2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
There's unlikely to be a points deduction, the game was postponed by both clubs. There's likely to be a fine which will be peanuts to United as these things usually are. Ultimtely it's not the players or the managers fault, it's the owners of the club.

The protesters intended to get the game called off and they succeeeded, and in doing so they sent a reminder that the club is only where it is because of it's fans. I fully understand the reasons behind the protest, a number of Liverpool fans wanted to join it too.

Unfortunately a small minority (as often happens) took it too far. I hope those individuals are identified and punished appropriately, but the rest of the protest that was carried out without voilence or stupidity didn't bother me.

Last edited:
There has to be some kind of penalty for the violence, criminal damage and general disruption.
That is for the Police to identify (shouldn't be that hard) and prosecute all those that broke the Law. How much effort will be put into doing that is questionable sadly. :rolleyes: Make a point of finding those involved, and prosecuting, may just go some way to helping there be peaceful protests in the future.

There should be quite a lot of prosecutions too, as loads seemed to get into the ground, on two occasions I think, and added to the TV cameras, there should be lots of cameras getting good pictures of them. ;)

I think I first heard about the plans for the protest about a couple of days after the ESL plans were announced, I read about it on Twitter at the time and they clearly chose the Liverpool game as it was a much bigger game between the two biggest teams in the country (also between two ESL clubs) so that's why it was chosen over say the Roma game on Thursday.

The plans were clearly to disrupt the game in some way and they succeeded, they certainly got their message across and it was mostly peaceful but sadly a minority took things too far, there was one arrest and someone was slashed on the face with a bottle, I don't condone that at all! I really hope that the individuals who caused damage or violence get caught and prosecuted.

There has to be some questions asked about security at the ground too and how the fans were able to get into the stadium and on to the pitch, United said today that reports that someone working inside the ground just let them in were false.

As for punishment, I'd be very surprised if its a points deduction it'll surely be more likely a fine and a warning/reprimand/slap on the wrist. I still have no idea as to when the game will be replayed (if it is to get replayed!) Premier League did move some weekend fixtures to mid week last week so there might be a weekend free. If you don't know why games were moved then I can explain.

there was one arrest and someone was slashed on the face with a bottle
I saw a Policeman with his cheek slashed. Hopefully the scumbag who did that was the 'one' arrested at least.

Questions do need to be asked on how the protesters got into the ground seemingly so easily, especially when as you say there were rumours that something like this could happen.

I saw a Policeman with his cheek slashed. Hopefully the scumbag who did that was the 'one' arrested at least.

Questions do need to be asked on how the protesters got into the ground seemingly so easily, especially when as you say there were rumours that something like this could happen.
I think the person arrested was someone outside the Lowery hotel who the police think was trying to (or maybe had) broken into a car.

AFAIK it's unclear at the moment how the policemans cheek was slashed, stories are varying from him hit by a thrown bottle and being attacked by a thug with a bottle who slashed him in the face. Neither are acceptable of course, but given the number of cameras present I imagine either way it's only a matter of time before they are identified and charged. An inch higher and that policeman would have lost his eye, some would call that lucky, but he's still going to be scarred on his face for life.

Last edited:
Update from the United protest. 12 police officers injured, one person charged for throwing fireworks outside the Lowry.

Away from moneyball, nomoneyball's Championship bottom four looks like this tonight:
21 - Derby County - P45, 43pt, GD-22
22 - Rotherham United - P45, 41pt, GD-16
23 - Sheffield Wednesday - P45, 40pt, GD-21
24 - Wycombe Wanderers - P45, 40pt, GD-33

Rotherham could only draw against Luton tonight. That means that each of the four teams needs this to survive:

Wycombe - Derby (H) lose to Wednesday (A), Rotherham (A) do no better than draw with Cardiff (H), Wycombe (A) beat Middlesbrough (H) by 12 more goals than Wednesday beat Derby
Sheffield Wednesday - Beat Derby , Rotherham do no better than draw, Wycombe do not win by 12 goals more than Wednesday beat Derby.
Rotherham - Beat Cardiff, Derby do no better than draw with Wednesday
Derby - Beat Wednesday, or draw if Rotherham also do no better than draw.

Most exciting bit of the entire league, as usual.

Also, Championship differential this year is 1.222, compared to 1.559 in the Premier League.

Last edited:
United v Liverpool to be played on May 13th, means that United play three games in five days. :crazy:

They had to move the Leicester game forward by a day to for it, at least those three games are at home I suppose so they don't have to travel.

United v Liverpool to be played on May 13th, means that United play three games in five days. :crazy:

They had to move the Leicester game forward by a day to for it, at least those three games are at home I suppose so they don't have to travel.
If the Utd fans allow the games to be played of course. ;) :lol:

A New Hope
Poch2.png

The Empire Strikes Back
Mourinho-Shaambles6.png

Return Of The Jedi
oie_vsBkhDDrU1B9.png

Games this weekend.

