2020 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 525 comments
I hate being the guy with the unpopular opinion, and maybe it's just my callous personality, but I think cancelling many world sporting events will do little if anything to help. You can't prevent the tide from coming in, you can only delay it at best. And I know there will be those who say "every little bit helps" but at what cost? I'm not sure yet. Are a few hundred thousand deaths worth the multiple billions if not over 1 trillion dollars lost? I'm no economist but I do find these questions intriguing.

I hate being the guy with the unpopular opinion, and maybe it's just my callous personality, but I think cancelling many world sporting events will do little if anything to help. You can't prevent the tide from coming in, you can only delay it at best. And I know there will be those who say "every little bit helps" but at what cost? I'm not sure yet. Are a few hundred thousand deaths worth the multiple billions if not over 1 trillion dollars lost? I'm no economist but I do find these questions intriguing.

The problem with that is once people critical to the product start coming down with it the sactioning body is left standing around with their hands in their pockets. Cancelling/postponing things at this stage at least let's them put together as much of a plan as they can.

The problem with that is once people critical to the product start coming down with it the sactioning body is left standing around with their hands in their pockets. Cancelling/postponing things at this stage at least let's them put together as much of a plan as they can.

That I can agree with. And I'd wager multiple people within F1 will indeed contract the virus within the next few months. McLaren is just the start.

I could be completely mistaken on this point, but wouldn't it be more beneficial if more people contracted the virus sooner than later? The more people who become immune to the current strain essentially stop themselves from transmitting it further, which is ultimately how flu strands slowly fade over time (that plus the development of vaccines of course). But the first few months of any new flu (Covid or otherwise) is always gonna be the worst.

This is the motorsport subforum so I won't say too much. If you want to discuss more, there's the COVID-19 thread.

You can't prevent the tide from coming in, you can only delay it at best.
wouldn't it be more beneficial if more people contracted the virus sooner than later?
The point is to delay it for as long as possible and have as little amount of people infected as possible. This is the idea of "flattening the curve". Sure, you can just let people be free and spread the virus around, but then what? They go to the hospital? There's only so many hospitals that can take only so many patients. Those who are not able to go to a safe environment will die. But when you control the rate of infection, yes the pandemic will last longer, however, you won't reach the maximum capacity of the health care system. Therefore, those who are infected will be able to get the care they need. Here's a graph explaining it.

11SCI-VIRUS-TRACKER1-superJumbo.jpg

Are a few hundred thousand deaths worth the multiple billions if not over 1 trillion dollars lost?
Yes. Absolutely.

So the 'rumour' goes the first GP race will be in June and 18 races for the remaining season?

If so: Which GP's between now and June be rescheduled or cancelled?

So the 'rumour' goes the first GP race will be in June and 18 races for the remaining season?

If so: Which GP's between now and June be rescheduled or cancelled?

That doesn't sound likely - from my (admittedly very limited) knowledge a six month delay is more realistic. I think the whole season will probably end up being scrubbed.

They could cram the races in if they switched the order to be more geographically appropriate, i.e. not putting Canada in the middle of the Europe leg, something like this maybe, which should probably be done anyway:

Australia - Singapore - Vietnam - Japan - China - Abu Dhabi - Bahrain - Azerbaijan - Russia - Hungary - Austria - Italy - Monaco - France - Spain - Belgium - Netherlands - UK - Canada - United States - Mexico - Brazil

They could cram the races in if they switched the order to be more geographically appropriate, i.e. not putting Canada in the middle of the Europe leg, something like this maybe, which should probably be done anyway:

Australia - Singapore - Vietnam - Japan - China - Abu Dhabi - Bahrain - Azerbaijan - Russia - Hungary - Austria - Italy - Monaco - France - Spain - Belgium - Netherlands - UK - Canada - United States - Mexico - Brazil
I know this is what everyone wants to see but let's face it, this season is not happening.

Also (as expected) Vietman and Bahrein officially postponed/cancelled for the moment. Nothing about Zandvoort yet but also read that they will start with the season end of May. So also Zandvoort will be postponed then (not confirmed yet)

Edit:
ES_Z_6AXQAIrebX

Last edited:
And also Zandvoort postponed. Probably Baku first race.
Good luck to the F1 planning department! A lot of new if...then...else situations per rescheduled race.

My guess would be that the season wont get underway for some time. Baku at the earliest, realistically I'm not expecting any races until July or August at the earliest.

I'm more surprised that the F1 teams haven't been looking into running an iRacing (not sure the simulator they use) season in lieu of all of the canceled races. I will be stunned if any race before July occurs. Even with that date, based on how the virus is spreading, the event in Brazil is under jeopardy even this far out. I honestly think at this point, they should nix the 2020 season and just move on to 2021.

What does all this mean for upgrades and car development? Does it still continue as normal?

I'm more surprised that the F1 teams haven't been looking into running an iRacing (not sure the simulator they use) season in lieu of all of the canceled races. I will be stunned if any race before July occurs. Even with that date, based on how the virus is spreading, the event in Brazil is under jeopardy even this far out. I honestly think at this point, they should nix the 2020 season and just move on to 2021.
Reading the summary of the Imperial College report on the virus in the US and UK, I think all racing is done for the year. Estimates are that a vaccine is 14 months away before being approved to ensure that the vaccine isn't released prematurely and does more harm than good (or doesn't do anything at all). After that, there's estimates that it'll be 4 months before it can be produced and distributed enough to ensure people can move safely around without risking the deaths of millions of people.

That's 18 months away and would even affect the 2021 season's start. Unless something drastically changes in between now and then, that's what we have to look forward to, and the last thing anyone needs is a global racing parade travelling from country to country as everyone is trying to recover.

What does all this mean for upgrades and car development? Does it still continue as normal?
If I remember right all teams decided to completely close their development/research factories also in line with the mandatory closure of Ferrari. So until further notice at least until April a kind of stand still. Not sure if this also goes for remote/software development and data analysis?

My guess is that everything just shifts a couple of months (or longer?).

Edit March 21: Just read that e.g. RedBull still works very hard to improve the RB16. So it seems that development continues at least until the mandatory summerbreak which has been pulled forward with a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
This could be the catalyst for permanent removal.
It would be devastating that a crown jewel of F1 is eliminated, but you might be right and 2019 may have been the last running.

Back