2020 Toyota Yaris IV

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 143 comments
Really surprised by the understeer in those transitions. I figured the car would be a lot more playful given its track performance. That said, that stability probably does help quite a bit off-road where you need the car to remain controllable in sideways situations. I bet this thing handles like a dream on dirt.

I think that the understeer is there because it still is a road car. It has to be safe for everyone to drive (many young drivers buying this car will think that they are WRC drivers and put this car and their abilities (read huge, young male ego) to the test)). The WRC version on the other hand .........

If you are talking about understeer during the moose test, then it's the stability system at work. They had some tests of cars without stability system on and they just flew away from the track, like this 86 in track mode and this SUV without stab-control.

If you are talking about understeer during the moose test, then it's the stability system at work. They had some tests of cars without stability system on and they just flew away from the track, like this 86 in track mode and this SUV without stab-control.

No, understeer in general.

There's an even more track focuses GR Yaris coming

1628010097695.png

1628010119274.png

1628010135104.png

Coming to think of it, the curvy rear wing is reminiscent of the Celica GT-Four.

Last edited:
Toyota should get rid of the 60/40 and 30/70 AWD settings and keep the 50/50 and add a 0/100, if the diffs can handle a 0/50 power distribution.

I guess Yaris and Yaris Cross can live in one thread. =)

Took the Cross for a test-drive today. It was a Hybrid Adventure trim with AWD-i system. Rear wheels are powered by an electric motor. It's engaged during launches and on snow\ dirt.

1637094871230.png

1637094898665.png

The weather is eww so the car is dirty.

I couldn't find a conveniently parked current-gen Yaris, so here's a comparison with the last-gen GR SPORT, it's 11 mm lower than the other trim levels. 124 mm VS. 160 mm on the Cross. Should have turned on the lights on both cars...
1637095061083.png

1637095100539.png

The seating position and the dashboard is almost the same as in the small Yaris.
Heated seats with back support, heated steering wheel, wireless phone charger, 2-zone climate-control.
1637095187362.png

You can select between two instrument designs. Classic half-circle with a needle or a square digital one. You can choose all kind of info in the center, like energy flow monitor, AWD system monitor, compass, tyre pressure monitor, etc.
1637095307386.png

The drive mode has three selections- POWER, NORMAL, ECO. Power turns the digital instrument red, Normal is grey and eco is green. AWD system selector lets you choose NORMAL, SNOW and TRAIL drawing snowflakes or gravel on the screen.
1637095454942.png

Door cards with material inserts and gold stripes. Door handles have blue lighting.
1637095507041.png

HUD display comes in a Dynamic pack with JBL sound system. Shows your current speed, traffic signs, lane assist, cruise control and radio stations.
1637095705697.png

Blind spot monitor, adaptive cruise control with lane assist that steers the car back to road, emergency braking, parking sensors and a backup camera with the same picture quality as mine but on a bigger screen. xD

You can download a MyT app to your smartphone and check the car info or even start it, so it will be warm in winter before you go owt and cold in summer.

They didn't bother to cover the engine with a plastic cover)
1637095856571.png

Engine:
M15A-FXE
Inline 3-cylinder
1490 сc

Power: 92 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torq: 120 Nm @ 3600-4800rpm

Electric motor:
Power: 79 hp.
Torq: 141Nm

Total Hybrid Synergy Drive power: 116 hp

Acceleration 100 km\h - 11.8 seconds. (The same as mine, but it feels faster on the initial start, must be the awd)
Max speed - 170 км\ч

Car feels softer and less planted, that's understandable. The acceleration is very smooth like all Toyota hybrids. Overall a pretty comfortable ride. Oh, and I love the engine sound! It's like a... sounds like a chopper motorcycle or something like that, rumbly, makes me smile. xD

Some videos:
(language warning on the first one)

You can see on the small screen behind the steering wheel when the AWD system is active and on the last video part the right front wheel slipped. On the big screen is the energy flow monitor.