Friday.
Leicester v Newcastle (8pm Sky)

Saturday.
Leeds v Tottenham (12.30 BT)
Sheffield United v Crystal Palace (3pm Sky)
Man City v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Liverpool v Southampton (8.15 Sky)

Sunday.
Wolves v Brighton (12pm BBC)
Aston Villa v Man United (2.05 Sky)
West Ham v Everton (4.30 Sky)
Arsenal v West Brom (7pm BT)

Monday.
Fulham v Burnley (8pm Sky)

Quite a busy week in the League next week as well (especially for United!) I'll post those game up at around the same time as the Fulham game on Monday night.

Also a hearty congratulations to Man City, Chelsea and Man United for making it to European finals this week, as for Arsenal well...err...yeah! :lol:

Leicester 2-4 Newcastle.

So this just happened! Newcastle were actually 4-0 up (Really!) with goals from Willock, Dummett and two from Wilson, Leicester got a couple of consolations from Albrighton and Iheanacho, Leicester had Jonny Evans injured in the warm up, the top four place is not a given for them as they are now five points clear but they have now played a game more, Newcastle now up to 13th and 12 points clear of the drop!

21 - Derby County - P45, 43pt, GD-22
22 - Rotherham United - P45, 41pt, GD-16
23 - Sheffield Wednesday - P45, 40pt, GD-21
24 - Wycombe Wanderers - P45, 40pt, GD-33

Rotherham could only draw against Luton tonight. That means that each of the four teams needs this to survive:

Wycombe - Derby (H) lose to Wednesday (A), Rotherham (A) do no better than draw with Cardiff (H), Wycombe (A) beat Middlesbrough (H) by 12 more goals than Wednesday beat Derby
Sheffield Wednesday - Beat Derby , Rotherham do no better than draw, Wycombe do not win by 12 goals more than Wednesday beat Derby.
Rotherham - Beat Cardiff, Derby do no better than draw with Wednesday
Derby - Beat Wednesday, or draw if Rotherham also do no better than draw.

Most exciting bit of the entire league, as usual.

Also, Championship differential this year is 1.222, compared to 1.559 in the Premier League.
Well, that's all going to be settled starting... now!

Cardiff City - Rotherham United
Derby County - Sheffield Wednesday
Middlesbrough - Wycombe Wanderers

If it's Wednesday (or Wycombe, improbably) that survive, I think that's the lowest ever points total for survival in the Championship at 43 (although Wednesday technically have 49, before the deduction, which is relatively normal) - tied with Bolton in 2017-2018. Derby could survive on 44, as could Rotherham. All four teams can still either survive or finish bottom, although it's a stretch for Derby to finish bottom or Wycombe to survive.

Last edited:
My word, this is insane:

21 - Rotherham United - P45.5, 44pt, GD-15
22 - Sheffield Wednesday - P45.5, 43pt, GD-20
23 - Derby County - P45.5, 43pt, GD-23
24 - Wycombe Wanderers - P45.5, 43pt, GD-31

Last edited:
Full times starting to happen, but Derby-Wednesday are 10 minutes behind due to a first-half stoppage...

Cardiff City 1-1 Rotherham United - Rotherham relegated on 42 points.

Edit: Middlesbrough 0-3 Wycombe Wanderers - Wycombe relegated on 43 points.

Derby staying up unless Wednesday score...

Edit: Derby 3-3 Wednesday, and we're down. Edit: And bottom :lol: Thanks EFL.

Last edited:
Watched all unfold on Soccer Saturday, man that was frantic!

Wednesday, Rotherham and Wycombe all down.

Well, we were cock all season long, but it's the six-point deduction that's relegated us - courtesy of the EFL deciding we couldn't do something after telling us we could. That's the second successive season the EFL has relegated a team by docking points from them after not doing its job properly, after they relegated Wigan by allowing the club to be sold to someone who couldn't pass the "fit and proper person" test, by virtue of not being a real human being.

Leeds 3-1 Spurs
Sheff Utd 0-2 Palace
City 1-2 Chelsea

City could have won the title today with a win and were 1-0 up thanks to Sterling's goal just before half time and they could/should have made it 2 when they had a penalty but Aguero hit a terrible Panenka which Mendy just stood up and caught, Ziyech equalised in the second before Alonso's 92nd minute winner sealed it, Chelsea were much better in the second half, City still need three points for the title or United to lose to Villa tomorrow.

Easy win for Leeds but Spurs top four hopes take a dent, Dallas, Bamford and Rodrigo for Leeds and Son got Spurs goal, Benteke and Eze got Palace's goals.

Liverpool v Southampton on next.

The CL Final will be the one to win. Cit€h could afford to use this one, and a few more. ;)

Well deserved win by Chel$ki though. Their attacking midfielders are starting to gel well.

City will win the title, they're just delaiyng it. United would need City to lose 2 and draw 1 of thier remaining 3 games while United win all of theirs. I think that's going to be undone this week, I can't see United taking 9 points from the next 3 games in 5 days and I don't think City will only get 1 point from thier last 3 games either. They're just being cruel givng us false hope :lol:.

Chelsea have a great squad, they just needed time for all of the new faces (as there were a lot) to gel and settle into the club. Some players hit the ground running, a lot take their time to settle in.

Last edited:
So Chelsea won the practice CL final then :lol:
The fact that both clubs have made it to the Champions League final is quite heartening... it just goes to show what team work, belief, talent and billions of pounds can accomplish.

Last edited:
Back