2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
Another thing I have noticed about this weekend is that they aren't interviewing drivers with microphones on long poles and nobody seems to be wearing a mask.
As @05XR8 mentioned they've all been tested and there's currently no cases in the NT, not even in hotel quarantine. I'm also pretty sure they've never had a case of community transmission since the start of this mess. In Sydney there were cases so they did the safe thing.

Edit: I've just checked and currently there's been no evidence of community transmission in the Northern Territory.
https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/current-status#community-transmission

Last edited:
Well everyone has figured out the tire situation and now we are back to what we had before with everyone being on the same tire: Follow the leader.

Hidden Valley is obviously a lot kinder on the tyres than SMP is. Amazing how ADP was able to lap as fast as the other drivers who didn't use their softs yesterday.

Guess I missed one of the races today. Notices it's 9 minutes before the start rather than the cars sitting on the grid for an hour. Post Covid, they should stick to this.

Edit: Is the Pit window rule new? I love that rule.

Last edited:
Gotta say I'm going to enjoy this 4 straight weekends of racing. Never been a fan of the month long breaks between rounds.

I've got mixed feelings about it. I mean, it's great but it does feel like they are rushing to get the season wrapped up as soon as possible. It's understandable though.

Last edited:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/21/supercars-changes-pit-release-rule-after-whincup-non-penalty/

I'm calling bs on this! They just needed to adjudicate this in the same manner as they've done on other occasions since the Mostert/Kelly incident.

From the telecast Whincup can be seen starting to exit into Coultard's path while he was still wholly (all 4 wheels) in the fast lane, and Bairdo has got better access than me to the footage :odd:

At this stage JW had already been released but was a bit slow getting going which caused the issue for FC, and FC is already part way alongside JW.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
It's as if "upstairs" would have preferred Coulthard just slam into Whincup. People would blame Coulthard for being a prick and not applying the brakes to avoid contact.

If racing is all about time lost, it did cost Coulthard. It probably cost the #17 the most, if anything.

VASC always adjusting rules. Many a time for no reason. If there was contact, I bet the rule wouldn't have been tidied up.

It's as if "upstairs" would have preferred Coulthard just slam into Whincup. People would blame Coulthard for being a prick and not applying the brakes to avoid contact.

If racing is all about time lost, it did cost Coulthard. It probably cost the #17 the most, if anything.

VASC always adjusting rules. Many a time for no reason. If there was contact, I bet the rule wouldn't have been tidied up.
According to FC there was slight contact.

But I couldn't see any, no matter how hard I tried.

One heck of a recovery drive from Pye. Probably the only major highlight in a fairly uneventful race.

Last edited:
Not surprised that T8 would protest Frosty's move to get by SVG because that's just how they are. But I saw it as fair play for SVG blocking so much. Glad that the result stayed the same. May have been a podium finish there if that pass hadn't taken so long.

The Bend might be back on the calendar if a deal can't be worked out with QR.
QR is off the table now so it's either The Bend or SMP... again :rolleyes:. But it seems like The Bend is more likely.
Speedcafe.com understands the Tailem Bend facility is the leading candidate to host at least one round this year.

Tetley said he expects Supercars will race at the circuit which played host to the pre-season SuperTest and debuted on the Supercars calendar in 2019.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/28/queensland-raceway-off-the-cards-for-supercars/

The circuit looks a little bit odd without all the grandstands around the circuit, sort of reminds of the early days of the Clipsal 500.

Hazelwood’s car looks fantastic this weekend.

The circuit looks a little bit odd without all the grandstands around the circuit, sort of reminds of the early days of the Clipsal 500.
Ah the good ol' days, when we could see the cars from on the starting grid to almost all the way to turn 4 from our seats in the Senna Chicane Inside Gold A stand. Then over the years greed took over and our stand was moved to fit more corporate suites in which killed the view down Wakefield Road, and then the overpass was doubled in size and more stands were added in front of that bringing our viewing area down to about 150 metres. It ended up being pretty piss poor for the most expensive seats outside of corporate. I'd hate to see what it's like now (I haven't been since 2012).

Four teams on the first two rows of the grid. Good to see some variety up front. Though I think Whincup is going to be very hard to beat. Big chance for him to make some ground up on McLaughlin.

They announced yesterday at the very end of the telecast there'll be a double-header at The Bend 👍.

It's looking like all will be 200 km races with refuelling, and could possibly be held on different layouts. The only possible layouts I could see being used are the International circuit ( the one they always use), the West circuit, or the GT circuit. The East circuit pit lane is far too small to accommodate pit stops so that's out, and I think the full GT circuit would require too much from a logistical standpoint. The West circuit would be the logical 'other' choice as it utilises the main pit lane building and the viewing, while smaller in area, would be great because you can see the whole track from most spots. https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/30/the-bend-owner-hopeful-of-using-multiple-layouts-for-supercars/

It's also been great to get back to ''proper'' racing over the last couple of rounds, and the speed that's been shown from teams like BJR, WAU, Team 18 and Tickford being able to take it right up to T8 and DJRTP has been refreshing.... and on merit too :sly:;)

It's also been great to get back to ''proper'' racing over the last couple of rounds, and the speed that's been shown from teams like BJR, WAU, Team 18 and Tickford being able to take it right up to T8 and DJRTP has been refreshing.... and on merit too :sly:;)

Think the high degradation made the racing a hell of a better than what we saw at Hidden Valley. Hopefully The Bend is more of the same.
Also, Will Davison in as Water's co-drive for Bathurst. Going to be a tough combo if they have a good car.

