2020 Subaru Legacy (Starts at Post #70)

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 58 comments
Not sure what Subaru you have in...America...but the one I have in America has offered the same naturally aspirated 2.5 and 3.6 for a decade, since 2009. No turbo engine has ever been offered in the Legacy in the US.

That's great but wrong and while there isn't a current for U.S. turbo, there was one made for the U.S. that ended up being sold in SA and Australia this current gen that is a 2.5 turbo at 268hp or 270~. The GT and B spec before were turbo and sold in the U.S. which brings me back to my question that has yet been answered but one or two have hinted at why it shouldn't, why is the STi needed and where would it be placed? Actually let me be more direct, where would it be placed and how would it be spec wise, that it doesn't eat into WRX STi sales and territory.

It's made the same 256 hp for a decade.

14hp difference...wow that's massive Keef, hence the key words being "close to"

It and the 306 hp Camry start $3k apart.

Not that six hp matters but since you wanted to be anal, the Camary I saw at top spec is 301hp and the price was much more than 3k, but I'll assume options were the reason and your supposed 3k apart is base.

Ten. 2009.

Last year, 2018. It's been on sale since mid-2017.

Gen six started in 2014...if you're talking about the global use of the 3.6 engine, that wasn't what I was talking about. As for the year different in MY the point still stands, the Subaru is probably the last car to make its transition thus comparing the two is strange.

That's good that Subaru has switched to this engine, because the Accord offers a 252 hp detuned Type-R engine (which from personal experience is putting out far more than advertised) and aggressive styling with big wheels, while the Altima offers a similar design package with a 248 hp engine.

Wow so two cars that have power ratings that the Legacy has years ahead with the GT...okay. Not only that but the Altima isn't that great, nor is the output as you stated, it's 236 in 2.0 guise. I'd have to guess the Accord is good because I don't ever see anything to the contrary, and the fact that the Subaru is capable of much more as has been shown with the global GT.

The Camary is spelled Camry first of all, and it's V6 is 306 hp, far above the others. None of them are AWD, which is why I suggested a more powerful Legacy would be a quasi-sport sedan and would find a market as a sporty AWD option priced below the Acura TLX A-Spec which starts just under $40k. In fact, the Camry V6 can reach about $38k which is right in the market I'm talking about.

Again if you're going to be anal (about a Typo of all things, seriously) then get the power figures right. Second I can't find an A-Spec under 40k but interesting nonetheless that you suggest it. Also there is an AWD option and it starts at 35k with 310hp that is a Subaru.

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-model...dition-liberty-send-off/2020-11-25/84127.html
No extra power.
7e4aa57b55facec4ce737244c8eeaf9549c4a1e8.jpg

Last edited:
@05XR8 -- They are very large; I think they've practically grown into an SUV shape. I don't often like "car styling" on SUVs, but the previous Outback is one of the better-looking modern SUVs, IMO.

Shame about the CVTs and the light-up monolith usurping the interior.

Yah, I'm definitely seeing it morph into a Tahoe/Escalade/Excursion at some stage. :sly:
Seriously, won't need the Forester in the line up, unless it's going EV at some stage(I haven't kept up on that model).

Seriously, won't need the Forester in the line up, unless it's going EV at some stage(I haven't kept up on that model).
Hell, I find the current Forester and Outback difficult to distinguish in styling or size, and as a car guy you know I don't have a bad eye for cars. I don't know what they're doing with the Forester anymore. The Crosstrek is the new original Forester.

Outback Wilderness Edition

subaru-outback-wilderness-edition-spy-photos.jpg

The spy photos show an Outback that is riding higher than any other Outback model that Subaru offers today. The extra space between floorboards and the asphalt likely accommodates a more robust suspension designed to tackle tougher terrain. The rugged, off-road aesthetic is further enhanced by the smaller black wheels and the larger, chunkier all-terrain tires wrapped around them. The Outback also sports a revised front fascia, which has a revised grille and repositioned fog lights.

Only the rear bumper is covered at the back, though it doesn’t look different than what’s offered on the model now. It’s also unlikely that the Wilderness Edition will receive any performance enhancements.

Inside, Subaru will likely add some Wilderness Edition touches and badging to help the interior match the exterior’s upgraded ruggedness. The new Outback Wilderness Edition is expected to launch in the second half of 2021 and is yet another soft off-roader from a mainstream automaker.

https://www.motor1.com/news/466043/subaru-outback-wilderness-edition-spied/

RWL tyres.👍 I remember Subarus in the USA used to come with those.

A more rugged interior would be cool.

That is a wagon on stilts. The limited wheel well clearance left by our BP's slightly upsized wheels after its suspension lift makes it a bit more like a wagon on platform shoes -- no easier to clear out the wheel wells in the winter than my Legacy, really.

I wonder if it can really cope with that much height safely.

For many years the Legacy just seemed to get bulkier and fatter, but this looks pretty nimble. That said, not liking how more and more cars are implementing those vertical tablets in the center console. Not only do such screens break up the dashboard design in an extremely intrusive manner, but I also believe their control interfaces are bad for road safety. Static buttons and knobs have worked totally fine for decades...