Last edited:
Busy news day for the fourth-gen Yaris - First of all, a variant of the GR Yaris which uses a hydrogen-fuel ICE makes its debut. No performance figures just yet, but it also uses a turbocharged 1.6L 3-cylinder like the regular model:
Toyota-hydrogen-powered-experimental-GR-Yaris-2.jpg

And the GR Sport trim for the regular five-door Yaris also makes its debut today:
Toyota-Yaris-GR-Sport-1.jpg

Toyota-Yaris-GR-Sport-2.jpg

Busy news day for the fourth-gen Yaris - First of all, a variant of the GR Yaris which uses a hydrogen-fuel ICE makes its debut. No performance figures just yet, but it also uses a turbocharged 1.6L 3-cylinder like the regular model:
Toyota-hydrogen-powered-experimental-GR-Yaris-2.jpg

And the GR Sport trim for the regular five-door Yaris also makes its debut today:
Toyota-Yaris-GR-Sport-1.jpg

Toyota-Yaris-GR-Sport-2.jpg
A next-gen Yaris GR SPORT? Ooooh! Interesting! :3
This time they decided to keep the new standard steering wheel instead of replacing it with a 86GT wheel like the last-gen model.
Understandable, the new wheel is more functional. And I love the digital instruments. =)
1638475772261.png

Pics of the last-gen model:
(This one also was fitted with lowered sporty suspension, bigger alloy wheels with grippy tires and some interior and exterior styling. It was the first GR SPORT model on the market and pretty affordable at only 20.000 Euros.)
1638475382269.png

1638475402018.png

1638475671582.png

Last-gen had 100 hp and a 0-100 km\h time of 11.8 seconds.
The new one will be 116 hp with 0-100 of 9.7 seconds. (If they keep the same drivetrain settings as the standard model, like they did last time)

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a rebadge of the laziest sort.
2022-Mazda2-Hybrid-7.jpg

2022-Mazda2-Hybrid-6.jpg

Weirdly enough, the original Mazda 2 will still be sold alongside the rebadged Yaris, which will be known as the Mazda 2 Hybrid.
940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs.jpg

Reminds me of a rebadged RAV4 as a Suzuki Across. But even then it had some design difference. This one is... just a rebadge. 0_o

There's an even more track focuses GR Yaris coming

View attachment 1072040

View attachment 1072041

View attachment 1072042
1641543151878.png

At the 2022 Tokyo Auto Salon, Toyota will be showing off a "fully tuned" GR Yaris

GRMN Yaris

1642121091052.png

Circuit Package

1642121132991.png

Rally Package

1642121152528.png

1642121161884.png

Chiba, Japan, January 14, 2022―TOYOTA GAZOO Racing (TGR) premiered the “GRMN*1 Yaris” *2 at Tokyo Auto Salon 2022*3 on January 14. Sales of a 500-unit limited edition model are expected to begin at GR Garages nationwide around summer 2022. The GRMN Yaris is a fully tuned model of the GR Yaris that has gone through rigorous refinement with professional drivers. In addition, a new program is to be activated that will deliver to customers the type of daily vehicle evolution and driver-tailored customization that takes place in motorsports.

The development of the GRMN Yaris began from Morizo’s desire to “deliver cars to customers that evolve quickly and can be tailored to individuals like in the field of motorsports.” Using lessons learned from motorsports competition, body rigidity has been enhanced, weight has been reduced by approximately 20kg*6, overall width has been increased by 10mm*6 for aerodynamic improvement, and vehicle height has been reduced by 10mm*6 for a lower center of gravity. Also, it uses mechanical LSD, a close-ratio gear transmission, and a low final gear set, which has been improved through repeated "breaking and fixing". The GR Yaris has evolved into a car that can be driven faster and with more peace of mind, with improved braking force, grip, cornering and following performance based on feedback from professional drivers.

The reservation lottery for the GRMN Yaris will start today on the TGR Website, and cars will be sold at GR Garages nationwide around summer 2022. In addition to the basic grade, a Circuit Package focused on road performance based on feedback from the Super Taikyu will also be available. The Circuit Package is available in a special Matte Steel*8 exterior color and will be sold as a 50-unit limited edition.
In addition, as a special dealer-installed option that can be added to the base grade, a Rally Package consisting of parts to enhance driving performance on all road surfaces, based on feedback from the All Japan Rally, will be available.

1642121325825.png

Freakin' awesome for Toyota to bring back the TRD days. I'd spec that Circuit Package just to carry my art supplies. :lol:

GRMN Yaris

View attachment 1105638

Circuit Package

View attachment 1105639

Rally Package

View attachment 1105640

View attachment 1105641

View attachment 1105642
Oof, an equivalent of $60k+ for a Yaris. They'll probably sell all of them, but I'm not surprised it's going to be limited.

Do we know if these are going to be sold outside of Japan yet? I imagine there will be a queue of YouTubers waiting to get one if so.

Latest Posts

Back