2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
Think this works a hell of lot better than Chaz's livery does. It's actually pretty good, imo.

100220_WAU_VASCLIVERY_DKIMG0084-scaled.jpg

Is that chrome red, red chrome?

Looks like it. Didn't Rick have something similar on his Altima a couple of seasons ago? And yes, black wheels would have been great.

With it being revealed so early on. I totally forgot how nice Heimgartner's car looked. Kelly Racing have always had good liveries but they've really outdone themselves this year.

Had a friend remind me the race is on next week. Seems like it's supposed to be next month.

Outside of the NFL, Cricket and the 12hr. So little goes on during January/February. I've been counting the days. :lol:

I have heard that the Kelly Racing Engines are down on power compared to the others
Considering how quickly they had to develop a new engine, could be the case. I figure by the end of the season they'll be mostly caught up. Not expecting much out of them until 2021.

Considering how quickly they had to develop a new engine, could be the case. I figure by the end of the season they'll be mostly caught up. Not expecting much out of them until 2021.
I’m quite disappointed for Andre mainly and I hope that he can sneak a win out at one of the tracks that don’t require good power like Winton or Perth

I’m real interested to see how much the technical changes affect the cars through the series’ more challenging sections of track this year. I’ve recently been watching some previous Adelaide 500 races on Kayo and Turn 8 has certainly become relatively tame in recent years, although the reprofiled barries have surely played their part too.

Another note, new seats for myself and my family this year. We’ll be sitting at a platform inside Turn 9 with table seating as opposed to a proper grandstand. So if the cars do become noticeably more nervous through Turn 8 (where I’ve been sitting the last few years), I’ll be a little disappointed. Seeing a race car going through that sweeper is truely something that needs to be experienced in person.

I’m real interested to see how much the technical changes affect the cars through the series’ more challenging sections of track this year. I’ve recently been watching some previous Adelaide 500 races on Kayo and Turn 8 has certainly become relatively tame in recent years, although the reprofiled barries have surely played their part too.

Another note, new seats for myself and my family this year. We’ll be sitting at a platform inside Turn 9 with table seating as opposed to a proper grandstand. So if the cars do become noticeably more nervous through Turn 8 (where I’ve been sitting the last few years), I’ll be a little disappointed. Seeing a race car going through that sweeper is truely something that needs to be experienced in person.
I'll be keeping an eye on turn 5 tomorrow. Last year the Mustang could go flat round there so it will be interesting to see how far off flat they are this year.

...and I agree about Turn 8 (or 10 in F1 layout). I've seen F1's , Le Mans cars, Supercars and many support categories go through there and it's amazing. The Panoz LMP-1 being one of my all time favourites... coz that sound :drool:

Well, if the Camaro is converted to rhd, that can be a case to keep racing a GM product.

At this point( again), time to start talking to Marc Cars. At least, different body styles can be designed to fit.

Well, if the Camaro is converted to rhd, that can be a case to keep racing a GM product.

The Camaro is supposedly ending production soon too though.
In talking to sources who spoke to us on the basis of anonymity, we got a uniform message that the current, sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro will, in fact, be discontinued at the end of the 2022 calendar year.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/whats-really-going-on-with-the-future-chevrolet-camaro/
At this point( again), time to start talking to Marc Cars. At least, different body styles can be designed to fit.
Marc or TA2, but if there's no GM product Supercars will die.

Just like what happened with road car manufacturing here, Ford went, Toyota followed & Holden shut up shop too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford look at their involvement/spend on Supercars without any opposition.

This has played out in other categories over the years so why wouldn’t it happen here?

Grid numbers are in steady decline... the writing is on the wall for Supercars.

As for what replaces Supercars, only a popular, international category makes sense to me.

The Camaro is supposedly ending production soon too though.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/whats-really-going-on-with-the-future-chevrolet-camaro/
Marc or TA2, but if there's no GM product Supercars will die.
Oh well... :sly:

Seriously, there would have to be a revamp of the Gen 3 car, like... today. Can't be waiting for GM to make any type of decision. Might have to switch to GT4 or GT3 until they can figure this out. Just saying.

The ZB can, probably, continue for another couple years. Though, do teams start jumping over to Ford for that funding?

I don't think VASC would die with 20-22 Mustangs on the grid. These are still unique cars to drive. Many thought V8SC would die with an AMG, Nissan and then, a Volvo on the grid.

If it does die, still plenty of race series in Australia. S5000 might really pick up. TCR could get more manufacturer involvement. Plus, more driver's are looking to join. GT4 is on the VASC support bill. Both TA2 Series look good. Me, personally, TCM is like best of both worlds. Star drivers in star cars.

Supercars could very well be dead after 2021. I don't really know how it's going to survive without Holden on the grid. No other manufacturers will bother joining as it's a niche series compared to the likes of TCR and GT3. They couldn't justify running in the competition.

Not sure how much weight you put behind this. But apparently they are trying to get the Camaro happen.

If it does go through. Less than a year to develop it isn't exactly ideal.

Last edited:
My quick take on what I saw yesterday at The Bend.

Holdens were more stable in the rear. Especially noticeable when I was watching the turn 1 to 3 complex.

The Erebus cars are LOUD and sound terrible.

The Plus Fitness and MSR/YellowCover cars have the two least inspiring liveries.

Every other car looks far better on the track than in pictures.

The Kelly Mustangs did look to be down on power (they were up shifting later than everyone else in multiple sections where power is needed)

There were more people for this test than at the TCR event.

20200218_152002.jpg

I've also done a bit of research into lap times and WD's time is the best Ford time (1:47.7437s, all of his fastest sectors where on the same lap) but Jamie Whincup did a .3 sec faster time using a different timing loop (last sector from lap 76 + sector 1 & 2 from lap 77 = 1.47.4706) to be fastest of the ones I've checked (most of the usual suspects, DJRTP, 888, Tickford, Erebus and a couple of randoms).

4.png

Back