2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Feb 17, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Pigems, 05XR8, Landy1264 and 2 others like this.
  2. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt

It would make sense to fuel save at the slower sections; that will help tire wear as well. The straights are car dependent. I'm leaning towards pushing in my GT-R because my tires are going to die and so I don't feel like giving up any more time where that won't matter.

Pigems, ThePotatoKing and 05XR8 like this.
  3. 05XR8

05XR8

I'm getting tired of conserving any way. I'm 48 and not a fast player. May as well have fun and "race" my car. If it means an early or extra pit stop or staying stationery for a longer time, so be it.
    Main goal is always a top 10. I've lost some podium finishes, but also won some. I'll push every race this season.

Lewmatic, NosOsH, 8l23ub and 7 others like this.
  4. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I'll second that.

8l23ub, Pigems and 05XR8 like this.
  5. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I've made the decision to skip the preseason. See everyone in March. Will likely fly the flag for Hyundai again and see where it gets me. :) For now, going to enjoy a little break.

Pigems, Gtsport28, JEverettL and 2 others like this.
  6. Winnie847

Winnie847

I don't remember exactly how much, but it's a lot of time. Something like 12-14 seconds. Too long for a 2-stopper in my opinion. You're better off fuel-mapping through the slower corners on the track which will save fuel and tires. I've run several practice races and not a single person who pitted twice has come close to me in race.

you can change tires from either location at any time, gear or wrench icon....it's just that you have to change the fronts first. If you try to change the rear tires first they will be greyed out...which was a "bug" fix to prevent people from having different compounds on the front vs the rear, I'm sure you remember that update.

sorry for these late replies, just getting caught up on this thread as this week's races are approaching.

NosOsH, Pigems, Lilium and 3 others like this.
  7. Odiesback

Odiesback

Welcome to the BMW crew! :tup:

Yes, the M4 could be a gas guzzler if left on FM1 for too long.

Done few sim races and 2 stops is almost an inevitable scenario. I am leaning towards a 3S-5M-3s... now, the tire change is no so bad but refueling can take forever. So far I tried flat out FM1 but I don’t think that will work. Planning on FM2 throughout with same tire strategy to see what happens.

Pigems likes this.
  8. schnick

schnick

Yeah but unfortunately in practice lobbies (@Famine these are public lobbies with the same settings as the FIA round) you can't change tyres between Q and the race because it jumps straight into the race instead of an FIA lobby where there is about a minute to chat and complain about people fuel burning on the racing line and to change tyres.

Not sure about the tyre bug in public lobbies where starting Q on a harder compound and switching to a softer compound results in a "softer" compound in the race

9. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

You can if you exit qualy and go to the race entry screen by using the gear icon, and don't have to cancel your entry. That's what I got from famine's response. Of course if you go into 'overtime' in qualifying you don't get the option to exit and go into that screen

Been practicing nicely and doing one stops in the Jag but including just under 50% fuel it's approaching 20s. If fuel is going in at 7% per second then it's around 7s refuelling (plus a little attaching the nozzle I think) So as @Winnie847 says, at least 12s for your tyres.

Way too long to really consider an extra stop, especially as if you push hard to make up the time you'll destroy the tyres in no time at all. Better to just try to eke out an extra lap or two and get the one stop done

Pigems, Winnie847 and Granadier like this.
  10. Barters81

Barters81

This is my story in the Mustang.

If I save fuel/tires (no slip) I can consistently do the first stint around the 2:30 a lap on mediums (brake bias all the way to the back to save the fronts) 7 laps. I can then take softs and save fuel and tires again for the remain laps. And do 2:28s till the finish roughly.

If I push hard with softs with a full fuel load at the start I’ll get maybe 3 laps at 2:27-28 before the tires are dead.

So I’m losing roughly two seconds a lap on the mediums when saving compared to pushing on the softs. For reference in the TT I do a low 2:25.

7 laps on the mediums means I’ve lost 14 seconds, let’s say 16 seconds to round up.

If I push I need to do an extra stop and load more fuel in. Which would be more than 16 seconds. Hence I’m going for one stop and hoping for some slipstream. Which isn’t too much to ask being in the Mustang. It’s far from the quickest.

Pigems and Lilium like this.
  11. 05XR8

05XR8

*yawn*
    Got bored 3 laps in. Started 8/17.
    I pit from 5th or 6th, so I could do some racing, instead of being hitched on the TC Train. Finished 13/17.

