Formula 1 2019 Formula One World Championship

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by mustafur, Apr 13, 2019.

1. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Ha, ha! And Gasly even takes the fastest lap point from Vettel at the end. Pathetic race from Ferrari.

2. PaMu1337

PaMu1337

Albon in the points :tup:

PzR Slim likes this.
  3. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

And pulled a whole six tenths on Leclerc in 8 or so laps whilst backing him into Max after being let past...

4. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Three one-two's for Merc has got to be a huge surprise to them and pretty devastating for Ferrari after testing.

5. JarreauPique

JarreauPique

Wasn’t the most exciting race, Ferrari needs to change their strategy cause you have to two equal drivers racing now and favoring one over the other. It’s not like Raikkonen and Vettel last year, change it up.. And you can see that the Ferrari’s are still not holding up well to the Mercedes cars, very disappointing.

Great race from Hamilton though, getting that 75th win! And also good driving from Bottas, shame he lost that first position early at the start and never retained it which is disappointing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  6. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Ferrari ruined Leclerc’s race with that strategy, they went full Kimi on him. No idea what the idea of doing that was, pitted too late to defend 4th and then too late to attack it... ruined a good on track battle between their drivers.

Also a bit disappointed by Bottas, he just had no pace compared to Lewis. I thought after the stops they’d have a battle but nope...

Albon had a great race but it was pretty dull. Good to see the torpedo is back I guess haha

Have to say, from all the hype and the pre-season testing news... Ferrari just hasn’t had the package to be outright the fastest car. Even in Bahrain Vettel was nowhere it was only Leclerc who had the race pace for the win.

PzR Slim likes this.
  7. Tak[TEC]

Tak[TEC]

They're still living 15 years in the past, it's not like Raikkonen is slow (look at how he's doing outside of Ferrari). They just believe the Schumacher style of making a team out of one driver is the way to win, but it's just not the case in the modern day.

F1LMFan, niky, Quakebass and 2 others like this.
  8. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Reckon that could still work if you have the right driving pairing but Vettel is currently not good enough for that to work, just look at the three lock ups today after being let past, and Leclerc is too good to fulfil the wing man role.

lancia delta hf likes this.
  9. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Good thing the next race is Baku with lots of run off and long fast corners making overtaking hard.... oh wai-

10. C-ZETA

C-ZETA

Looks like I didn't miss a thing...sounded like a procession around a largely unremarkable track. A wholly suitable 1000th race for F1, then.

11. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Yawn...

12. andrea

andrea

Leclerc gets to know the Raikkonen strategy today.

13. JarreauPique

JarreauPique

No Raikkonen was not slow at all ofcourse. But yeah this way of favoring one driver and placing bets on that one driver is going to turn sour for Ferrari. The Schumacher days are over, turn your strategy around.

14. Betty blue

Betty blue

Both were locking up. Vettel was marginally quicker. That call was the right thing to do. He was able to be within the DRS zone at the whole time while Leclerc couldn't even with Seb's locks. They messed up Leclerc race after that.

VolkswagenX likes this.
  15. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

See that way up there? That was my point.

16. LordExia

LordExia

I'm starting to think this whole talk about Ferrari having the faster car might just be a "track specific" thing...it's either that or Mercedes are doing a heck of a good job reacting to the Ferrari's potential. Either way, if this keeps up the season might just be a repeat of 2014-2016 where the championship was just between LH & NR.

On a side note I'm no Ferrari fan but I think it was the right call to let Vettel have a go at the mercs, however they didn't have to mess up Leclerc's race this bad. I get that it's only race 3 but to me it's like they are not maximizing their potential for points. Mercedes are generally really strong toward the second half of the season because of Lewis, giving them this much lead at the start of the season will only make it harder toward the latter half not accounting for any reliability issues/DNFs for Mercedes.

Good drive for Lewis. Seeing how he managed the race and with his pace, I think he would have won even if he didn't get the jump on Bottas at the start.

Good showing from Albon. That was a solid drive considering he started from the pit.

VolkswagenX likes this.
  17. VolkswagenX

VolkswagenX

Exactly this. I really wonder if people actually are watching or if they are just waiting for a reason to bash Ferrari?

Betty blue likes this.
  18. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

I really wonder if people actually read what has been written and understand what is being discussed rather than jumping to some incorrect conclusion about a perceived threat to their favourite.

F1LMFan, mustafur, axletramp and 2 others like this.
  19. GroupB

GroupB Premium

20. FoxMulder

FoxMulder

Ferrari is just being Ferrari. Of course they'd fail to live up to their hype and destroy their #2 driver's race.

What sucks is how Redbull is worse this year with one car being a minute off the other at the end of a race.

21. Auditore

Auditore

I've been hearing about Ferrari having the faster car since last year but that never pans out :confused:

22. chromatic9

chromatic9 Premium

I was a bit surprised how Leclerc seemed happy enough with plan b after the switching but I guess you trust the team like Lewis does. Didn't look viable in this race and I'd be resisting if I was right on Vettel. I know Max was on the undercut but I'd like to see Leclerc go up against Max instead of staying out on crap tyres.

Well done Lewis on winning the 1000th Grand Prix.

23. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

Mclaren's luck this season has been abysmal so far. Which is annoying considering they finally have a good car after years of frustration.

Quakebass likes this.
  24. HenrySwanson

HenrySwanson

Fell asleep before the end. Shame about Leclerc

25. Touring Mars

Touring Mars Moderator

I'm watching "'Allo 'Allo!" on Yesterday at the moment... and for the second time in one day, Monsieur Leclerc is forced to make way for a grumpy German who is clearly calling all the shots.

[​IMG]

26. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

It was classic Ferrari strategy. The part where they pitted Leclerc after Vettel passed with DRS was genius.

27. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

This is genius!

Touring Mars likes this.
  28. NightHawkFur

NightHawkFur

Welcome to one of the most boring F1 seasons of i'd say the past 20 years.
    3 more years for Hamilbloke to pass Schumacher.

29. niky

niky Moderator

Ferrari should have switched them sooner, but really, what ruined LeClerc's race is Seb's multiple lock-ups putting them in range of Verstappen. Sure, he also locked-up occassionally, but Seb had one or two big enough that LeClerc could have overtaken him, had he been allowed. If he hadn't been behind Vettel during those incidents, Max should never have been that big a problem.

For a driver of Vettel's caliber, to understeer nearly all the way off the road in the first stint of the race is unforgiveable. That makes two races where his mistakes cost the team precious points.

VolkswagenX likes this.
  30. baldgye

baldgye Premium

I think the biggest issue was the strategy he was on. His first stint it seemed like they were going to stretch his tyres to the end and then a sprint on the softs... but then changed their minds so he was in no-Mans land.

Then for his second stint they just left him out to hold up Bottas for a lap and a half, and then, to give Vettel DRS? Like that would some how give Vettel a chance to catch the easily faster Mercedes?? They they didn’t even cover Gasleys fastest lap attempt. It was bizarre, Ferrari just giving no ***** about points what so ever