I really like this car except for two things:

Open deck block on the N/A engine (not sure the 2.5 is even available on the wilderness trim)
CVT

Both of these things make me think this is not a car that will last longer, or at least much longer, than the warranty period...which is sad because I really like it otherwise.

I really like this car except for two things:

Open deck block on the N/A engine (not sure the 2.5 is even available on the wilderness trim)
CVT

Both of these things make me think this is not a car that will last longer, or at least much longer, than the warranty period...which is sad because I really like it otherwise.
The only engine I have seen the Wilderness tested with so far is turbocharged. I don't know what size it is but it's gotten decent reviews for power.

Anyways, my experience with Subaru's CVT is that it's not difficult to find its limits when off-roading. I found them in Wyoming with a rental car...a car that had two dudes in it but was otherwise empty. The CVT just isn't capable, and I don't care what kind of programming they attach to it, it's just not capable. Subarus are great daily drivers and offer peace of mind but even these Wilderness trims are held back by the hardware. It doesn't matter if you lift it another inch, put bigger tires on it, unhook the sway bars, etc, the CVT and traction control just aren't up to the task.

I could've sworn we've been discussing this Wilderness is another thread but whatever.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can't think of a brand that has worse design across the board than Subaru. They are boring and offensive at the same time, a remarkable accomplishment. The last time Subaru made a good looking car was probably the 4th Gen Legacy ('03-'09). The 5th Gen legacy was a massive downgrade and it's not getting any better. The whole brand seems to be coasting.

Subaru-Outback-1996-7.jpg

subaru-outback-07-copy.jpg

It can't be that hard. Hell, the Outback Wagon spawned an entire wave of premium vehicles that tried to emulate it, namely from Volvo and Audi, none of which were as good as the Subaru. And why they didn't keep making the sedan version of the same thing I'm not sure. They're just now starting to lean into the niche they've had for decades with the Wilderness versions which blows my mind. Subaru is literally known for off-road capable cars and rally cars and yet somehow they still missed the rise of the off-road market in North America.

I maintain my opinion that Subaru basically does not study the market at all and just keeps making the same thing over and over again because the same people keep buying them over and over again.

Last edited:
The 4th gen legacy, in all trims and body styles, is just such a good looking thing. From the B4 Blitzen to the Outback wagon. The thing just looks good. It's both purposeful looking and handsome, with good proportions and good details. The GC8 Impreza was a similar story. Like...just do that again Subaru. And no more CVTs for the love of God.

Yikes... the facelift only made an already stodgy and awkward looking car even worse. Given the Legacy's low and continuously declining sales, I predict this will be the final generation of the Legacy (the Outback won't be going anywhere, though).

Their design language went downhill at the exact moment they dropped frameless windows.

Speaking of ugly-ass facelifts that I didn't realize occurred, this happened:

2025-Subaru-Forester-Touring-front-three-quarter.jpg

They managed to make it look like two completely different generations of Ford Explorer at the same time. Incredible.

Rumour has it, the next National Lampoon's Vacation: Clark Returns to Wally World, has the Outback as the Griswald's car of choice.

Speaking of ugly-ass facelifts that I didn't realize occurred, this happened:

2025-Subaru-Forester-Touring-front-three-quarter.jpg

They managed to make it look like two completely different generations of Ford Explorer at the same time. Incredible.
I honestly don’t know what’s up with Subaru lately. To that hideous facelift that’s hit basically all models except the BRZ, the discontinuation of the STI and the very clumsy looking 6th-gen Impreza, and the Solterra EV struggling to even sell 7,000 units for the entire year, the future is looking pretty grim. What’s next, the Outback becomes a full-on CUV instead of a wagon?

and the Solterra EV struggling to even sell 7,000 units for the entire year
I suspect that is largely because it's significantly more expensive than the Toyota BZ4X it's based on without having any additional features aside Subaru branding.

I honestly don’t know what’s up with Subaru lately. To that hideous facelift that’s hit basically all models except the BRZ, the discontinuation of the STI and the very clumsy looking 6th-gen Impreza, and the Solterra EV struggling to even sell 7,000 units for the entire year, the future is looking pretty grim. What’s next, the Outback becomes a full-on CUV instead of a wagon?
I'm sensing overconfident executive leadership who think they can sell anything to typical Subaru buyers.

Subaru discontinues the Legacy after 36 years

• Production will end spring 2025 at conclusion of 2025 model year
  • Starting price of 2025 Legacy is $24,895, same as outgoing 2024 model year
Subaru of America, Inc. today announced production of the Legacy sedan will end next year at the conclusion of the 2025 model year.

Since its debut, Legacy models sold in the U.S. have been assembled at Subaru of Indiana in Lafayette, Indiana. In total, the six generations of the Subaru Legacy have racked up over 1.3 million sales in the U.S. Though the Legacy is the longest-running Subaru model line, its discontinuation reflects market shifts from passenger cars to SUVs and crossovers and Subaru’s transition to electrified and fully electric vehicles. Including the Solterra EV, which debuted in the 2023 model year, Subaru Corporation, the parent company of Subaru of America, Inc., previously announced it would produce eight EV models by the 2028 calendar year.

Hopefully they keep the nameplate in a new form factor but the fact is that the Legacy doesn't sell very well at all while the Outback sells like hotcakes.

Back