Pigems likes this.
  12. schnick

schnick

Ah yes of course, I forgot about that but as you mentioned not possible if set a time in 'overtime' which is when most people set their qualy lap, but if you really need to test a strategy you'll have to compromise

Ashthebash and Pigems like this.
  13. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I don't normally rant about the penalty system, but man the last 2 races rankled so much I just have to vent here. I've done 400+ races, rarely get penalties but when I do I think it's been quite deserved (or even if not, I can sorta see why the game thinks I deserve it and move on). Twice now I've been divebombed on the inside, the person passed and I had to overbrake to avoid going off track and I am the one who got a penalty for colliding. Does the game think I'm trying to block them or what? It's like adding insult to injury.

Scenario 1(last season Gr.3 at Laguna)
    - Going up to the corkscrew, the car ahead made a mistake in the fast left hander so I was gaining and pulled up alongside into the braking zone (he was on the right, I'm on the left)
    - We both braked at around the same time, both cars are level at this point and I would've came out ahead due to being on the inside for the first left
    - Another car from about 2-3 car lengths back (with fresher tyres than both of us) just completely dived on the inside of me (remember I still have the other car I was overtaking on my right)
    - He gave me a tap and passed ahead. I braked extra because of the tap to avoid spearing off track and/or hitting the car on my right
    - Went thru the corkscrew, no tyres on the dirt, no contact with the car on my right and got slapped with 3 second penalty for "colliding with another car"

Scenario 2 (current race Roadster T at RBR)
    - Final lap going into T3 (the downhill tight hairpin), I was gaining on the car ahead (he had to save fuel whereas I had saved too much in the early part of the race and was now much faster on the straight)
    - He went defensive on the inside (pretty much hugged the inside road completely, making his corner radius too tight potentially and I could just drive round the outside of him)
    - I went to his left side to pin him and avoid him going wide and opening up the corner (no contact at this point)
    - I braked a bit earlier than usual (because I'm on a tighter line), he also braked at the same point as me (which is too late because of how tight his radius is relative to mine)
    - I turned in and gave one car space on the apex. Next thing I know, I was sliding straight towards the dirt (yup, my right door was being used as his brake)
    - Now admittedly, my mistake is I left the MFD showing Fuel Map and forgot to switch to Radar in this situation. Otherwise I would just keep my car straight a bit longer and cutback.
    - Had to go back full on brakes again and managed to keep it on track. Just. He slid off ahead of me a bit more and got on the outside kerb (tells you how much overspeed he had).
    - I cutback and passed him while he recovered, and voila 1 second penalty for (you guessed it) "colliding with another car". He wasn't that far back so just passed me again on the penalty zone. Didn't wait, no apologies after the race and that was that.

Sorry for the rant but if anything, hopefully people can learn from this and avoid getting a penalty in similar situations :tup:

Now I'm off to Kyalami in ACC to reset my mind for tomorrow's race :)

P.S. @05XR8 we could've had a nice little battle there if you hadn't pitted. Was fun while it lasted mate.

14. 05XR8

05XR8

Yeah, the penalty thing was absurd. The car ahead of me, got 1 second for passing the car that ghost-slid across the track in FRONT of him! I think the player was Cody or something like that. Ridiculous.

About "racing", yeah, I had Six7 behind me and you ahead, but it wasn't happening for me. Maybe tomorrow's Manu. I did notice times getting faster as tyre pressures normalised and came up to temp. ;

LeGeNd-1 and Pigems like this.
  15. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

Hard to choose a Manu after a 3 month break. Have been with Ferrari, Citroën, BMW, Ford, but didn't drive much for the last two. Considering Mazda, Porsche, VW. Not a fan of the Supra so Toyota probably out. Are Nissan still good? Always found hairpins a mare in them but they powered down straights considering it's a brick and I won my last race in one at Monza before winter hibernation. I'm using a controller. I'm never going to a world tour so what matters more is consistency than all out meta.

Lilium, RacingGrandpa and Pigems like this.
  16. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

Finally got my livery done for Gr 4. Hopefully not everyone will be racing Nations tonight so I can get a practice race in for Spa.

Pigems likes this.
  17. Famine

Famine Administrator

I got a two-second penalty on the last corner because a throbber who'd just served another penalty lunged up the inside of me, smacked into my door, and then punted the guy in front off.

