2019 Mazda3

Power and prices for the Skyactiv-X and -D variants have been leaked

afa2dultzhvantj6gmwp.png

So the Skyactiv-X will make about 178 horsepower and start around $26,356 when converted.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-much-power-the-2019-mazda-3-will-make-with-th-1832402439

I can understand Mazda USA's trepidation of launching it right now. I'm not sure anyone would buy it:

-More expensive
-Less powerful
-New technology reliability concerns

/frustration: As much as I like Mazda, they don't offer a car right now that I'm interested in buying. The 3 is closest, but I don't want to pay $28k just to get a manual. My dream would be for them to sell a Miata 2-liter equipped Mazda2 with a 6 speed manual. Perky, N/A 180hp @ 2300lbs with room for 4 and a usable hatch. That would be very close to my definition of a perfect car....basically a front wheel drive hatchback Miata.

Ugh I want the hatchback. It exactly suits my needs.

But we're so far into this economic business cycle....how much longer can it last? If I spend $28k on a Mazda, which aren't known for their strong resale value, will I be regretting it immensely in a year or two?

Ugh I want the hatchback. It exactly suits my needs.

But we're so far into this economic business cycle....how much longer can it last? If I spend $28k on a Mazda, which aren't known for their strong resale value, will I be regretting it immensely in a year or two?
In my opinion, if you financial situation leads to worry about car depreciation, you shouldn't be shopping at that price. There's a reason a lot of rich people buy Camrys - they don't care if they lose that money. If you're worried about losing the money then it's just going to be another stressor you have to deal with every day. Get something cheaper because you're going to lose money no matter what you get.

I'm excited for the 2020 Mazda 6 after seeing what they have done with the 3. Similar styling updates along with AWD and the 2.5T should be sweet.

I'm excited for the 2020 Mazda 6 after seeing what they have done with the 3. Similar styling updates along with AWD and the 2.5T should be sweet.

The 6 was updated for 2016 and then again more significantly for 2018. I'm not sure they'll update it again in 2020, unless you know something I don't. Would be great if they updated the infotainment though.

More hopeful than anything at this point. The 2019 doesn't go on sale until at least next month so they have a year to trickle down (or up) the improvements from the 3.

More hopeful than anything at this point. The 2019 doesn't go on sale until at least next month so they have a year to trickle down (or up) the improvements from the 3.
From what I'm hearing, the 2019 is pretty much a stopgap model year for 2020's. It probably explains why they were announced so late but I'd expect 2020 or 2021 Mazda6's to be a more major refresh. If it's 2021, 2019 may be a short model year for the 6.

Isn't the atenza sold in Japan with awd? Wonder why the rest of the world don't get that option.
Demand though it may change when the redesign happens. Look at the Mazda3. They're offered with AWD now globally (I think)

Y
Demand though it may change when the redesign happens. Look at the Mazda3. They're offered with AWD now globally (I think)
Yes, as per that video above.

Mazda seem like they want to start covering their bases. They've got more SUVs, a small FF/AWD, they have a turbo engine and cars with manual transmissions. They only way up from here, is to offer a rwd 4-door coupe.

They only way up from here, is to offer a rwd 4-door coupe.
Yes please.

Edit:
I can't speak for the accuracy of an Australian website, but this article is from last May when the 2018 model was released.
CarsGuide
With the global rollout of an all-new Mazda6 expected in 2020, this (2018 model) is the biggest update the third-generation mid-sizer has seen since it was launched locally in 2012.

Last edited:
I am at my local dealership to get my current 3 serviced - they have the 2019 3s on the lot! (red, on the right)
IMG_20190330_113151.jpg

I'm gonna test drive one soon and let you guys know how it feels.

I'm gonna test drive one soon and let you guys know how it feels.

You'll really like it. Compared to the outgoing 3, it feels much more luxurious. Acceleration is also much more, for lack of a better word, smoother and way less jerky.

I think the Select package Mazda3 is the best bang-for-buck as it pretty much gives one everything they'll probably ever need except for maybe a power seat and bose.

You'll really like it. Compared to the outgoing 3, it feels much more luxurious. Acceleration is also much more, for lack of a better word, smoother and way less jerky.

I think the Select package Mazda3 is the best bang-for-buck as it pretty much gives one everything they'll probably ever need except for maybe a power seat and bose.
It feels a lot more civilized than the 2016 I currently have, that's for sure! It feels much more...Civilized? Mature? I sort of like the sportiness and more direct engagement of my car, though.

It feels a lot more civilized than the 2016 I currently have, that's for sure! It feels much more...Civilized? Mature? I sort of like the sportiness and more direct engagement of my car, though.

Mature is a good way to explain it. Mature but still fun, mefeels.

Mature is a good way to explain it. Mature but still fun, mefeels.
It's gonna necessitate another test drive on my end, as the Kia Soul I tried next door was also fairly promising. My big concern is the absence of the SPCCI/SkyActiv-X engine. Does anyone have any info on when that's due out?

Back