Yo Mamma.
Premium
United States
Vero Beach, FL
dice1998
Hey,

2020 Subaru Legacy/Outback teased.

Mgv72Tv.png

Take note of the bigger screen and the Driverfocus distraction mitigation system cameras above it.

:ill:

And they really must give up on that junk CVT, unless they can improve it so that the car can actually do all-wheel-drive-y things.

Is it a facelift? If so, I don't see a problem with the thread continuing, considering the 2015 Mustang that has been up and running still to this day.

I'm getting more of a Mazda 6 vobe in the rear 3/4 of the car.
I see this as Subaru going back to the style of their softer line models:

IMG_6534.JPG

Sigh. Will the touchscreen fad just die already?

It looks nice on the outside at least. I hope it handles better than the last car and that Subaru wakes up to the reality that the CVT needs to go. I don't care anymore if it's (traditional) auto-only. Do that instead, for your own sake, Subaru.

Carscoops
This 7th-gen Legacy is the first-ever Legacy to feature a turbocharged engine.
Top-notch research. :lol:

201539-3809847.jpg

:ill:

And they really must give up on that junk CVT, unless they can improve it so that the car can actually do all-wheel-drive-y things.

I've only heard good things about the CVT, saying it's one of the best in the industry.

Is this an inside joke? All these years, I thought the GL10 had a turbo. :boggled:

Yeah US cars had turbo bonnets- even the 2.5RS and Outback Sports. At least with the third generation, it was an issue with the steering column on the LHD market fouling on the turbo.

SVX
I've only heard good things about the CVT, saying it's one of the best in the industry.
I didn't think much of it either until I heard of the stalling problems, shudders, and other complaints, the "reverse over a curb test" (which was apparently addressed with a software update, to be fair)...and this lame excuse of an attempt to distribute torque.

As someone who in fact softroads my viscous 50:50 MT Subaru, that latter video is embarrassing. Perhaps I wouldn't make it up that particular stretch with my street tires and non-Outback suspension and open differentials, but the car would at least apply power somewhere.

Now that Subaru is going all-CVT, that effort represents "Subaru Symmetrical AWD" for models like the Outback (the video is framed as a test of "Subaru AWD"). What's worse is that Subaru is said to be putting their money on the CVT (and discontinuing manuals) primarily to appease CAFE standards.

Finally, a good looking Subaru released this decade which isn't a concept car! :embarrassed:

SVX

Yeah US cars had turbo bonnets- even the 2.5RS and Outback Sports. At least with the third generation, it was an issue with the steering column on the LHD market fouling on the turbo.
Oh, okay. I'm from the USA and remember that. Thought it was a quote about just recently getting turbo Subarus in the USA. Went over my head. ;)

@SVX -- Following up my last post, as it turns out, because I pulled up that video of the Outback test to share with you, YouTube's algorithm pointed me to this video demonstrating a new X-mode setting on the 2019 Forester. It might have helped in that Outback test, since it apparently allows you to put power down even if X-mode can't detect any traction.

I still prefer my simple fluid-mechanical setup without a computer pretending it knows what's best. :P

Not bad.

Now are they going to make an STi version? Because it'll definitely sell.

Subaru is crushing it right now. They have found the same magic potion that Toyota's truck division has been getting drunk on for about 10 years now. It all hinges around a few attributes:

-Usability
-Capability
-Durability
-Reliability
-Simplicity
-Quality

That is a harmonious bunch of traits. They work together to ensure that anyone who buys one of their projects has a reasonable expectation that it will last many, many years. That, plus the fact that they are generally such practical, useful, and capable vehicles in the first place, means that there is actually incentive for owners to keep them many years. Combine these two and you get a product that has incredible resale value....so high that it doesn't make sense to buy them used. That's the real business payoff here. Make the used car look like poor value next to the new car and you'll sell way more new cars. Not only that, but you secure dedicated customers if they feel secure in the product and the investment in the product. Bravo Subaru.

@Eunos_Cosmo -- The difference between our BL/BP and all other Subarus I've known (from ancient Leones to a GG WRX) is already a jump forward in quality, and we're still 14 years behind. They're both truckin' on towards 200k miles, too, with clean bodies and no reason not to fix what breaks. My BL especially still almost feels like new; I want to get ten years out of it.

Not bad.

Now are they going to make an STi version? Because it'll definitely sell.

What would it fulfill that the GT, Sport or 3.6R didn't in the past couple of gens? Where would it be placed, and how would that differ from those previous sporty models?

What would it fulfill that the GT, Sport or 3.6R didn't in the past couple of gens? Where would it be placed, and how would that differ from those previous sporty models?
As it turns out, the WRX STi is *considerably* more expensive than I thought it was so that wouldn't make as much sense as I thought.

