2020 Toyota Yaris IV

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 143 comments
You are probably not the only one with the same thoughts, but I think the new one looks more modern. You can see it in the little details, like how the windshield is attached, or the door handles, the ergonomics in the cabin...
The overall design became more flowy, softer while the old one is more sharp.
One thing is strange to me is the engine bay. The engine is completely open with all that spaghetti of tubes and wires surrounding it.
Yup, I can see that. It's a shame that the US market is not getting the new Yaris and we're still stuck with that strange Mazda Demio sedan rebadge. I guess there's not much money, if any, to be made off subcompact cars these days. My Hyundai guy told me that they lose money for every Veloster and Accent sold so I'm guessing its the same thing for many Toyota dealers and for other subcompacts.

Last edited:
Yup, I can see that. It's a shame that the US market is not getting the new Yaris and we're still stuck with that strange Mazda Demio sedan rebadge. I guess there's not much money, if any, to be made off subcompact cars these days. My Hyundai guy told me that they lose money for every Veloster and Accent sold so I'm guessing its the same thing for many Toyota dealers and for other subcompacts.
Yeah, it's so strange that the USA got a remade Demio as a new Yaris.
Hmm... I read somewhere that things go well with small cars in Europe although the SUV market is growing really fast. Toyota is launching the Yaris Cross but it also will keep the tiny Aygo.

Yaris Cross Australian pricing
https://m.drive.com.au/news/2021-to...cs-26-990-to-37-990-plus-on-road-costs-124463

Toyota Yaris Cross GX
• 2WD petrol $26,990
• 2WD hybrid $28,990
• AWD hybrid $31,990

Toyota Yaris Cross GXL
• 2WD petrol $29,990
• 2WD hybrid $31,990
• AWD hybrid $34,990

Toyota Yaris Cross Urban
• 2WD petrol $32,990
• 2WD hybrid $34,990
• AWD hybrid $37,990

Although the RRP overlaps the much larger Toyota RAV4 (starting from $32,695), and the Ford Puma ($29,990 to $35,540), Mazda CX-3 ($28,650 to $38,540) and Nissan Juke ($27,990 to $36,490), Toyota maintains the Yaris Cross is competitively priced. (Note: all prices shown are before on-road costs.)

Last edited:
My Hyundai guy told me that they lose money for every Veloster and Accent sold...

Oh, that crazy variable operation myth. They make less money compared to a car that retails for $35k...naturally. But it's still something.

They make it up in holdback/incentives, marked-up dealer fees, overpriced add-ons, the Finance and Insurance manager sells you more desserts you'll never get to eat. You can fight for an edge in one corner but lose out on seven others.

The problem is the buyer of a $20,000 automobile isn't going to buy as many add-ons as the $30-40K buyer.

Last edited:
Oh, that crazy variable operation myth. They make less money compared to a car that retails for $35k...naturally. But it's still something.

They make it up in holdback/incentives, marked-up dealer fees, overpriced add-ons, the Finance and Insurance manager sells you more desserts you'll never get to eat. You can fight for an edge in one corner but lose out on seven others.

The problem is the buyer of a $20,000 automobile isn't going to buy as many add-ons as the $30-40K buyer.
Especially, when the qualified buyer of the car, won't buy it "Now", if weather strips and floor mats aren't thrown in on the deal. ;)

Last edited:
Saw this pull up at the local dealer, during the afternoon school run.
IMG_20201112_151515.jpg
IMG_20201112_151540.jpg

Made some pics comparing the low trim level to the high one.
Low is the red car and the high is the white one.
Wre19RvM3ko.jpg

AzfjNGl4x6U.jpg

Halogen projector lights.
SehbMFkCgqE.jpg

LED lights.
K-5HCmuI1wA.jpg

Bulb-type lights.
LmtK19r-kVQ.jpg

LED lights.
MbZ_7Frg6Bg.jpg

Matte pattern bumper.
5axOYqjkQoE.jpg

Gloss pattern bumper.
t_TxQvQquKg.jpg

Steel wheels with hubcaps.
3uLkmfYcxjw.jpg

Alloy wheels.
-aikKdzVhOQ.jpg

Low car has simple instruments.
krEcEkwAnJc.jpg

High car has digital instruments.
UL-CVI2EcYY.jpg

Low car has an ignition key switch.
QG_Av0j6l3s.jpg

High car has a keyless start button.
Nh_D1rnPw0Q.jpg

From the side view, the Mazda 2 already has a strong resemblance to the new Yaris. Assuming the majority of the body panels are shared between the two cars, it's going to look like an evolutionary step up from the current-gen 2.

The GR Yaris is really growing on me, and the recent snowfall in my area only made me think more about it. My current Fiesta ST is really fun, but I wish it would send power to all four wheels.
Two of the drawbacks that I noticed are being talked about are the bad visibility to the passenger side (the rear view mirror is quite intrusive and with the tablet stuck to the center console there is not much room looking out over there) and the high seating position (being 1.90cm tall I already fell like I sit up high in the Fiesta). I think I will contact the nearest dealer, which is 100 km away :ouch:, to see if they got their hands on one.

Reading the Speedhunter article about the HKS development Yaris I noticed this picture and the description:
hks_gryaris_dino_dalle_carbonare_15.jpg

This HKS build has presence for days, but one aspect left me happy but confused. As I mentioned in my previous GR Yaris drive feature, Gazoo Racing developed a carbon fiber roof panel to help lower the Yaris’s center of gravity, only to finish it off with a carbon-look vinyl. Peel it away and you get what you see above.

Toyota cover the roof with a sticker that makes it look like a different type of CF and I have to admit I really like this forged look more.

The mirror's more of a problem than the screen. The infotainment screen is always below the base of the windscreen, but the windscreen is fairly narrow, you sit fairly high and the mirror is quite large.

Though I didn't actually notice it that much when I was driving the GR.

Last edited:
Definitly naked carbon fiber has nicer look, similar to Hurracan Performante details, but thing with CF is that is very sensitive to sun(UV), and after few years on sun looks very bad, so I would say that CF vinil is there on purpose for protection.

Last edited:
Definitly naked carbon fiber has nicer look, similar to Hurracan Performante details, but thing with CF is that is very sensitive to sun(UV), and after few years on sun looks very bad, so I would say that CF vinil is there on purpose for protection.
According to a car journalist on youtube, the vinyl is used because it is cheaper than prepping CF for paint and paint the CF.

I watched that ad expecting some drifting or some speeding on public roads or something. Seriously? There was some hard acceleration on a dusty bit of land and a guy driving along what appears to be a private dirt track. That's it?! :lol:
There was a man in a shed and he jumps in his Yaris and kicks up dust, as he makes a left turn, in front of the shed.

I've been watching a lot of video clips about the Yaris GR and I must say that I'm very much intrigued. This little car seems to be a lot of fun combined with daily practicality. And it is fiscally cheap. :D

There was a man in a shed and he jumps in his Yaris and kicks up dust, as he makes a left turn, in front of the shed.

Yeah that's the bit I was referring to by "hard acceleration". It kicks up some dust on a loose surface as he accelerates away. If you're not allowed to accelerate hard then how do you even advertise a performance car? I can imagine the revised ad featuring it doing 30mph in a residential area but with lots of camera shake to make it look exciting :lol:

Last edited:
What is this? What are you doing Toyota?

If I recall correctly, that is a prototype for the hardcore, track-focused variant of the GR Yaris (which will most likely be given the GRMN badge).

Back