2019 NTT IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

We almost just had another Robert Wickens style crash with Felix.

Thank God everyone seems okay.

Engines are getting warmed back up and all hands are on deck trying to get Rossi back on track. Hopefully we have a clean rest of the race.

Edit: 10 laps seems way too harsh. I think they should still get a penalty for working on the car under a red flag, but considering they weren't the cause of the wreck the minimum 2 laps seems far more fair.

Edit 2: Will Power had to pit with a tire puncture. At least it was under caution.

Last edited:
I wonder if this could spell the end of Pocono for Indycar. Not good when there are major accidents at the same track two years in a row.

I wonder if this could spell the end of Pocono for Indycar. Not good when there are major accidents at the same track two years in a row.

I've heard it's return is in doubt simply because of the attendance, I'd imagine the crashes just make the decision easier.

It's sad that Indy being the sole oval race in the not-so-distant future is a very possible reality.

I've heard it's return is in doubt simply because of the attendance, I'd imagine the crashes just make the decision easier.

It's sad that Indy being the sole oval race in the not-so-distant future is a very possible reality.
I wouldn't say Indy would be the sole oval. But other than Indy, short track would be the focus of the oval schedule in my opinion.

Hard crash for Colton but sounds like he is ok.

Weather also seems to be an issue.

I wouldn't say Indy would be the sole oval. But other than Indy, short track would be the focus of the oval schedule in my opinion.

I suppose Gateway is rather safe considering the attendance has been solid since it returned, but Iowa was a ghost town even before the rain hit (Road America felt more crowded). Hopefully next year they will move the race to later in the day and weather doesn't drive people away.

It's really hard to believe that Santino was public enemy #1 this time last year based on how he has carried himself this year.

Edit: Race is official.

Last edited:
Pocono never should have come back after last year's crash, contract or not. I've hated how the it's shtick for years has been that it's so hard to drive and dangerous, even if the track did put more than the minimum effort possible needed to get headlining events into making it safer. NASCAR is bad enough there, but I'm always straight uneasy watching IRL race there.

And despite the circle jerking that Jalopnik tries to encourage every time an IRL race at an oval comes up, I think it's perfectly reasonable to dislike and call out Pocono specifically as bad without calling for an end to oval racing in the series.

Last edited:
Pocono never should have come back after last year's crash, contract or not. I've hated how the it's shtick for years has been that it's so hard to drive and dangerous, even if the track did put more than the minimum effort possible needed to get headlining events into making it safer. NASCAR is bad enough there, but I'm always straight uneasy watching IRL race there.

It was only Thursday night when I was idly reading through some old posts from maybe a year or two ago and @-Fred- stated in his dislike of the IRL that one of the reasons for it was things like forcing through races like Pocono, being needlessly dangerous with three cars wide on a track unsafe for the series.

And despite the circle jerking that Jalopnik tries to encourage every time an IRL race at an oval comes up, I think it's perfectly reasonable to dislike and call out Pocono specifically as bad without calling for an end to oval racing in the series.
I enjoy watching Indycar, I would say I am more into the road course events, but the 500 and some of the other oval events are exciting to watch.

For me, this is what makes Pocono unacceptable.

And there's this joke of a story from last year as well.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-spt-pocono-20180819-story.html

That's hardly a solution when Pocono Raceway actually wants to continue hosting IndyCar races. What Pocono Raceway, along with most ovals, need to do is raise their SAFER barriers to the height of catch fence. Turn 2 of Pocono Raceway is modeled after Indianapolis Motor Speedway's turns. When you can't get through IMS 3-wide, you shouldn't try the same crazy move in Turn 2 of Pocono Raceway. And even though I'm a fan of Sato, he deserves at least a monetary fine and loss of drivers' points for causing that accident.

Last edited:
That's hardly a solution when Pocono Raceway actually wants to continue hosting IndyCar races. What Pocono Raceway, along with most ovals, need to do is raise their SAFER barriers to the height of catch fence. Turn 2 of Pocono Raceway is modeled after Indianapolis Motor Speedway's turns. When you can't get through IMS 3-wide, you shouldn't try the same crazy move in Turn 2 of Pocono Raceway. And even though I'm a fan of Sato, he deserves at least a monetary fine and loss of drivers' points for causing that accident.
Yes, that seems like a reasonable solution.

I read somewhere that when the tracks began installing all of the Safer barriers, they stretched the limits on available supply of 4 inch square steel tubing.

And that they generally would have been more cost efficient with better advance planning.

Provided the circuits can afford to do it, this would be an appropriate upgrade.

