2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Signed with Volkswagen without really thinking about it. Did a test race and needed three stops with the Scirocco (7S/7S/7S/2M), only to come here and read about people talking about doing no pit stop at all. Whelp, I guess I'm screwed :lol:

Have you considered running straight M tires? To cut down on your pit stops (and time involved) you might fair better running M vice any S tires. I am running a 1 stop on straight M tires (because my M tires get squirrelly around L16).

New manufacturer for this season, after almost a year of Toyota:
5981436797956162580_0.jpg

I have signed up for the Manufacturers' Series for the first time this week. I decided to sign with Peugeot, mostly because I spent a week racing in it at Sardegna and got into a bit of a groove with it. I have to admit that I was totally clueless with regards to strategy and am probably guilty of just pushing every lap. I have done lots of different trial runs of differing combinations to see what works best for me - I guess that this will change for each person based on how consistent they are between compounds and how well they can look after the tyres - and have found that there are probably 3 options open to me, depending on what goes on in the race. I have no idea where I am likely to be on the grid and, having never tried out this type of racing, I also have no idea what to expect in terms of behaviour from opponents (I am hoping that the divebombers stick to the daily races).

I have found that the one stop is the best option for me but, coincidentally, this was also my smoothest and most consistent run so the difference in time between this strategy and the 2 other strategies I identified (both 2 stop) could be smaller than I think. It's good to have options before the race though as I am guessing that having that adaptability could give a better result if you're able to escape getting caught up in traffic.

I drove Chevy last season, and I had a lot of experience with its fuel consumption.

My recommendation is to pit for fuel on laps 5, 10, 15, and 20. You probably only need to take on new tyres once because you might not make the full distance on one set. So I'd do that on the lap 15 pit stop.

:P

Just remember, it's only exhibition. Fun is the name of the game. No doubt this will be a measure of how much each of us have improved and where we can improve. Keep in mind, despite the knuckleheads out there, others will see your own race craft. Leave a good mark each race. :cheers:👍
Appreciate the positive vibes in this post, good to see!

Looking forward to tomorrow’s race, feels like a long time since the last season ended.
Quietly confident about the SLS AMG’s chances here, will be down to me avoiding track penalties though.

My apologies if this is something you already knew to do, but are you on BB+5? I can't say that it will get you to the 1 stop being the way to go (haven't tested as I moved from VW to Lambo this season), but if you're not doing that already you absolutely should, as it will help a lot with wear and get you much closer to the rotation under light braking of FRs.

I've never played around with Brake Balance since I didn't really know what it did but after changing the setting as you said the tyrewear feels slightly better now. I appreciate the help 👍

Have you considered running straight M tires? To cut down on your pit stops (and time involved) you might fair better running M vice any S tires. I am running a 1 stop on straight M tires (because my M tires get squirrelly around L16).

Yes, I thought about doing that but now that I've got a little more practice I learned to make the Softs work for ten laps. Thanks for the advice! 👍

I did another three test races tonight and one stop is definitely the way to go. Avoiding penalties will be of utmost importance here. Let's see how we do tomorrow :cheers:

Last edited:
Should have picked something utterly stupid and useless for Manu this season. Checked and my first slot on weekday races is 10pm.:eek:

Like, . . . What? Really? Weekend is 9pm start. No sense working hard on this one as I am simply going to be too tired to bother with some of those rounds. Let's see if I am awake for it tonight. Up at 4:45 for work is going to make that 10pm start time a bit sketchy.:nervous:

While discussing this elsewhere it brought up how disadvantaged people at the other far end of the Oceania region were when we had earlier starts that would have had their first lobby at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Oh well. First time learning the 'off prime' schedule.

Last edited:
Aston Martin Vantages for me this season. Tested 1 stop (10s/13m) vs no stop at RBR and they’re within a second of each other in overall time so I’ll decide strat on the fly depending on track position and opposition strategy. Fastest laps in race are coming in at high 52s but not a big difference between compounds.

I drove Chevy last season, and I had a lot of experience with its fuel consumption.

My recommendation is to pit for fuel on laps 5, 10, 15, and 20. You probably only need to take on new tyres once because you might not make the full distance on one set. So I'd do that on the lap 15 pit stop.

:P
Thanks for your advice:lol: But are we talking about same race?;) I decided to go with Chevy after week on Nurb24, Corvette gr3 is very nice to drive(and easy). Gr4 on RBR short got just enough fuel for 23-24 laps so its not an issue... I guess I read race reports from our Oceania friends about strategy:gtpflag:

Thanks for your advice:lol: But are we talking about same race?;) I decided to go with Chevy after week on Nurb24, Corvette gr3 is very nice to drive(and easy). Gr4 on RBR short got just enough fuel for 23-24 laps so its not an issue... I guess I read race reports from our Oceania friends about strategy:gtpflag:
The Vantage will do the whole race without fuel saving, I can’t imagine the Corvette uses 5x the fuel.

My fingers are fresh. Made sure I don't have to get up for any reason. Wife and daughter know to leave me alone right now. Cats are chillin'. Started PS4. Cleared network. Entered at 9 minutes35 seconds. We'll see what happens.

Edit:
EnqFio5UYAExpQd

I'll probably be last on speed.

Edit: No speed. I was only .4 quicker on the RS.
EnqIBH_VEAAl4Is

Last edited:
My fingers are fresh. Made sure I don't have to get up for any reason. Wife and daughter know to leave me alone right now. Cats are chillin'. Started PS4. Cleared network. Entered at 9 minutes35 seconds. We'll see what happens.

Edit:
EnqFio5UYAExpQd

I'll probably be last on speed.
I would trade lobbies with you. Door 18 with some higher rollers than I am.used to filling up the front. Qualified p19, DFL since someone quit. And a good 0.3 behind p18. Could be a very long short race.:dunce:

Time to feel the speed.

