2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
I had heard about the ownership offer, but wasn't aware it was only 10-20%. I would not stick around in that equipment for such a small stake if I had an offer from a much more competitive team sitting on the table as it seems Bubba does.

Although I guess a deal could be worked out where Bubba stays in the #43 but they essentially become a 3rd Ganassi team (or the #43 becomes the 2nd team, Kurt moves to the #42 and the #1 goes away).

Here’s a Twitter thread explaining the situation with the Alex Labbe testing incident at Daytona a couple of days ago.

IRacing has scanned the Daytona Roval with the new NASCAR chicane. Here's a quick look.

Honestly, it looks much better than I initially thought it would. Still expecting someone to eat 🤬 going into one of the chicanes, though. It looks like the race will at least be very entertaining, if nothing else.

A couple of the IRacing users on the NASCAR subreddit report that they were able to get speeds of 190 M/H into the backstretch chicane, 180 M/H into the new chicane, and 160 M/H into Turn 1. Obviously that's not a 1:1 comparison to how the cup cars will perform come race day, but it does give something of a benchmark to go off of.

Starting this weekend at Michigan, the Choose Cone (or painted line on track I guess) is now part of the restart procedure at all races except superspeedways and road courses.

Last edited:
Means we lose another team next year. I can't see this as a good thing at all.

Don’t worry, the 95 is going to be a second Spire car, and by extension, a NINTH!!! (including 51,52,53,27,15,7,78,77, and now 95) Rick Ware car (since Rick Ware acquired Premium, who in turn prepare the cars for Spire, Tommy Baldwin, and McLeod)

Don’t worry, the 95 is going to be a second Spire car, and by extension, a NINTH!!! (including 51,52,53,27,15,7,78,77, and now 95) Rick Ware car (since Rick Ware acquired Premium, who in turn prepare the cars for Spire, Tommy Baldwin, and McLeod)
I guess I sort of miss the days when you had teams doing 4 or 5 car lineups consistently (late 90s/early 00s). Now it looks like we are falling back to the 80s, except we are losing, not gaining, huge sponsors.

Why are they replacing the random draw with gimmicky BS? Going off what I've seen, the new system is a number crunch based on points position, finishing position in the previous race ONLY, and fastest lap in the previous race ONLY, and each weighed differently.....Am I reading this wrong? Why is this needed? Why is the pole still apparently being awarded, and has the pole winner still been getting bonuses for winning the lottery? Why not just go by regular points outright like a rain-out? What's the fastest lap at Bristol gonna tell you about how that car will run at Michigan? How much of a clulster is it gonna be when some of J.D. Stacy's Rick Ware's cars finish high at Talladega so they get a boost over cars that could actually bullrush them? Am I asking too many questions for someone who's lost any passion for the sport?

How about some a good thing now? JR Motorsport and Daniel Hemric will be running a tribute livery at Darlington.

This one, to be precise, in honor of John Andretti.
Screenshot-2020-08-04-11.36.57-copy.png

How about some a good thing now? JR Motorsport and Daniel Hemric will be running a tribute livery at Darlington.

This one, to be precise, in honor of John Andretti.
View attachment 947277
That was a cool scheme. Pizza! Pizza!

Edit: Just noticed this was from January

Looks like Preece might run a similar scheme. Even the Kleenex is in the same spot! :lol:

Last edited:
Why are they replacing the random draw with gimmicky BS? Going off what I've seen, the new system is a number crunch based on points position, finishing position in the previous race ONLY, and fastest lap in the previous race ONLY, and each weighed differently.....Am I reading this wrong? Why is this needed? Why is the pole still apparently being awarded, and has the pole winner still been getting bonuses for winning the lottery? Why not just go by regular points outright like a rain-out? What's the fastest lap at Bristol gonna tell you about how that car will run at Michigan? How much of a clulster is it gonna be when some of J.D. Stacy's Rick Ware's cars finish high at Talladega so they get a boost over cars that could actually bullrush them? Am I asking too many questions for someone who's lost any passion for the sport?
I haven't really looked at the new system, I'm just happy that Almirola won't be starting on pole every race.

That was a cool scheme. Pizza! Pizza!

Edit: Just noticed this was from January

Looks like Preece might run a similar scheme. Even the Kleenex is in the same spot! :lol:

Darlington Retro posts scheme ideas. Preece's car hasn't been revealed yet.

It will be a crime if someone not named Hamlin or Harvick wins the championship, which is exactly what I hope happens. :lol:

I think that Harvick was racing with the road course engine this weekend. So much more speed than the rest of the field. Insane to see.

Its official. Bell to the #20. Just some pre2021 guessing on my part, then Jones to the #48, Larson to the #14 and Bowyer to the broadcast booth where he will instantly become the best there is on any network

There is still no word that Erik Jones will be racing in Cup next year OR that HMS will run the 48 after this year.

There is still no word that Erik Jones will be racing in Cup next year OR that HMS will run the 48 after this year.

It seems less likely by the day that Hendrick is going to run 4 cars next year, since they still haven’t found sponsorship for the 88.

A better question is where will Jones go if not the 48? The only options I can see are the 14 (if Larson doesn’t come back), 37 (I think Preece is done at JTG after this year), the 43 if Bubba leaves, or maybe the 34. Personally I think Lajoie is going to the 34 (or 37 if McDowell stays) and Preece to the 32.

Last edited:
It seems less likely by the day that Hendrick is going to run 4 cars next year, since they still haven’t found sponsorship for the 88.

A better question is where will Jones go if not the 48? The only options I can see are the 14 (if Larson doesn’t come back), 37 (I think Preece is done at JTG after this year), or maybe the 34. Personally I think Lajoie is going to the 34 and Preece to the 32.
Spire racing is still an option. Is Reser's a personal sponsor of his?

Spire racing is still an option. Is Reser's a personal sponsor of his?

No, as far as I know they’re a JGR sponsor, I don’t think Jones has anything to bring with him. I think he’d rather go down to Xfinity or Trucks than race for Spire.

I don’t think Stanley/Dewalt have announced their plans either, since the Bell announcement for the 20 didn’t mention any sponsors.

Brandon Jones is also a wildcard since he can buy a ride pretty much wherever he wants, and I imagine he’ll be wanting to move up to Cup at some point

Last edited:
As a Kenseth fan, I can't help but think that the 20 car would have had more success with Kenseth in it the last three seasons. He won his next to last race at Phoenix before his ouster. He hasn't been amazing this year, but still ran 2nd at Indy, despite not running a single practice lap.

Back