2020 Toyota Yaris IV

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 143 comments
Speaking of which, the G16E-GTS in the GR4 has now taken the crown from the BMW i8 to achieve the highest power output from a 3-cylinder ICE in a road car, if I'm not mistaken.
And it has a turbocharger, right?

Speaking of which, the G16E-GTS in the GR4 has now taken the crown from the BMW i8 to achieve the highest power output from a 3-cylinder ICE in a road car, if I'm not mistaken.
Not just that, but I believe the highest output for its capacity too.

Yeah, those Focus RS with front wheel drive were pretty good, but with no AWD, putting the RS name was strange.

What's strange about that? Only four times has the RS badge been applied to 4WD cars, the majority have been front or rear driven.

Nope, Peugeot still has the edge with the 1.6 THP unit producing up to 270hp in the RCZ R and 308 GTI.
Ah yes. Weirdly when I went on the event they did claim at the time it would be the most powerful 1.6, but perhaps they've decided to homologate it with less.

Taking orders now
https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/30976389.html?padid=ag478_from_kv
Along with aiming to commence sales of the GR Yaris in around summer 2020, Toyota began*3 (from 10:00 a.m. today) accepting online-only*4 pre-orders in Japan for two special editions of the new model―the RZ "First Edition" and the RZ "High-performance First Edition". Pre-orders will be accepted from January 10 to June 30, or for approximately six months.
Toyota will accept concrete First Edition purchase inquiries limited to customers who pre-order online. The vehicle price of the special-edition RZ "First Edition" is planned to be 3.96 million yen (including consumption tax), and the vehicle price of the special-edition RZ "High-performance First Edition" is planned to be 4.56 million yen (including consumption tax).
About $52,500AUD "First Edition"
About $60,500AUD "High-performance First Edition"

That's worth it for an AWD hot hatch in a class of one. A 2020 WRX starts at $40k-$60kAUD, CTR $51kAUD,

Last edited:
Thankfully, it is £5 cheaper than your lowest prediction! ;)
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-awd-toyota-gr-yaris-starts-at-just-29995/

Surprisingly good value, but this is probably the cheapest it is ever going to be. :scared:
Yeah, noticed this today. And £33k or so for the one with front and rear LSDs and a few other toys.

There's theoretically no limit on production so provided people buy enough of them I don't see them immediately gaining value or anything like that. It's a competitive sector these days and with hot hatchbacks it's only really the very limited-run stuff that is likely to appreciate.

If the GR Yaris ever comes to the US, I will buy it. I've never wanted a Toyota so bad here since the Celica GT-Four ST205.

The Yaris IV family continues to grow with the Yaris Cross compact crossover. Available with Hybrid power and AWD:
toyota-yaris-cross.jpg

toyota-yaris-cross.jpg

toyota-yaris-cross.jpg

toyota-yaris-cross.jpg

Three paintwork options are available: white, red or black. These cover the aluminium bonnet, doors and tailgate of the GR Yaris, but not its carbon-fibre roof.

While not confirmed yet, Toyota Australia’s five-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty is expected to apply to the GR Yaris, with track coverage also likely given the precedent set by the GR Supra last year.

Pre-orders for the GR Yaris will begin at noon on Wednesday, September 23 (AEST), with buyers able to place a $1000 deposit in showrooms or online. The first 50 will also get 20c per litre off fuel from Caltex for a year.

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-model...s-from-39-950-driveaway/2020-09-17/83683.html
TOYOTA Motor Company Australia (TMCA) has announced pricing and specification for its first-ever GR Yaris light hot hatch, with the little pocket rocket set to launch with a $39,950 driveaway price for the first 1000 vehicles sold.

Designed to stimulate initial interest in the new model, the GR Yaris will revert to a list price of $49,500 plus on-road costs once the first 1000 examples have been spoken for.

Its price puts it clearly upstream of its main light hot hatch rivals, namely the Ford Fiesta ST ($32,290) and Volkswagen Polo GTI ($32,890), however the TMCA believes its new contender will lock horns with bigger, more powerful offerings like the Honda Civic Type R and Renault Megane RS.
Along with the pricing announcement, TMCA has revealed it will also be producing an enhanced version of its little hot hatch called the GR Yaris Rallye, a more hardcore version developed with track use in mind.

Limited to just 250 units, the Rallye brings a number of upgrades including race-tuned suspension, Torsen limited-slip differentials on the front and rear axles, red brake callipers and 18-inch BBS alloys shod in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber.