Edit: race wasn't awful, but I just struggled to consistently get the turn 2-3 transition. Got plenty of runs on FF cars as their tires were faster, but a solid 4 times they slid and I would catch their back, giving them their speed boost and killing my momentum. Wasn't an awful drive, but was solidly outclassed and tired. Made several stupid mistakes in the latter half just dazed that cost me as at the end I had caught up to a big pack. Oh well. It was ok so that will be a fine start for me.

Good luck all.👍

Last edited:
CD0B3B58-03BF-47C3-83D7-7EB125E9E9C7.jpeg

Lancer isn’t the quickest car and that proved the case qualifying 15th. Went for a 1 stop starting on Mediums. Most others one stopped and thankfully started Softs so after I pitted lap 11, I was able to pick off a few cars that had changed to mediums. Quite a boring race really. Picked up about 2 seconds worth of track limit penalties throughout the race too.

Yeah, FFs will die with tyre wear up like this.

EnqNlq2UYAE-g46

Why couldn't dude just wait for the front straight? It's only Lap 3. I left my mark on his passenger side door... and front fender...

Pass of the night for me.

I got the GT-R on the last lap. It got too much understeer at the left-hand ess. I pitted LAp 17 after I saw how fast the WRX was catching me. I was behind the Cayman that finished 8th. We were running 7th & 8th before I pit. The 7th placed F-Type, was a couple seconds behind the WRX at the same point. I slid too much at the penultimate corner. So, just went into the pits for RS.

Those cars I came in behind at the end, were courteous, but that F-Type in the first video, was no need for that. Players recognised my cornering speed in the 86 and were signaling for me to pass.

Anyway, good to see the Citroen up there. Figured it would have a bit more speed than me and it's about the same tyre performance. Really really being realistic with the Nurburgring. I've got no chance for a top 10 or even top 15. Unless PD adjust BOP.
As @Redneckchef sayd, "Good luck all.👍"

View attachment 973939

Lancer isn’t the quickest car and that proved the case qualifying 15th. Went for a 1 stop starting on Mediums. Most others one stopped and thankfully started Softs so after I pitted lap 11, I was able to pick off a few cars that had changed to mediums. Quite a boring race really. Picked up about 2 seconds worth of track limit penalties throughout the race too.

Finished just in front of me. Q11/P12. We ran the same strat but I think you might have pitted one lap later than me.

The Aston needs early braking for T1 and I just couldn’t match the other cars for mid corner speed.

I also could not hook up the T2/3 transition and as tires degrade the track limits become a real issue.

Not much genuine racing to be had on that track.

Also, the 5 minute qualifying on such a short and congested track is a challenge. It only takes one track limit penalty and an idiot who won’t get off the racing line to put you under real pressure.

Yeah, FFs will die with tyre wear up like this.

EnqNlq2UYAE-g46

Why couldn't dude just wait for the front straight? It's only Lap 3. I left my mark on his passenger side door... and front fender...

Pass of the night for me.

I got the GT-R on the last lap. It got too much understeer at the left-hand ess. I pitted LAp 17 after I saw how fast the WRX was catching me. I was behind the Cayman that finished 8th. We were running 7th & 8th before I pit. The 7th placed F-Type, was a couple seconds behind the WRX at the same point. I slid too much at the penultimate corner. So, just went into the pits for RS.

Those cars I came in behind at the end, were courteous, but that F-Type in the first video, was no need for that. Players recognised my cornering speed in the 86 and were signaling for me to pass.

Anyway, good to see the Citroen up there. Figured it would have a bit more speed than me and it's about the same tyre performance. Really really being realistic with the Nurburgring. I've got no chance for a top 10 or even top 15. Unless PD adjust BOP.
As @Redneckchef sayd, "Good luck all.👍"

I’d love to think it’s the difference between the 86 and the Vantage that allows moves like those.

It’s definitely not, but I’d love to think it is. Seriously good driving man.

I’d love to think it’s the difference between the 86 and the Vantage that allows moves like those.

It’s definitely not, but I’d love to think it is. Seriously good driving man.
Thank you.
For sure. The other driver seized the opportunity. The reason I dropped back so much, the Cayman was conserving on RM. As I was behind it not trying to pass, we fell back to the faster cars. The other cars were obviously on RS.

I was aware the Jag was there and chose the out in out line, due the pair fighting ahead of me. Gave the Jag a bit of space and the rest happened.

At the end of the race versus the Genesis twins, I got the pass on one at the penultimate turn. I made sure to stay inside through entry and exit, to be courteous and not run the other player wide, just incase they got a better exit because it had the optimal line(I wobbled on the curb).

No doubt though. As in all my Free Practices, I could see top end suffers with the 86. No illusions of trying to block(which I don't do anyway) on straights or trying to think I can get a run from corner exit speed.

It'll be the same at Interlagos. I'll fall back on the front straight and on the run past the Penalty Zone. Make my time up at the rest of the track to the final turn. Fall back again before pit entry. Rinse & repeat. ;)

Finished just in front of me. Q11/P12. We ran the same strat but I think you might have pitted one lap later than me.

The Aston needs early braking for T1 and I just couldn’t match the other cars for mid corner speed.

I also could not hook up the T2/3 transition and as tires degrade the track limits become a real issue.

Not much genuine racing to be had on that track.

Also, the 5 minute qualifying on such a short and congested track is a challenge. It only takes one track limit penalty and an idiot who won’t get off the racing line to put you under real pressure.
Ah yes recognise the name! Yourself and another Aston to battle with for last part of the race. T2/3 was the only place my car was stronger. Glad that race is out the way now!

Back