2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 1,414 comments
You wait for one, and two come along in a week! Super job by Mazda, well deserved that's for sure.

And a another super exciting race all-round, after missing the last few races (though caught the last 30 mins of the Glen) due to IRL commitments, was treated to a cracker at Mosport. IMSA never disapoints, hence why it remains one of favourite race series 👍, looking forward to Lime rock.

Had an outside chance of happening if CORE Autosport made less mistakes (that spin there), better luck, and a bulletproof driver lineup

I just listened to IMSA Radio (don’t have cable) and I heard them say that Colin had contact with Ricky Taylor. Wasn’t that so?

For me and for the RLM crew it’s still a mystery why CORE throws away the pole. They did the same last year if I’m not mistaken. Colin potentially could have capitalized his pace to gain a good track position for Jon and then take it back from him as soon as the drive time minimum is achieved.

I listen to Jeff Braun on MP’s podcast, I’m super impressed but this I just can’t understand...

I just listened to IMSA Radio (don’t have cable) and I heard them say that Colin had contact with Ricky Taylor. Wasn’t that so?

Yeah, there was slight contact, but given where it was on the track it turned into something that could have been major. Bleekemolen must have needed a clean firesuit after that one...

I saw the replay of the IMSA race at Mosport earlier tonight. All I can say is, I'm proud of Team Joest seeming to finally get it together after multiple shortcomings. Watkins Glen and Mosport with Mazda power. Three in a row maybe for Team Joest when Lime Rock comes up? Congratulations to McMurry and Kellett in LMP2. I am equally pleased with Porsche winning in GTLM and Turner Motorsport in GTD. Quite good race for the most part.

Speaking of upcoming races, here is the rest of the schedule up to this point. Looking forward to any of these races?

* July 19-20: Northeast Grand Prix - Lime Rock Park (GT Only)
* August 2-4: Road America - Road America
* August 23-25: Michelin GT Challenge - VIRginia International Raceway (GT Only)
* September 13-15: WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca - Laguna Seca
* October 9-12: Motul Petit Le Mans - Road Atlanta

Bring on Lime Rock!

[UPDATE] Lime Rock is GT only. So then... three in a row at Road America for Joest?

Last edited:
Some of my favorite tracks are still to come! Road America and Laguna Seca are longtime favorites, and Road Atlanta (a newer track to me as I previously followed Grand Am and not ALMS) is quickly growing on me.

If I'm honest, Lime Rock is too little - I would rather see the Indy Road course back on the schedule in its place but it is what it is. VIR has never really taken my interest but after driving it in Forza I'm still giving it a chance. :cheers:

Speaking of upcoming races, here is the rest of the schedule up to this point. Looking forward to any of these races?

* October 9-12: Motul Petit Le Mans - Road Atlanta

This one because I'll be there. It will be kind of sad to see the last race for the screaming Porsche RSR's and this will be the Ford GT's last race.

This one because I'll be there. It will be kind of sad to see the last race for the screaming Porsche RSR's and this will be the Ford GT's last race.
Also probably the Corvettes last race since they're probably going to the mid engine car next year.

I watched a video comparing the sound of the old and new RSR and I had some difficulty telling the difference. I assume it would be more pronounced in person, having experienced the old one first-hand. That thing sure screams!

I am a bit worried for GTLM next year. With the Ford GT likely gone unless privateers continue it and BMW potentially gone as well - I know they are not doing WEC/Le Mans but not sure if RLL will continue on in IMSA - there might be nothing left except for Corvette, Porsche, and occasionally a Risi Ferrari.

I am a bit worried for GTLM next year. With the Ford GT likely gone unless privateers continue it and BMW potentially gone as well - I know they are not doing WEC/Le Mans but not sure if RLL will continue on in IMSA - there might be nothing left except for Corvette, Porsche, and occasionally a Risi Ferrari.
BMW is staying for next year.

We shouldn't forget that Aston Amrtin is at least half arsed looking to get back into GTLM. Now I'm fairly sure Chip will get the call from Ford for DPi, but I don't know if he's willing to have those drivers and crew hang around doing nothing until 2022. *Speculation Incoming* I wonder if Aston will try to poach Chip for 2 years that way he stays busy and they get to be back in GTLM and try to find another team to run the program or start setting up their own in that space of time.

Couple of tweets pertaining to Apollo 11, Magnus Racing, Andy Lally and Lime Rock.
The weather forecast is extreme heat for the event.
A shot of Andy and Dennis Bermudez who was GM that day.

Dennis Bermudez andy lally john potter cpyrt.jpg

Some more info on the Magnus thing:

Magnus Racing will have the first moon landing in mind when it goes racing this Saturday at Lime Rock. The 2h40m Northeast Grand Prix for IMSA’s GT Le Mans and GT Daytona classes falls on the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11’s voyage from earth to the moon, and in honor of the achievement, driver/owner John Potter and Andy Lally will use a custom livery and the one-time use of the No. 11 — a change from its traditional No. 44 — to salute the landing.

https://racer.com/2019/07/17/one-small-step-one-special-salute/amp/

Last edited:
The article below pretty much sums up my concerns for GTLM, though it is interesting to think that Ford may be interested in continuing at least until the new DPi rules take affect.

One point that is well made here is of the audio changes coming. Having been to 2 IMSA races (Mid-Ohio last year and this), I can't express how awesome it is to hear the cars in person rather than on TV. They have a completely different feel - you can literally feel the deep, throaty rumble of the C7.R and likewise the high shriek of the 911 RSR is unmistakable as it drowns out everything else around it. None of that really comes through on TV.

If you are a fan of these cars or cars in general, you owe it to yourself to go see a race this year if you are able. The Ford GT, Corvette, and 911 may all be different/missing next year. That's not to say things will be bad next year, but they will sound different. Hopefully the new 'Vette and 911 will still sound awesome and unique in their own way!

What might IMSA’s GT Le Mans class look like when we rock up to Daytona in early January for the Roar Before the 24? The upcoming unveiling of Corvette’s new C8 super car is likely a fine indicator of where GTLM 2020 is headed. Compared to Corvette’s current C7.R GTLM product that races into Lime Rock Park this weekend, the new version will feature major differences for the eyes and ears, and could have fewer cars to compete with on its debut.

https://racer.com/2019/07/18/pruett-new-corvette-c8-r-leads-intriguing-gtlm-class-of-2020/amp/

Thinking out loud here, but the run Porsche has had so far in GTLM to this point is one of the most impressive things that has happened in a while. To think that CORE went from being the butt of jokes in GTLM to the strongest team in GTLM in a field that includes Corvette Racing (the proverbial flagship factory program for GTE cars outright) deserves to be praised.

Back