't be too much longer until Claire is the one to go... surely

Her older brother always felt that he should have become Principal and the two no longer speak due to that. The issue's covered in the recent Williams documentary that may still be on BBC iPlayer. I wonder if he's fineigling behind the scenes to get the job - it wouldn't surprise me.

Her older brother always felt that he should have become Principal and the two no longer speak due to that. The issue's covered in the recent Williams documentary that may still be on BBC iPlayer. I wonder if he's fineigling behind the scenes to get the job - it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah I know, but I don't think someone with that attitude would make for a good or inspiring leader of a failing team. While Williams should remain family owned, perhaps family run it should not be.

It's on Netflix and I just watched it this week and was thinking exactly what you mentioned about the brother.
Something has to give and it's such a shame for a team with the past that Williams has had.

Back