2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
At least it was entertaining! Look, I don't want to be spending 2 hours of my day watching a procession; I want to see actual racing where people actually have to fight their way to the top. Most of the races last year were pretty boring, apart from Townsville, Albert Park and Bathurst. Supercars is supposed to be a close and competitive championship, but it doesn't always seem that way when you look at the winner's list. Would you rather have so-called "manufactured" racing where you get a wider variety of results, or "normal" racing where the results are more predictable? If you want to watch predictable races where the best always win, watch Formula 1. But you'll probably say that's too boring because there isn't enough "racing" going on. Why should Supercars be the same?
I understand what you're saying but it's not racings fault that Supercars sometimes doesn't meet your needs, that's down to you're own perception of what makes racing exciting. Different winners doesn't make racing anymore exciting, that's you're perception of what makes racing exciting for you personally. Most motorsports don't have two guys from opposing teams in opposing brands fight the championship out to the very end for several years running. Is that not a close and competitive enough championship for you?

I personally love to see three of the absolute best operators in the history of Supercars (with guest appearances from Chaz, DR, ADP, Percat, Waters and co.) fighting it out at the front. Why should we lose that? It's up to the second tier drivers to step it up a notch. If Scott Mclaughlin can carry a car (FG X, Volvo) to the front then so should the other drivers... if they're good enough. If they're not good enough, then they don't really deserve to win, let alone the cheap wins.

I also love seeing the midfield battles and think it's a shame they don't get more airtime. In-car camera choices would go a long way in solving that. It's been done before on Foxtel (and it should be an option on the replays, but I doubt this will ever happen because Supercars love to sanitise some track action. Best not let the public see what really happened and all).

Regarding the sometimes processional nature, again, not racings fault. You can rest the blame for that fair square on Supercars. Their inability to see and do the blatantly obvious is the cause. Hot tip Supercars: If you want to reduce aero, you have to actually reduce the aero, not just shift it around... and ffs get rid of the Gurney. It's one of the main causes of the aero wash the drivers are complaining about, and it's been an issue since it was first introduced to the Nissan.

And I do watch F1, not as much as I used to but that's not the racings fault. ;)

Last edited:
This could throw a spanner in the works for next round. Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan (where T8 are) declared hotspots by NT. :nervous:: https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/31/nt-major-events-monitoring-queensland-covid-19-situation/

I like my sporting memorabilia but would anyone seriously pay $200 for a half size 3kg replica of DJ's rock. Possibly people who were there I suppose, but come on, it's a replica rock. https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/31/collectable-company-launches-scale-model-of-johnson-rock/

DJRROCK_IMG_0829.CR2IMG_0830.CR2IMG_0829.CR2DJRROCK_01_1024x682-450x300.jpg

I’m happy for them to stay at Tailem
Bend. Get a few races in and far enough from the city to not infect us simple Adelaide folk.

I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

How long before the teams do a border dash to SA?
We'll probably find out on Tuesday when they've finished their quarantine in Queensland but I'm not really sure they've got many other options left because we'll be the only ones still open soon.

So, Supercars only needs to run another two rounds in either NT or QLD to meet the criteria for the Championship to be awarded. Good have clarification on this. Think the prospect of getting a full calendar of events in is pretty slim.

As the category jostles its 2020 calendar, Motorsport Australia has confirmed Supercars must conduct at least six rounds across a minimum of four states or territories.

So far the championship has hosted four rounds which include the season-opening Adelaide 500, the cancelled Melbourne 400, and the two most recent Sydney SuperSprint events.

Despite the Melbourne 400 falling victim to the coronavirus pandemic, Speedcafe.com understands the event is still counted towards the championship as cars qualified.

Looks like we could find out if the NT round is going ahead this afternoon.
The latest plan is for the charter flight for series and team personnel to leave at 1pm AEST today.

There has been a condition added to entry into the Territory, with teams asked to name any staff that have been to specific hot spot areas in the past 14 days.

Anyone who has been to those hot spots will be required to quarantine for 48 hours upon arrival to Darwin.
https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/supercars-quarantine-rules-darwin/4849658/

It's a weird sight seeing all the team and TV transporters stranded in town. Usually they just pass on through, but with COVID and being the last town before the border, we're seeing all the teams coup up here awaiting the decision on if they are allowed into the NT. It's truly bizarre to see in person.

Looks like the ATCC is coming back! Maybe...

They'll have to run the series like GT3, with a customer-based model instead of a manufacturer-based one. That's the only way to ensure that this series survives. Teams buy the car from the manufacturer directly, but they still have to run the operation themselves. This way, there won't be a discrepancy between manufacturer based-teams and privateers.

