2020 Toyota Yaris IV

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 143 comments
If I recall correctly, that is a prototype for the hardcore, track-focused variant of the GR Yaris (which will most likely be given the GRMN badge).

So it would be a GR Yaris GRMN, to go alongside the Yaris GRMN? The GRGRMN. Are Toyota OK?

Last edited:
I wonder how much better this car is going to be compared to the GR.

With better I mean, power, handling maybe a new 2x2 RWD setting?

IMG_20210114_075656.jpg

Dropped off my work ute. One is owned by a salesman, the other is prepped for a customer.

This afternoon I went to a local Toyota dealer to look at a standard Yaris to find out how a GR Yaris would look like. I really hope that the GR Yaris looks much better IRL than a standard Yaris. If not this car is not a car that I would be interested in. Eye candy is as much important to me as the driving experience and a standard Yaris is lacking big time at the eye candy department.
Supringely I find the interior to be a nice and good looking but simple interior. A nice place to be in.

Other than the chopped top, another difference is the front bumper. That really transforms the front from the standard car. I've seen three so far, at the same dealership. Trust, it's all that and then some.

This afternoon I went to a local Toyota dealer to look at a standard Yaris to find out how a GR Yaris would look like. I really hope that the GR Yaris looks much better IRL than a standard Yaris. If not this car is not a car that I would be interested in. Eye candy is as much important to me as the driving experience and a standard Yaris is lacking big time at the eye candy department.
Supringely I find the interior to be a nice and good looking but simple interior. A nice place to be in.

Everything except for the lights and mirrors has been changed so it should look quite a bit different from the regular one! unit-one's photos above really show just how much is different between the 2.

The front-end is beautiful and makes it a different car but the rear-end though is too similar to call it a beautiful car. Granted the driving experience is what counts but I like my cars to look very good as well.

The front-end is beautiful and makes it a different car but the rear-end though is too similar to call it a beautiful car. Granted the driving experience is what counts but I like my cars to look very good as well.

Agreed...

Yet, for some very weird reason, I really like how the GR is able to end so mean and purposed built, despite having practically an identical ugly rear end....

I am almost forgiving its ugliness for its performance....

A couple of hours ago I saw a Yaris IRL in traffic. It looks much better than when I saw the Yaris at a Toyota dealer. Maybe the GR Yaris is a beautiful car after all.
I would prefer black because black hides the less beautiful rear-end, and it looks more aggressive in black.

A couple of hours ago I saw a Yaris IRL in traffic. It looks much better than when I saw the Yaris at a Toyota dealer. Maybe the GR Yaris is a beautiful car after all.
I would prefer black because black hides the less beautiful rear-end, and it looks more aggressive in black.
I would go with Pure White. I like contrasting colors and it makes the design elements more pronounced. =)
fDrajpPtmwc.jpg
gg-zS8zAHAI.jpg

Last edited:
Massive weight reduction at 10:15! :lol:
Unbenannt.jpg

The first video they showed of the development is acutally the same as the one below, however They it was cut short before something interesting:

A Toyota dealer just said (chat) that the production of the GR Yaris will stop at the end of this month.

A Toyota dealer just said (chat) that the production of the GR Yaris will stop at the end of this month.

The topic of how many get produced came up on the most recent episode of Smith & Sniff podcast and their contact at Toyota told them that if there is enough demand they will produce more. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I hope it's true as I still really want one and it'll be a few months before I'm in a position to buy one!

The topic of how many get produced came up on the most recent episode of Smith & Sniff podcast and their contact at Toyota told them that if there is enough demand they will produce more. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I hope it's true as I still really want one and it'll be a few months before I'm in a position to buy one!
Toyota must be crazy to not produce more of this car than the 25,000. It is a successful, high in demand car which could give Toyota a nice profit, I think.

It's interesting that there are many instances where a non-sporty car performs better than a sporty car. But in this case the result is really good.

A video of GR tearing up Laitse Rallypark in Estonia. =)

Last edited:
But it's a Corolla. =)
Yeah, looks cooler than the GR Sport versions.
Yep, it's a Corolla but with a GR Yaris front end. :D

Translation from the website:

September Corolla's Evo appears in HB and wagon! Toyota "Corolla Sport & Touring.

fec1f98aa76d7bc251075902166126d3.jpg

Although it is a 4WD model, the Corolla Sport GRMN is likely to become a sports hatch like the Golf GTI.

db857fb3e345660de7cb853b2913c27f-600x339.jpg

The wagon's Corolla Touring GRMN could also be a more comfortable personality

In the previous scoop information, there was a time when it was reported as "GTI" or "GT-FOUR" of Toyota "Corolla", but the high performance models of "Corolla Sport" and "Corolla Touring" are this.

As you can see from the naming of "GRMN", the specifications are totally coordinated by the GR development team, and it will appear as a 4WD sport equipped with a 1.6L in-line 3-cylinder turbo by GR.

The 1.6L turbo is basically the same as the "GR Yaris" and delivers 272ps / 37.7kgm. The transmission adopts a 6-speed MT, and the 4WD is also combined with the system "GR-FOUR" equipped with a mechanism that can change the front and rear torque distribution with the 4WD mode switch like the GR Yaris. The debut is expected to be September 2021. Attention as a hot model like VW's "Golf GTI" and "Golf R Variant"!

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/243049

Last edited:

It's interesting that there are many instances where a non-sporty car performs better than a sporty car. But in this case the result is really good.

A video of GR tearing up Laitse Rallypark in Estonia. =)

Really surprised by the understeer in those transitions. I figured the car would be a lot more playful given its track performance. That said, that stability probably does help quite a bit off-road where you need the car to remain controllable in sideways situations. I bet this thing handles like a dream on dirt.

Really surprised by the understeer in those transitions. I figured the car would be a lot more playful given its track performance. That said, that stability probably does help quite a bit off-road where you need the car to remain controllable in sideways situations. I bet this thing handles like a dream on dirt.
I think that the understeer is there because it still is a road car. It has to be safe for everyone to drive (many young drivers buying this car will think that they are WRC drivers and put this car and their abilities (read huge, young male ego) to the test)). The WRC version on the other hand .........

Back