2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
I think they should do it like they do on the Saturday night short tracks. You get 5 or 6 "hotlaps", then a short intermission to make some adjustments, and then you race. These are supposed to be the best drivers, crews, crew chiefs, engineers in the business. Why do they need (3) one hour long practice sessions?

Hot lap it to make sure everything is working okay, and then run it.

Aric Almirola is probably the happiest man on the grid right now.

I think they should do it like they do on the Saturday night short tracks. You get 5 or 6 "hotlaps", then a short intermission to make some adjustments, and then you race. These are supposed to be the best drivers, crews, crew chiefs, engineers in the business. Why do they need (3) one hour long practice sessions?

To get data and figure out how the cars and drivers behave over time on a track literally nobody has ever raced before? Denny Hamlin and Clint Bowyer aren't too crazy about the prospect.

With the 750HP Road Course package, we'll probably see some pretty high speeds on the banked portion of the circuit. No telling how 30+ cars will behave themselves tightly packed going from the tri-oval into Turn 1, on the brakes from 180+, or even on approach to the chicane on the backstretch. Chances are probably pretty decent that rain will be a factor at this event as well, which is why Goodyear is bringing their wet tires. The possibility of having a practice session in the wet would grant the teams invaluable information on how the cars behave, especially if they have to contend with wet banking. This extra data and experience can help drivers come in much more confident and aggressive on Sunday.

I'm somewhat OK with NASCAR not holding practice at tracks that their drivers have visited before, because the drivers and teams can at least fall back on previous data and experience. But not holding practice & qualy at Daytona Roval is arguably extremely dangerous, and has the potential to create noticeably lower-quality racing, which is not something that can be fully remedied by a few hotlaps. It also looks kinda silly in general since NASCAR let the Xfinity teams practice for the Indy Roval, but won't let their drivers in any of their categories practice at the significantly faster Daytona.

It also looks kinda silly in general since NASCAR let the Xfinity teams practice for the Indy Roval, but won't let their drivers in any of their categories practice at the significantly faster Daytona.
A handful of drivers with experience at the 24 hours of Daytona, like Kyle Busch, could have a signifiant advantage.

A handful of drivers with experience at the 24 hours of Daytona, like Kyle Busch, could have a signifiant advantage.
Can't they use one of the numerous simulators to help with testing?

Can't they use one of the numerous simulators to help with testing?

For a brand-new track, I'd argue that a simulator is better than nothing (though I'm pretty skeptical with the Roval), but absolutely nothing is better than actual track time.

What on earth was Ricky thinking when he got that haircut? :odd::yuck:
Well, he's got a beard to keep his throat warm fro coronavirus, I get that. But maybe he cut those grooves at the temples for helmet cooling? Weird!

Does someone have a picture? I missed the first half or so because I was at work.

wtf.JPG

What is it with Kansas and wrecks with big hits like that? Glad to see Preece get out of the car.

Called it with them adding a chicane. And it’s supposed to “high downforce”. So 750hp high downforce. My expectations aren’t high (besides the obvious combo of no practice and likely rain making it exciting).

Hopefully we see some road course ringers

Last edited:
Bubba has been offered an ownership stake in RPM, should he chose to continue driving for the team.

Well, that's, uh....pretty nutty. To get such an offer really hows how serious RPM is about keeping him around. For me, it also confirms that Bubba has been getting some serious offers for seats next year. It seems like the dominant rumor is of an offer being made by CGR to drive the 42 next year. That's not too bad for a guy that has yet to even win an event. And I thought that Matty D moving to Wood Brothers was a crazy (but very well-deserved) move.

Bubba has been offered an ownership stake in RPM, should he chose to continue driving for the team.

Well, that's, uh....pretty nutty. To get such an offer really hows how serious RPM is about keeping him around. For me, it also confirms that Bubba has been getting some serious offers for seats next year. It seems like the dominant rumor is of an offer being made by CGR to drive the 42 next year. That's not too bad for a guy that has yet to even win an event. And I thought that Matty D moving to Wood Brothers was a crazy (but very well-deserved) move.
I think his stock has gone up quite a bit this year with some decent part due to his performances on track. He’s certainly made headlines off track and that means that when he does outperform the RPM car, more people notice. I think he’s a very talented driver and is there when the car is. Certianly deserves a better car than the 43

I think he’s a very talented driver and is there when the car is. Certianly deserves a better car than the 43

Oh, absolutely. From what I can tell, Bubba seems to really love his team, but if I'm him I'm jumping into that 42 or 48 car if there are legitimate offers on the table. The McDonalds money probably helps his negotiating power, too.

Oh, absolutely. From what I can tell, Bubba seems to really love his team, but if I'm him I'm jumping into that 42 or 48 car if there are legitimate offers on the table. The McDonalds money probably helps his negotiating power, too.
I think he’s be a great fit for the 42 since he can learn a lot from Kurt Busch. I heard that Hendrick wants a veteran in the 48 to help their already young team so he might not be in the frame for that. Though if I were either of those teams I’d be taking a hard look at Reddick as well

I think he’s be a great fit for the 42 since he can learn a lot from Kurt Busch. I heard that Hendrick wants a veteran in the 48 to help their already young team so he might not be in the frame for that. Though if I were either of those teams I’d be taking a hard look at Reddick as well
I think if he goes to Hendrick, he would move to the 88, not the 48 (unless Ally is just affiliated with HMS and not also the 48).
While the gesture from RPM is very kind, I don't think it will be a very good competitive decision.

Back