When you look at Pocono and some of the questionable maintenance along with generally low attendance, I have to believe this would be a stretch for them.

If they could do it, great. But I am not a fan of them continuing to race here with the fences as they are.

EDK
I enjoy watching Indycar, I would say I am more into the road course events, but the 500 and some of the other oval events are exciting to watch.

For me, this is what makes Pocono unacceptable.

And there's this joke of a story from last year as well.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-spt-pocono-20180819-story.html

What's worse is that it appeared they were using zip straps to put it together. :scared:

The most shocking, infuriating thing about all this:

Accident happens around the :35-38 seconds mark, and it takes around 2 minutes and 20 seconds (right about the 3 minute point in the clip) for the safety crew to reach Rosenqvist. While he had the visor up which lets us assume he's okay, that sort of reaction time is unnaceptable.

Very low to almost 0% chance that Pocono will not be on the schedule for Indy Car in 2020 and thereafter.

Very low to almost 0% chance that Pocono will not be on the schedule for Indy Car in 2020 and thereafter.
I'm hearing the exact opposite.

Why was Pocono readmitted to the calendar? They hadn't been there for almost 25 years before it was added in 2013.

Who gives a flying 🤬 what Pocono wants?
  1. What about the tens of thousands of race fans who attended IndyCar races at Pocono? What about the drivers who want to continue racing at Pocono? Do you care what they want?
  2. Why do you think it's smart to drive away the few ovals that still want to host IndyCar races? Especially when Pocono Raceway is willing to work with IndyCar to make safety improvements.
  3. Raising the SAFER barrier to the height of the catch fence would eliminate the types of crashes we saw with Wickens and Rosenqvist.
  4. What other superspeedway is willing to replace Pocono Raceway? We would be down to just 2 superspeedways in Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway if we dump Pocono Raceway. How do you hope to maintain IndyCar's unique balance of superspeedways, short ovals, road courses, and street courses?

Last edited:
  1. What about the tens of thousands of race fans who attended IndyCar races at Pocono? What about the drivers who want to continue racing at Pocono? Do you care what they want?
  2. Why do you think it's smart to drive away the few ovals that still want to host IndyCar races? Especially when Pocono Raceway is willing to work with IndyCar to make safety improvements.
  3. Raising the SAFER barrier to the height of the catch fence would eliminate the types of crashes we saw with Wickens and Rosenqvist.
  4. What other superspeedway is willing to replace Pocono Raceway? We would be down to just 2 superspeedways in Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway if we dump Pocono Raceway. How do you hope to maintain IndyCar's unique balance of superspeedways, short ovals, road courses, and street courses?
Not going to go through and defend all of these points, but answering point #4, there's a ton of tracks 1.5 to 2.5 miles that IndyCar could explore either going back to or visiting for the first time.

Even before this past weekend there were rumors about Richmond taking Pocono's spot. I would say the chances of it being off the calendar are quite a bit higher than "very low to 0%".

Eva
I'm hearing the exact opposite.
It's weird. I don't drink yet only drunkenness could have caused me to make that moronic statement. I meant that there is a 0% chance Pocono will be raced on anytime soon by IndyCar. While it will not be given the black eye treatment of Charlotte or Las Vegas, it will mean that IndyCar is trying to leave before the black eye inevitably comes.

What about the tens of thousands of race fans who attended IndyCar races at Pocono?
They'll have to watch whatever replaced if on television, just like I do now that they don't go to Watkins anymore.

What about the drivers who want to continue racing at Pocono? Do you care what they want?
Not to the extent that it overrides the drivers who say they don't want to race there anymore. Not to the extent that it overrides my discomfort that they race there at all.

Why do you think it's smart to drive away the few ovals that still want to host IndyCar races?
[citation needed]

Especially when Pocono Raceway is willing to work with IndyCar to make safety improvements.
Sure they are.

Raising the SAFER barrier to the height of the catch fence would eliminate the types of crashes we saw with Wickens and Rosenqvist.
Great. IRL can look into returning the track after it is done, along with changes to get better medical team response times, elimination of the sections of wall that are still just concrete, and the garbage decrepit catch fencing that wouldn't be covered with SAFER barrier.

That way Pocono won't drag their feet for a few years/decades on it like the always have.
What other superspeedway is willing to replace Pocono Raceway? We would be down to just 2 superspeedways in Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway if we dump Pocono Raceway. How do you hope to maintain IndyCar's unique balance of superspeedways, short ovals, road courses, and street courses
If they somehow can't find a third from the dozen or so other ones in the country, then two is fine by me for now

Last edited:
Back