The GR Yaris Rallye is due to touch down locally in the first half of 2021, with pricing for the limited-run model yet to be announced.

Prices in Estonia.

-DutOwrLluY.jpg

The new Yaris is a bit more expensive right now.
The price difference gets bigger with the trim level.
Y7RzRUYodmE.jpg

My 2020 Yaris Hybrid GR SPORT with options costs 20.182 It was the second most expensive trim level at that time. The most expensive was the Hybrid Luxury version with a 22.000 price tag if I remember correctly.
The new Yaris trim levels that I liked are 3.000 more expensive than mine.
You'll have to get the Dynamic pack for 400 Euros if you want digital dials (They look cool). Only the Limited edition has them as standard.
Also, the bright red Bi-tone Coral color is only available in the Limited Edition.
GjjESbqOAtA.jpg

0zX-Im5KlII.jpg

I wonder how much the Yaris Cross will cost. Looks interesting. Should be cheaper than the C-HR.

The GR Yaris price starts from 31.700 Euros.
The Circuit pack with racing suspension, red brake calipers, Torsen differential and 18-inch wheels will add an additional 4300 Euros.
The Convenience pack for 2400 Euros will have Sat-Nav, HUD on the windshield, JBL sound system, Blind spot monitor and parking sensors.

Last edited:
Took the car for a test drive!
Well... what can I say? Yup, it's better than mine. xD
One noticeable minus in that there's less head room for the back passengers.
The driver's place is more comfortable. The steering wheel is higher. The seating position and the car itself reminds me of Aygo.
The new 3-cylinder engine has a really nice sound. Sometimes reminded me of chopper motorcycles. The electric motor feels more powerful as the petrol engine fires up less often.
The new PWR mode has a nice acceleration.

I took some comparison shots.
Comparing my Hybrid GR SPORT to a new Hybrid Style trim levels.

Mine:
aS3DNi3DPG8.jpg

New:
uA_fo_j_oKk.jpg

I like the new circular screens and the screen in the centre of the dash is now higher. And they brought back the energy monitor for it. I can only use the energy monitor on the little screen in the instrument cluster. But I mainly use it for speedometer.
The steering wheel now has a LOT of buttons X_X
And it's heated.
It's also lighter.

Mine:
JFrsDUgEvxY.jpg

New:
IRdEqnQy8yA.jpg

They added a system that shows tyre pressure.
Climate control got more modern, but still easy to use.

Mine:
RAL0mzKhY88.jpg

New:
hB5EjeQwp-o.jpg

The gear stick now has a straight travel instead of those stairs that I have and the parking brake is now a small switch instead of a classic lever.

Mine:
VlkUWHjD6BE.jpg

V0vEb7VsxwQ.jpg

New:
EYI9kiYd7l8.jpg

Also, they placed the seat heating buttons in a more visible place right under the climate control.
The door panel has an interesting design with a fabric finish.

Mine:
43dvIrbUtx0.jpg

New:
_lxCTOkupfs.jpg

And some exterior shots.
t6lZcp-CzTI.jpg

q6ZP09gV0n8.jpg

Mine has halogen projector headlight with LED daytime running lights.
nh5sIXkURuE.jpg

The new one has full LED lights, but the cheapest trim levels have projector lights.
mwuNrj7WM3g.jpg

sWAWlmmG4LA.jpg

also, there are now two windshield wipers instead of one
I kinda like the single wiper more)
...oh and they didn't cover anything in the engine bay.

Mine:
h1wFXTEvliI.jpg

New:
AoVhvOg8slY.jpg

The ride comfort is better in the new one, but it's because mine has bigger wheels, less rubber and hard sport suspension. I don't remember if it's the same as the normal version or better as I've driven the normal Yaris a long time ago.

In the end. The new generation Yaris feels like a modern car inside and outside.

Last edited:
Am I the only one here who think that the new Yaris looks slightly older than the outgoing generation, especially from the rear-end?

Am I the only one here who think that the new Yaris looks slightly older than the outgoing generation, especially from the rear-end?
You are probably not the only one with the same thoughts, but I think the new one looks more modern. You can see it in the little details, like how the windshield is attached, or the door handles, the ergonomics in the cabin...
The overall design became more flowy, softer while the old one is more sharp.
One thing is strange to me is the engine bay. The engine is completely open with all that spaghetti of tubes and wires surrounding it.

Back