2020 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 525 comments
Rather than reverse grid races, could some F1 circuits be used in reverse for a second race?

Circuit gradings consider peripheral spectator safety as a high priority in addition to run-off areas, emergency track access and so on... what if the future includes TV-only tracks that can be developed to run in either direction as they're unfettered by so many boundary concerns? Cheaper to build (by far) and definitely investable for big Arabic moneys.

Runoff is all designed for cars to go around one way. No circuit on the calendar can host a race backwards without massive investment to rebuild armco walls and marshals access points, adding tarmac or gravel and extending runoff, plus completely changing kerbs because they are also designed to go one way only.

Circuits like Silverstone, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi have alternative layouts they could use instead. Reverse is a false dream TBH.

Only tracks I'm aware of that can be run either way are Knockhill, the old Thunderdome oval at Calder Park, and the Indianapolis Road Course, which runs clockwise for cars and anti-clockwise for motorbikes.

I don't know if the Indy Road Course is still Grade 1 or if the anti-clockwise version could ever be Grade 1 but from what I'm aware that's the only vaguely feasible option.

Indy Road Course

I would quite like to see this in reverse, now that you mention it. Threading the cars through the banking on lap one would be interesting, as would slipstreaming to the inside line for the banked corner and holding it as the track splinters off to the left, braking whilst turning.

I would quite like to see this in reverse, now that you mention it. Threading the cars through the banking on lap one would be interesting, as would slipstreaming to the inside line for the banked corner and holding it as the track splinters off to the left, braking whilst turning.
The modern Layouts avoid the banking.

Yeh, I figured it would not be possible to race reverse courses at existing F1 circuits without considerable modification and expense. Alternative layouts, however, would be a good option at some places.

the old Thunderdome oval at Calder Park
I worked there once upon a time... :ill:

Circuits like Silverstone, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi have alternative layouts they could use instead. Reverse is a false dream TBH.

I was talking about new TV-only tracks, far cheaper to make because they require far less off-track infrastructure, no reason they couldn't be built for bi-directional racing without those pesky post-Le Mans spectator stands to think about.

Alternative layouts, however, would be a good option at some places.

F1 has raced at multi-layout tracks and used more than one layout simultaneously, iirc.

Not surprised about Azerbaijan or Singapore, street circuits simply aren't suitable for the "bubble" F1 are trying to secure at each circuit... A shame to lose all 3 though, especially Suzuka as one of the best circuits in the world...

F1 have actually put up a fan poll asking which tracks you'd like to see appear in 2020 as an extra!
Imola, Algarve and Mugello are polled, along with an "other" section, with most comments being Hockenheim or Istanbul

That got me thinking.

If Hamilton won this year and when retired have either tied or broken Schumacher's record would there be an asterisk by his name?

Schumacher's first title was won over sixteen races, and his seventh over eighteen. Hamilton's first was also over sixteen races, I think that's enough.

8 races are needed to make it a legitimate championship, which is why the 8-race European Championship has been confirmed so early compared to everything else. The FIA seems to be waiving the "3 continents" rule required for World Championship status because this year in itself is such an exception, and travelling to three might be impossible. Asia seems to be the only other continent F1 could actually make it to this year, seeing as the Americas is now the Coronavirus hotspot. Brazil sounds like it's in a really tough spot especially, so I doubt Interlagos can happen, while Mexico isn't much better. Montreal and perhaps Indianapolis seem to be the only circuits which could host a race in North America this year as COTA can't afford to race without spectators. However, it'll probably get too cold by the time Montreal could fit in. TBH, if they do want a third continent other than Europe and Asia (And no, you can't say the Far East and the Middle East count as different continents), the best bet is probably Kyalami in Africa, seeing as Oceania doesn't seem to have any ready-prepared permanent FIA Grade 1 tracks. Eastern Creek in Sydney and the new "The Bend" are the only permanent Grade 2 tracks in Australia and New Zealand anyway. If they really need the third continent, waive it at Kyalami or Eastern Creek.

So in essence, as long as 8 races are completed, this season is legitimate. I don't see anyone saying that the 1955 season doesn't count as a championship for Fangio, despite him only competing in 6 races as loads were cancelled in the wake of the Le Mans disaster.

Hamilton haters will go to any length to discredit him though, so no matter what you say, there will still be idiots not claiming this season is legitimate if he takes the title.

No, I don't like Hamilton but whoever wins, wins.

Ascari won on an eight race calendar, one of which barely counted so really a seven round championship calendar, and did it to Formula Two, second division regs and there's no asterisk next to his name being the first two-time champion.

I've wanted a reduction in the number of races for aaaaages. There's so much filler.