Formidable. With the pace Waters has shown this year, I expect them to be right up there.

They announced yesterday at the very end of the telecast there'll be a double-header at The Bend 👍.

It's looking like all will be 200 km races with refuelling, and could possibly be held on different layouts. The only possible layouts I could see being used are the International circuit ( the one they always use), the West circuit, or the GT circuit. The East circuit pit lane is far too small to accommodate pit stops so that's out, and I think the full GT circuit would require too much from a logistical standpoint. The West circuit would be the logical 'other' choice as it utilises the main pit lane building and the viewing, while smaller in area, would be great because you can see the whole track from most spots. https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/08/30/the-bend-owner-hopeful-of-using-multiple-layouts-for-supercars/

I was supposed to go to The Bend but mum cancelled the booking because we didn't think it was happening. Sadly we can't book again and even if we could, border restrictions would prevent us from entering South Australia. Guess I'll go next year.

Think the high degradation made the racing a hell of a better than what we saw at Hidden Valley. Hopefully The Bend is more of the same.
Unfortunately The Bend is very, very low degradation (basically little to no falloff) from what was learnt during the test day... even when they ran on softs :indiff:.

I was supposed to go to The Bend but mum cancelled the booking because we didn't think it was happening. Sadly we can't book again and even if we could, border restrictions would prevent us from entering South Australia. Guess I'll go next year.
Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation the place really isn't set up well for disabled people. I find it really hard going in my power assisted chair because of the rough terrain but it might be a bit easier for you having full electrics. When I was there for the test day they only had room for about 4 wheelchairs in the stand down at turn one and we had to drive to get to the closest disabled toilet (there was only one in the whole place, and it was in the main building). I'd hope it's better during the Supercars event because I'm hoping to make it there at some stage but it's all been a bit of **** show most times I've been there.... at least it was free then though.

This is a pretty good section in terms of the ground. In other places it's far rockier. We've seen a few people get stuck bellying out there cars on the mounds and have to be towed. I won't take my FPV or HSV there because they're bound to bottom out, but luckily we have the Outback for these occasions.
20180415_144442.jpg

I'd hope it's better during the Supercars event because I'm hoping to make it there at some stage but it's all been a bit of **** show most times I've been there.... at least it was free then though.
The toilet situation really isn’t any better for the Supercars events, unfortunately. A few portaloos down at Turn 1 and near the last few turns, if I recall correctly but that’s it.

They really should offer the viewing areas of the main building to disabled people at the cost of GA, especially if they’re not going to supply adequate facilities elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation the place really isn't set up well for disabled people. I find it really hard going in my power assisted chair because of the rough terrain but it might be a bit easier for you having full electrics. When I was there for the test day they only had room for about 4 wheelchairs in the stand down at turn one and we had to drive to get to the closest disabled toilet (there was only one in the whole place, and it was in the main building). I'd hope it's better during the Supercars event because I'm hoping to make it there at some stage but it's all been a bit of **** show most times I've been there.... at least it was free then though.

This is a pretty good section in terms of the ground. In other places it's far rockier. We've seen a few people get stuck bellying out there cars on the mounds and have to be towed. I won't take my FPV or HSV there because they're bound to bottom out, but luckily we have the Outback for these occasions.
View attachment 953938
The lack of facilities was very much a concern that mum and dad had. Now that you've told me the situation, I don't feel so bad now. Still hurts though.

The toilet situation really isn’t any better for the Supercars events, unfortunately. A few portaloos down at Turn 1 and near the last few turns, if I recall correctly but that’s it.

They really should offer the viewing areas of the main building to disabled people at the cost of GA, especially if they’re not going to supply adequate facilities elsewhere.
The first time I went to the TCR round they had a small platform that I couldn't even get my wheelchair on to because of a step :ouch: down at turn one and one disabled portoloo that was near impossible for me to get into between all the walkers using it and because of a (another) just a bit too big of a step up into it. Even the ramp down by turn one is near on impossible for me to get up because of the long constant uphill gradient (pretty sure it's not legal). If it was smooth it might be okay but small pebbles are wheelchairs enemies when you have small front wheels like mine (it's built for cornering, not 4 wheel driving).

I fully agree about the main building viewing areas, especially as everywhere else around the track is so poorly catered for.

Man, I’m sorry to hear about that. That kind of stuff is inexcusable. The track hard enough to get around as an abled body person, but until now I never considered how difficult it would be for anyone in a situation like yourself and @CLowndes888.

If we’re ever at the same event down at The Bend, I’d be more than happy to offer you guys assistance if needed. I’m not much of a chatty person, to be honest, but I can talk all day about Motorsport so I’m sure it wouldn’t be too awkward for you guys. :P

Last edited:
Back