Touring Cars 2020 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Spacegoat, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Wish Supercars would have this qualifying format every round. Makes the practice sessions a hell of a lot more interesting.

Litening1 and 05XR8 like this.
  2. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Can you tell me how it works? I haven't seen any explanations.

Spacegoat likes this.
  3. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Not seen any of the coverage today. Unless they've changed it. I'm assuming it's the same as last year. 10 minute qualifying session for the cars that finished outside the top ten. The top four of that group go through to Q2 and the top ten from that make up the shootout.

4. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Oh, I remember now. So the top 10 cars in practice 2 don't need to participate in qualifying 1. Right?

Spacegoat likes this.
  5. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Yep. Spot on. :tup:

I'm glad Mostert made it through. His times are look promising, considering how little time he's had in the car.

6. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I don't think Practice 2 is in the mix for that. I think that's Practice 3 which is coming up in a couple hours.

7. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

I'm not sure why they didn't make the third practice session the one that counted toward qualifying. The schedule is weird.

(From Speedcafe.)

FPV MIC likes this.
  8. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

It's not good when none of us that follow the sport were sure how it worked. I thought it was Practice 3 too, mainly because Skaifey didn't get all excited and do himself a mischief in the last couple of minutes of P 2.

Pete05, 05XR8 and Spacegoat like this.
  9. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

For decades I once knew exactly how the ATCC worked. In the recent Supercar era, things have been fiddled with, simply for the case of fiddling, so much, I can't tell you half of what I used to know without looking it up.

How is a casual viewer supposed to know what the hell is going on? :confused: :irked:

05XR8, FPV MIC and Spacegoat like this.
  10. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Yeah it’s the top 10 cars in practice 3 that progress to qualifying 2. My mistake.

11. magic_town

magic_town Premium

Why are the numbers on the totem in a custom design? They aren’t the same on the car like they are in Moto GP. Just makes it harder to read, and has no relevance to the drivers.

LumpiestFish likes this.
  12. Reparable

Reparable

Who would have thought all WAU needed was a decent driver and control shocks

13. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

Don't forget The Big Ginge.

05XR8, Litening1 and Spacegoat like this.
  14. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

That was a ripper of a lap from Chaz. Loved the way the car looked going through the kink before the final turn.

Spacegoat likes this.
  15. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Yeah, this one was for Sunday and previous session was for tomorrow. For some reason I kept thinking today was Saturday. :dunce: :lol:

16. 05XR8

05XR8

I have to say, I'll give Holden a pass just this one year. Driver's appear happy about having new tyres and that they have to "drive" the car. Shame it's taken so long. Anyway, it's done. Hoping the racing is good, to keep us fans enjoying this year.

17. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

So practice 2 and 3 are qualifying for the qualifying :odd:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  18. magic_town

magic_town Premium

So Chaz is up the front as usual, and Courtney is down the back as usual. Go figure :lol:
    I’m so keen for Fullwood to pick up things from Chaz and the team.

Spacegoat likes this.
  19. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/22/ryan-camaro-chassis-actually-really-simple/

From Barry Ryan:
    No Barry, the Mustangs couldn't remain untouched, it's not as simple as adjusting COG... and yes Barry, there would be a definite need for the Mustang guys to change.
    A 40mm lower roof lined car would have a definite aero advantage. That's why they wouldn't let WAU do it to the Camaro before :banghead::dunce::lol:

.... and this is without even thinking of other manufacturers :boggled:

Edit: I just noticed this: “It just means you might have a bit more lead in the roof than cars that have got a lower main hoop''.
    :odd: Proper COG would make it the other way round :lol:

20. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

What other manufacturers? Also I'm confused to why this is debated, do we know if Camaros are ever going to join? With Holden getting axed completely and GM so far not seeing a need to even be in Australia...where does this continued conversation fit in? Furthermore, why would any other manufactures really want to join the series if there is no further gain beyond trying to win in essentially a regional championship?

What do you mean proper CoG would make it the other way around? It seems to me that he's saying the balance would be done differently, between the two and thus nothing is unfair in that regard, each car would still have a way to have optimal CoG based on their design. The problem, like you said though, is the aero advantage would be massively different and that would need to be solved.

21. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

''more lead in the roof than cars that have got a lower main hoop''
    Why would you have more lead in the roof than the car with the lower main hoop? The car with the lower hoop would be the 40mm lower car, so how would putting more lead in roof of the higher car help adjust CoG?

As for the rest... Your guess is as good as mine, ask Barry or Speedcafe. I didn't write it.

Re. manufacturers: This is what this whole Gen 3 thing is supposed to be about, just like Gen 2 was, and teams are still saying there's interest from other manufacturers. That's why I mentioned it.

22. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Of course the SuperView feed is non-existent at the moment. :rolleyes:

Edit: ....and now it works.

23. 05XR8

05XR8

Good to see the #7 doing its thing.

24. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I forgot to post this:
    AEFE9A24-DB49-4893-A4AC-B84D51403CA9.jpeg

25. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

How the hell did Reynolds manage that with his car smoking so much? Insane lap. :crazy:

Top five cars covered by less than a tenth.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  26. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

The times dropped off in the second half of the shootout though. Was Reynolds dropping fluids?

Spacegoat likes this.
  27. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Didn't think of that at the time but it would explain why the last three cars weren't able to challenge Whincup's time.

28. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I'm sure if it was slippery they would have said something.

Spacegoat likes this.
  29. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

Power steering fluid

30. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

Best race for 19th I’ve ever seen, lol