At which point the guy who got punted off starts calling me a "********* driver"... after driving in close quarters with him all race and literally not touching him even once. Not that I should have been there, as I also got punted off on lap two.

Edit: I sent him pictures. He apologised :tup:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  18. stpatty

stpatty

Started 4th, finished 5th. Timed my fuel saving perfectly to have 1.3 laps left at the start of lap 11, so held off the Frenchman behind me. Had some good, close racing pretty much the whole way through. Probably could have challenged for a podium if I had any consistency, and wasn't terrified of the kerbs and track limits. All in, not bad considering I started practicing at half three.

19. Famine

Famine Administrator

I'm getting swamped at the start by people who - as well as being unable to slow the car down on CS tyres - have no idea that they need to save fuel. I end up in front of them because they all pit on lap 8, but by that point I'm 12s down on first from all the hitting.

Still, it's a good combo and I've gained 1,300DR from it in two races :lol: Might risk a third :D

20. DK

DK Premium

Went from a potential 6th to dead last thanks to GTS's BS collision physics. Thanks, I needed reminding that I haven't touched AC in a while.

21. TAU_GTP

TAU_GTP

Being a hilarious idiot I just dropped from fighting for a win to 15th, because my brain had only calculated fuel for 10 laps :dunce:
    I usually never race a FIA event more than once, because I think that's a pretty dumb thing for a "sim", but I'll might just break that principle for once...

Zorz, Ashthebash, GTWolverine and 4 others like this.
  22. LVS_1986

LVS_1986

I wasnt so lucky, at 5th lap spanish ended my race:( congratulations:)

Pigems likes this.
  23. Lilium

Lilium

Is fuel saving needed for nations?

Pigems likes this.
  24. LVS_1986

LVS_1986

A little

Pigems likes this.
  25. 8l23ub

8l23ub

t

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing after;

Pigems likes this.
  26. Lilium

Lilium

@LVS_1986 thanks.
    Started practising at 18h. At 1.t6.326 atm

Pigems and LVS_1986 like this.
  27. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

What? You were revving the engine without holding the brakes, but not only did you not jump the start, you didn't even...start?? How did that happen?

Pigems likes this.
  28. 8l23ub

8l23ub

I was holding the handbrake, lights went out and I released the accelerator while keeping the handbrake on :O
    Its ok to laugh and point :lol:

The 2140 slot is going to get it tonight :)

Pigems, quentin1974, watto79 and 2 others like this.
  29. stpatty

stpatty

Your DR is ~10k higher than mine and only one person pitted in my race (on lap 8 I think, with 7 litres left)

Maybe you're just paired up with idiots

Yeah I saw he managed to go down to A in SR, must have been some hit he gave you. Better luck next time.

Pigems and RacingGrandpa like this.
  30. Zorz

Zorz

Nations @ Red Bull Ring
    Not the best round, but hardly a disaster either. Can't say I was keen on this coming into it after practicing in public lobbies. Also a little bored with Mazda-based one-makes. They seem overly common lately considering how many other cars they could use. Maybe this would been more exciting with the originally intended settings; the Roadster just feels like a heavy lump with BOP on.

I knew I was capable of a decent laptime here, but I am far from consistent. Qualifying was frustrating. I left a gap to the driver in front on my outlap, which had all but disappeared by the top of the hill after he went wide and rejoined right in front of me.

He continued going wide and rejoining straight away onto the racing line throughout the lap which really slowed me down, until I finally saw an opportunity to get past on the last turn. Unfortunately that compromised the start of my second flying lap and I ended up starting P12. The other guy started almost at the back.

The start of the race was rough. I managed to avoid hitting the car in front of me into turn 1 only for the car behind me to punt me into it and then force his way up the inside. At the straight at the top of the hill, I almost got pushed off when we were 3-wide (me on the right) and the car on the left decides he wants the middle of the track. Almost spun the guy in the middle out having to turn left to stay on the track. It was the guy who punted me on turn 1 though, so not feeling too guilty about it.

I ended up managing to work my way up to P7 in the end. My highlight of the race was turn 1 on lap 8, where I managed a clean double overtake as they compromised each other from fighting.

92 points is still a good result by my standards though, so I'll chalk it up as a decent banker round to start the season and run!

VulcanSpirit, Pigems and watto79 like this.