That said, the current 3.6R is a complete joke. When Honda and Nissan both offer sporty turbo engines and Toyota is the performance leader with a big V6 and aggressive design, it's time for Subaru to up their game. If they even keep the anemic 3.6 engine, it needs at least 300 hp and some work to turn it into a sporty option. The Nissan isn't available with its big engine and AWD, so Subaru would have an obvious performance advantage in that regard. The 3.6R with a sport package for between $35-$40k would compete directly with the sporty Camry, but have AWD, and be cheaper than the Acua TLX A-Spec which is basically the next level up for sedan performance. The Japanese don't offer anything between about $32-$40k that is both AWD and performance-oriented. Subaru can go ahead and offer a Wonder Bread 3.6R like they currently do, which looks exactly the same as the rest of them, but they should also offer a sizable sport package that ups the game into an area that doesn't really exist right now outside a gnarly FWD Camry.

As it turns out, the WRX STi is *considerably* more expensive than I thought it was so that wouldn't make as much sense as I thought.

That said, the current 3.6R is a complete joke. When Honda and Nissan both offer sporty turbo engines and Toyota is the performance leader with a big V6 and aggressive design, it's time for Subaru to up their game. If they even keep the anemic 3.6 engine, it needs at least 300 hp and some work to turn it into a sporty option. The Nissan isn't available with its big engine and AWD, so Subaru would have an obvious performance advantage in that regard. The 3.6R with a sport package for between $35-$40k would compete directly with the sporty, but have AWD, and be cheaper than the Acua TLX A-Spec which is basically the next level up for sedan performance. The Japanese don't offer anything between about $32-$40k that is both AWD and performance-oriented. Subaru can go ahead and offer a Wonder Bread 3.6R like they currently do, which looks exactly the same as the rest of them, but they should also offer a sizable sport package that ups the game into an area that doesn't really exist right now outside a gnarly FWD Camry.

Again that doesn't really answer my questions, the current Sport used the H4 turbo and made 270 hp, the 3.6 makes close to that as well. The Camary is about 4.5 to 5k more than the 3.6R. Also the platform we're talking about is one that has been around for seven years now, the new Camary just started this MY, and the previous was around the same figures as the soon to be gone Legacy. It's easy to say the Legacy is bland when the market it operates in is moving on to new gen models. The 3.6 is going to be replaced with a new Flat 4 2.4L turbo engine.

What exactly does Honda and Nissan offer that is sporty turbo engine powered? Also they don't need to up their "game" to the Camary, because there isn't I imagine much cross over market. AWD cars usually seem to be bought and gravitated to due to the necessity of one.

the current Sport used the H4 turbo and made 270 hp
Not sure what Subaru you have in...America...but the one I have in America has offered the same naturally aspirated 2.5 and 3.6 for a decade, since 2009. No turbo engine has ever been offered in the Legacy in the US.

the 3.6 makes close to that as well.
It's made the same 256 hp for a decade.

The Camary is about 4.5 to 5k more than the 3.6R.
It and the 306 hp Camry start $3k apart.

seven years now
Ten. 2009.

the new Camary just started this MY
Last year, 2018. It's been on sale since mid-2017.

The 3.6 is going to be replaced with a new Flat 4 2.4L turbo engine.

What exactly does Honda and Nissan offer that is sporty turbo engine powered?
That's good that Subaru has switched to this engine, because the Accord offers a 252 hp detuned Type-R engine (which from personal experience is putting out far more than advertised) and aggressive styling with big wheels, while the Altima offers a similar design package with a 248 hp engine.

Also they don't need to up their "game" to the Camary, because there isn't I imagine much cross over market. AWD cars usually seem to be bought and gravitated to due to the necessity of one.
The Camary is spelled Camry first of all, and it's V6 is 306 hp, far above the others. None of them are AWD, which is why I suggested a more powerful Legacy would be a quasi-sport sedan and would find a market as a sporty AWD option priced below the Acura TLX A-Spec which starts just under $40k. In fact, the Camry V6 can reach about $38k which is right in the market I'm talking about.

Last edited:
That 2020 Legacy looks very 2nd-gen Lexus IS to me. But hey, it's a Legacy so it'll still be a solid car.

@Keef -- I'm sure Subaru isn't interested in pulling more power out of the 3.6L because they're concerned about fuel efficiency. They're all about fuel efficiency and safety right now (short of ditching standard AWD to get their EPA mileage ratings up, of course), appeasing CAFE and striving to be the #1 safest brand.

They say the FA24 will be good for 32mpg highway in the 2020 Legacy, compared to 28mpg from the EZ36. I imagine a ~300hp version would be closer to the 24mpg from the 80hp/L EZ30R (on a good day).

Back