2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
The Xfinity race tonight at Kentucky is likely going to be a good one to watch - 3 or even 4 wide. This series is performing as never before, with loads of talent at the front. I'm liking it a lot.

107936787_10156974493945947_3131308579675320643_n.jpg

There were some fisticuffs between Burton and Gragson after tonight's race. It seems pretty easy for guys on the bottom to get loose, at least in the Busc...Xfinity cars. We'll see about the Cup boys Sunday.

Almirola’s been driving like his job is in jeopardy lately so maybe he’s not as secure with his Smithfield funding as everyone thinks

Great finish to a bad race (just like last year). Kentucky is absolutely the worst track on the schedule (with or without this package) but the finishes make sure everyone forgets about the actual racing.

Great job by Cold Custard always having his car in the exact right position at every moment of the last 2 laps. His season is the same story as the race itself, great result in a bad season for him.

The way they describe it in the linked article, that sounds like it's tailored specifically to be summer filler for network TV. Might be entertaining as a novelty I guess, but given how CBS has developed a habit of mangling everything they touch the last few years, I'd say keep your expectations tempered.

20431313-3459-4EE0-8A57-35DC1E22CFE8.png
76008E38-EBFD-4081-A5F1-D2E1829EC533.jpeg

These two all-star schemes don’t look terrible since they’ve obviously been designed around the number placement, but it seems like a large chunk of the teams are just racing their regular schemes with the number moved and sponsor slapped on the door. And it doesn’t look good.

Even on those not-that-bad schemes I still don't dig the number placement, hopefully they either leave it as it is or go with the number being right behind the tire where the contingency sponsors used to be.

I don't really mind the number being moved like that either, so long as some effort is made to accommodate the change in layout. To be honest, considering a lot of schemes normally have the spot just in front of the rear wheel as dead space or partially filled with small decals you can't see very clearly, this actually looks a bit cleaner and more efficient. And hey, the larger space for a primary sponsor might actually attract more companies to come in an advertise, which NASCAR sorely needs these days.

That race wasn’t good. The FOX coverage was even worse than usual, and I don’t know why the track didn’t develop two grooves, whether the segments were too short to lay rubber down or they needed other cars on track (practice or preliminary races). But whatever it was it was a perfect storm to produce the first bad Bristol race in a very long time.

Also this race showed how much we miss having slow cars on track for the fast cars to pass

Last edited:
Race was fine. Needed to be longer. Only got about 40ish minutes of actual racing. Underglow would have been cooler if it was in more places than just the back, and if the teams could choose the colors. Choose line should stay, but the picking of lines should be televised every time.

And the numbers belong in the middle of the doors.

The lane choice for everyone was a nice gimmick. The underglow would have been better had they gone by teams, not manufacturers (also, the 4 drivers who advanced from the Open and didn't have the light is a weak excuse). None of the cars looked good with the numbers near the rear tire. Finally (and I'll get a lot of flack for this), the fact that 30,000 people were in the stands and it didn't look like they were properly distanced is an extremely poor look during a pandemic. Especially jarring when you see all of them crowd the fence to congratulate Elliott.

Back