They could run one round to Formula Ford 1600 regulations and if the FIA say "this is the Formula 1 World Championship for this year" then it's the Formula 1 World Championship for that year. The whole notion is completely arbitary. It's made up. Someone just said "yeah, this series of races over here, yeah, them, we're gonna call these a world championship" and everyone just agreed to go along with them.

Now, whether or not one round run to Formula Ford 1600 regulations would recieve respect from society at large as something worthy of the title of "Formula 1 World Championship" is a different issue, but as with many things, it only exists because someone said it did and everyone else agreed to go along with them.

Now, whether or not one round run to Formula Ford 1600 regulations would recieve respect from society at large as something worthy of the title of "Formula 1 World Championship" is a different issue, but as with many things, it only exists because someone said it did and everyone else agreed to go along with them.

That's right, but see @Jimlaad43's comments for context. Personally I separate the WDC and the WCC in my head - and in your hypothetical scenario I'd be less impressed with a FF1600 WCC team winner, the WDC is still the WDC.

Whatever we end up getting this season it's still the F1 teams and the F1 drivers, and they race with what they race. The winner is the winner and the champion is the champion.

It is going to be (already has been?) a strange season, but I don't see any genuine reason why it would be struck with an asterisk. As noted above, whatever the FIA declare to be the 2020 F1 Championship is the season. The number of races doesn't matter and is the smallest of reasons to try to diminish a title...

A far bigger shout would be if someone (for example, Bono) tested positive for coronavirus. I believe under the rules, this would mean Hamilton would have to isolate and be replaced for the race. I expect at some stage a number of drivers could all miss at least 1 race, but we may see some drivers miss multiple races... That could be pretty big if someone wins the title based on how racing more often than their rivals.

They could negate that by dismissing a few results (best 12 results out of 14 or so). Doubt that will happen though.

That could be pretty big if someone wins the title based on how racing more often than their rivals.

Or if they raced in fewer races; Schumacher won the 1994 title having competed in two races fewer than Damon Hill.

That's wouldn't be the reason that title has a hypothetical asterisk, mind.

They could negate that by dismissing a few results (best 12 results out of 14 or so). Doubt that will happen though.

Absolutely detest dropped scores with every fibre of my being.

Mugello confirmed.

FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DELLA TOSCANA FERRARI 1000 2020 Mugello

Last edited:
Please confirm more races F1, Sochi is about the only place worse than Abu Dhabi for a season finale

Well nice to see Mugello will be on the calendar this year and I guess means a bit of work for Codemasters to update F1 2020 for the track.

Someone hoped Hockenheim would get added to F1 2020 game over in that discussion thread so I hope a real race is run there this year so we can see it in the game.

Codemasters have said they won't be adding any new tracks to the game, so don't expect Mugello. They were contracted to make the original calendar, so they've done it.

Codemasters have said they won't be adding any new tracks to the game, so don't expect Mugello. They were contracted to make the original calendar, so they've done it.

What's been said can change!

Example they already updated the Williams livery and the Mercedes is getting the updated livery at some point, they may have made the original calendar like you say but if they were done with the game why update the car liveries?

This game is already NOT representing the official season we have since it has the tracks with cancelled races so it's already broken, let's see what the updates reveal or what codies say about the game from here on. Not gonna say anything more for now.

What's been said can change!

Example they already updated the Williams livery and the Mercedes is getting the updated livery at some point, they may have made the original calendar like you say but if they were done with the game why update the car liveries?

This game is already NOT representing the official season we have since it has the tracks with cancelled races so it's already broken, let's see what the updates reveal or what codies say about the game from here on. Not gonna say anything more for now.

Mugello will not be added. Really not worth getting your hopes up. The time taken to do a livery vs then time taken to build a circuit are vastly different.

Best case is we get 2020 season as its being run as an extension of the next game. And even then that's not even a realistic expectation.

Hockenheim comment was me, again nothings a given, its the most likely track to be added but still unlikely.

No no, Codies confirmed they weren't making any new tracks. It apparently takes them a year to make each circuit, so with multiple new tracks they don't have the...something...to get any new tracks made.

Add the Virus restrictions, which will stop them visiting Mugello to get the photos and data they want, plus that meaning they won't be able to work together as effectively if they're still having to work from home.

All I'm saying is, expect nothing and be happily surprised if they do make it, rather than being disappointed when it never appears.

I am well aware of the timescales they said for tracks and the virus travel restrictions, it was just some conversation.

I am not a person that expects anything for a video game but also a person that likes to be accurate so if it were me in the Codies F1 game I'd be strongly trying to find some way to make it work and update the game with the content.

Any how we can move this over to the game general discussion thread I guess.

Back