2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
The racing was boring. They can advertise that the winner gets a million dollars, but that was a hell of a lot bigger prize in 1992 than it is today. All of the cars that were in contention are already driven by multi-millionaires. What would it take for them to knock in the fenders to try to win, $5M?

They can't ever seem to find a gimmick that works, and just plain racing is boring when track position is king, tires don't matter, and no one can pass the leader.

The old invert the field trick was nice 25 years ago, but crew chiefs today would just game the system to try to start 1st after the last field inversion for superior track position. They would either all try to run last in the first segment, or if only the top 12 got inverted, they'd all be racing to be in 11th/12th at that moment.

My favorite idea was a five segment race with no more than 18-20 cars:

Segment 1: about 25-30 laps at a Charlotte-sized track, or about 45-60 laps at a Richmond/Martinsville/Bristol sized track. At the end of the segment, invert the full field and then open pit road. With the field inverted, the slowest cars move to the front, and will need fresh tires to stay there. The fastest cars will definitely take tires, since they are now in the back of the pack to start the next segment, and the gimmick will incentivize them to pass as many cars as possible. I guess they could gamble on 2 tires to move up in the field on pit road, but the rules package I'd use would make that a huge gamble.

Segment 2-4: repeat segment 1.

At the end of segment 4, place all cars in order of highest average finish in the first four segments. Any ties are broken by highest single segment finish, then second best segment finish, etc. The idea is to make every driver need to continually pass other cars to increase their starting position in the final segment, and to continually move the fastest cars to the back of the field after each segment.

Once the cars are in order, open pit road.

Segment 5: 15-20 laps at Charlotte, or 25-40 laps at the smaller tracks. Yellow flag laps don't count.

The tires need to be soft and have good, but not severe, fall off. Maybe every team gets one set of super soft tires with extra grip, but more fall off, that they can put on at any point after the race starts. Ideally, the top 4-5 cars should be very conflicted about their pit strategy after the end of segment 4. Also, the cars have full power (No spacer to limit power), half the normal downforce (so they have to really slow down in the corners), and you can actually stick your foot under the nose of the car because there is no splitter.

$5M to the race winner, and 12 playoff points.

It couldn't be worse, could it?

All-Star events generally stink, cannot comment on hockey, and so many are gimmicky as hell...

Why not go Full Ham? On track Team races, multi car relays, let the old guard race again if they want to, or if none of those appeal take the IROC/ROC idea of a set of as identical as possible cars and let the drivers be the major difference.

Or...take it off the calendar and move purse to the 600 and Darlington.

The All-Star/Clash ran their course. Non-points races have become meaningless. Drivers are much more willing to race hard for a playoff spot than money.

They should replace them with an exhibition race sometime during the year at a new track, track that would never work for a normal points race, or somewhere outside the US.

The All-Star/Clash ran their course. Non-points races have become meaningless. Drivers are much more willing to race hard for a playoff spot than money.

They should replace them with an exhibition race sometime during the year at a new track, track that would never work for a normal points race, or somewhere outside the US.
How about Eldora?

Cup cars at Eldora would be good. Let them install a Pull Bar so they could get a little forward bite off the corners.

Don't prep the surface for 100% dry slick. Put a normal Saturday night track prep on it, and then them boys will find out what a track changing means.

I watched the All-Star race, even if only after recording. It was notable to me for the following reasons:
- Elliot won a million dollars.
- There were distinctive glowing lights beneath the back of the cars, each color according to make.
- There were far fewer wrecks and yellows than I anticipated.
- Poor Wallace was hooked hard into the wall very early - too early - into the wall. A simple bump and run would have been much more polite.

Aric "King of the Random Draw" Almirola on pole for Texas.

EdEdm7cWoAEjIPu.jpg

Since the return, Aric Almirola has been top 12 in points for 8 non-inverted races. His average start in those races is 2.375 with a worst start of 5th.

Last edited:
They just said on the IMSA broadcast that Kyle Busch, who won the Xfinity race earlier, has been disqualified for failing the post-race ride height check. Cindric now has 3 race wins in a row.

I’m surprised NASCAR actually stripped the win, seems like they usually try avoiding that no matter what rule was broken.

Also, I have to imagine both Austin and Chase will be in Cup next year. Perhaps that’s why Keselowski hasn’t signed a new contract yet?

I’m surprised NASCAR actually stripped the win, seems like they usually try avoiding that no matter what rule was broken.

Also, I have to imagine both Austin and Chase will be in Cup next year. Perhaps that’s why Keselowski hasn’t signed a new contract yet?

Cindric’s salary being a seven digit sum less than Keselowski’s will probably make the decision easier, even without the family ties.

I think Briscoe will have to wait another year for when Almirola retires/leaves. I think SHR will hire Larson to replace Bowyer over bringing up Briscoe. There’s a chance Briscoe could do a year for Front Row or Go FAS though I guess.

All-Star events generally stink, cannot comment on hockey, and so many are gimmicky as hell...

Why not go Full Ham? On track Team races, multi car relays, let the old guard race again if they want to, or if none of those appeal take the IROC/ROC idea of a set of as identical as possible cars and let the drivers be the major difference.

Or...take it off the calendar and move purse to the 600 and Darlington.

All star events in hockey have been unwatchable for two decades.

Blaney was going to win that race, but he was on the wrong pit strategy as it turned out. Dillon's win I think will put Clint Bowyer on the bubble for cutoff to the championship chase.

Blaney was going to win that race, but he was on the wrong pit strategy as it turned out. Dillon's win I think will put Clint Bowyer on the bubble for cutoff to the championship chase.
Johnson is 2 points up on Byron at the moment. Reddick (-14) and Erik Jones (-24) both within 1 race distance. Bubba (-76 out) probably needs to win to have a chance.

I'm sure the drivers have access to some kind of simulator that'll let them get a small amount of practice, but this just screams "bad idea made solely for the sake of entertainment."

This is especially silly since NASCAR let the Xfinity teams practice for Indy, and from what I can tell (wasn't able to watch the race) it was very well received.

Someone on reddit who claims to work for JTG Daugherty says that NASCAR left it up to the teams to decide practice or no practice and that only one team voted to practice. I don't believe that for a second. But something to the effect that it saves teams a bunch of money by not practicing, no reason to bring a backup car etc. But as far as I know, practice isn't mandatory so if teams want to save money they could sit out practice. Everyone knows that's dumb and wouldn't happen. So if you want to practice then practice.

Someone on reddit who claims to work for JTG Daugherty says that NASCAR left it up to the teams to decide practice or no practice and that only one team voted to practice. I don't believe that for a second. But something to the effect that it saves teams a bunch of money by not practicing, no reason to bring a backup car etc. But as far as I know, practice isn't mandatory so if teams want to save money they could sit out practice. Everyone knows that's dumb and wouldn't happen. So if you want to practice then practice.
I can't help but think it's less about the teams wanting to save money by not practicing and more the track owners want to save money by not opening the facilities for a second longer then they have to.

Back