Last edited:
The way TCR works as well. See GRM.;)

I agree though. I would prefer the GT3 customer racing model. However, when a manufacturer pulls the pin( VW/Audi, etc.), again, see GRM... teams are stuck in limbo.

Unless Queensland closes it's border completely, which could very well be on the cards by then unfortunately. If things get much worse we could even be back to total border lock-downs in a couple of weeks time. :nervous:

Thought Queensland were only shutting their border to NSW and the ACT? Bloody hell. We were doing so well too. :(

Burgess mentioned the roll hoop may be lowered around 100mm. Also some bits about engine, less aero and a different tyre.

Burgess mentioned the roll hoop may be lowered around 100mm. Also some bits about engine, less aero and a different tyre.
Yeah I read about that. The only thing of value they're adding is the roll hoop lowering. The engine he's talking about is a generic one, but they've had the LS3 based one since the 2013 introduction of the car of the future. No manufacturer has wanted to use it yet so I don't see that changing, and less aero was supposed to have been done last year. The tyre is really a moot point at this stage because until they lessen the downforce they won't know what they're dealing with.

.... And who's stupid idea was it to award the triple crown to the round winner. They really should be awarding the round winner with the round win only, because as it stands this year, theoretically the triple crown can be won with no pole positions and no race wins this year. Way to devalue the triple crown award Supercars :rolleyes:... but it does go in line with their devaluing of the top 10 by upping it to 15 (something that was given the flick when tried in the early 2000's), and handing out wins to tyre hoarders.

I found this interesting story on the history and evolution of the shootout 👍 . It reminded me of its checkered history and that as a Ford fan I was disgusted in the decision to include Moffat in the first one. https://www.pressreader.com/australia/australian-muscle-car/20191024/281530817786726

God damnit. Mostert was looking pretty pacey in practice and the transaxle decides it's tired of living? :ouch: On the bright side, at least he won't be starting dead last.
.... And who's stupid idea was it to award the triple crown to the round winner. They really should be awarding the round winner with the round win only, because as it stands this year, theoretically the triple crown can be won with no pole positions and no race wins this year.

I'm glad they are awarding a round winner but it does make the Triple Crown title completely pointless.

I get that they’re not at the track to commentate so they might be used to the way that they’re currently working, but does anyone else think the commentary has been particularly bad so far today?

Considering there’s no support events this weekend, pretty stiff for the crowd in attendance to cop a time shortened race.

Last edited:
Got to watch a bit on 10/Win. #17 engineers not reigning their driver in at the restart.

Dutton saying he didn't see the #99, but looked like one of the tyre crew did.

Bad call to penalise the #15, but Baird was consistent with pretty much all the penalties handed out.

Looks like I didn't miss much: BJR business as usual. :scared:

Guess I'll have to wait til 2022, to see what's changed.

Another refreshing podium. Was hoping with the start he had that Frosty could pull out a win.

And Triple-8 are not having a good weekend are they? Damaged car, penalties, fines.

Can't remember the last time there that many penalties handed out in one race. :crazy:
Considering there’s no support events this weekend, pretty stiff for the crowd in attendance to cop a time shortened race.

Yeah, I couldn't believe when Crompo said that the race was going to go time certain. Absolutely ridiculous with no support categories on the card.

Yeah, I couldn't believe when Crompo said that the race was going to go time certain. Absolutely ridiculous with no support categories on the card.
It's the unfortunate byproduct of the entertainment aspect of motorsport trumping the sport side of motorsport. It's also why they have breaks in proceedings during the shootouts and the AFL umpires can't bounce the ball till the green light comes on. It's all because free-to-air has to slot their adverts in or in the case of time certain go to their next programmed show. I miss the days of the sport aspect being the main focus :(________________
On another note, I wonder how long it will be till the gambling community (mainly the bookies) ark up about these tyre rules? I remember back when gambling was first introduced to F1 and all the not so smart gamblers and bookies had their money and odds stacked in favour of Rubins (because he was on pole) only for him to pull over and let MS through on the first corner. The rules were changed to outlaw team orders because every one lost money. The not so in the know punters backed Rubins and the not so in the know bookies based their odds on Rubins being on pole so all the actual F1 fans made a killing on MS :sly:. Another instance of outside interests trumping the sport. :indiff:

Another thing I have noticed about this weekend is that they aren't interviewing drivers with microphones on long poles and nobody seems to be wearing a mask.

All I can take from the no masks are, everyone have been tested, with negative results. I have no info about that.

Just turned in with about 3 minutes to go. Why they have the Irwin car out into traffic? We always see someone trying to run out of phase and it screws their qualy.

Back