2020 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 827 comments
Not seen any of the coverage today. Unless they've changed it. I'm assuming it's the same as last year. 10 minute qualifying session for the cars that finished outside the top ten. The top four of that group go through to Q2 and the top ten from that make up the shootout.
Oh, I remember now. So the top 10 cars in practice 2 don't need to participate in qualifying 1. Right?

Oh, I remember now. So the top 10 cars in practice 2 don't need to participate in qualifying 1. Right?

Yep. Spot on. 👍

I'm glad Mostert made it through. His times are look promising, considering how little time he's had in the car.

I don't think Practice 2 is in the mix for that. I think that's Practice 3 which is coming up in a couple hours.

I'm not sure why they didn't make the third practice session the one that counted toward qualifying. The schedule is weird.

(From Speedcafe.)
Both Shell V-Power Racing Team entries, both Penrite Racing entries, and Walkinshaw Andretti United’s Chaz Mostert were among the others to make the top 10 cut-off which determines who earns a bye to Part 2 of Saturday’s qualifying proceedings.

It's not good when none of us that follow the sport were sure how it worked. I thought it was Practice 3 too, mainly because Skaifey didn't get all excited and do himself a mischief in the last couple of minutes of P 2.
For decades I once knew exactly how the ATCC worked. In the recent Supercar era, things have been fiddled with, simply for the case of fiddling, so much, I can't tell you half of what I used to know without looking it up.

How is a casual viewer supposed to know what the hell is going on? :confused: :irked:

Why are the numbers on the totem in a custom design? They aren’t the same on the car like they are in Moto GP. Just makes it harder to read, and has no relevance to the drivers.

Yeah it’s the top 10 cars in practice 3 that progress to qualifying 2. My mistake.

Yeah, this one was for Sunday and previous session was for tomorrow. For some reason I kept thinking today was Saturday. :dunce: :lol:

I have to say, I'll give Holden a pass just this one year. Driver's appear happy about having new tyres and that they have to "drive" the car. Shame it's taken so long. Anyway, it's done. Hoping the racing is good, to keep us fans enjoying this year.

So Chaz is up the front as usual, and Courtney is down the back as usual. Go figure :lol:
I’m so keen for Fullwood to pick up things from Chaz and the team.

Last edited:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/22/ryan-camaro-chassis-actually-really-simple/

From Barry Ryan:
He also believes that from a competition standpoint the change could be easily accounted for, meaning cars built with the existing chassis, and specifically the Mustang, could remain untouched.

“If we’re only lowering it by 40mm, we’ve got the COG rules now, so we know how to calculate the COG,” he said.

“It just means you might have a bit more lead in the roof than cars that have got a lower main hoop but I’m sure if it, let’s say it was Camaro and Mustang, Mustang guys would probably just change all their chassis just so they can meet the new rules, but there wouldn’t be a definite need to if you can get the COG right.”
No Barry, the Mustangs couldn't remain untouched, it's not as simple as adjusting COG... and yes Barry, there would be a definite need for the Mustang guys to change.
A 40mm lower roof lined car would have a definite aero advantage. That's why they wouldn't let WAU do it to the Camaro before :banghead::dunce::lol:

.... and this is without even thinking of other manufacturers :boggled:

Edit: I just noticed this: “It just means you might have a bit more lead in the roof than cars that have got a lower main hoop''.
:odd: Proper COG would make it the other way round :lol:

Last edited:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/22/ryan-camaro-chassis-actually-really-simple/

From Barry Ryan:
No Barry, the Mustangs couldn't remain untouched, it's not as simple as adjusting COG... and yes Barry, there would be a definite need for the Mustang guys to change.
A 40mm lower roof lined car would have a definite aero advantage. That's why they wouldn't let WAU do it to the Camaro before :banghead::dunce::lol:

.... and this is without even thinking of other manufacturers :boggled:

Edit: I just noticed this: “It just means you might have a bit more lead in the roof than cars that have got a lower main hoop''.
:odd: Proper COG would make it the other way round :lol:

What other manufacturers? Also I'm confused to why this is debated, do we know if Camaros are ever going to join? With Holden getting axed completely and GM so far not seeing a need to even be in Australia...where does this continued conversation fit in? Furthermore, why would any other manufactures really want to join the series if there is no further gain beyond trying to win in essentially a regional championship?

What do you mean proper CoG would make it the other way around? It seems to me that he's saying the balance would be done differently, between the two and thus nothing is unfair in that regard, each car would still have a way to have optimal CoG based on their design. The problem, like you said though, is the aero advantage would be massively different and that would need to be solved.

What other manufacturers? Also I'm confused to why this is debated, do we know if Camaros are ever going to join? With Holden getting axed completely and GM so far not seeing a need to even be in Australia...where does this continued conversation fit in? Furthermore, why would any other manufactures really want to join the series if there is no further gain beyond trying to win in essentially a regional championship?

What do you mean proper CoG would make it the other way around? It seems to me that he's saying the balance would be done differently, between the two and thus nothing is unfair in that regard, each car would still have a way to have optimal CoG based on their design. The problem, like you said though, is the aero advantage would be massively different and that would need to be solved.
''more lead in the roof than cars that have got a lower main hoop''
Why would you have more lead in the roof than the car with the lower main hoop? The car with the lower hoop would be the 40mm lower car, so how would putting more lead in roof of the higher car help adjust CoG?

As for the rest... Your guess is as good as mine, ask Barry or Speedcafe. I didn't write it.

Re. manufacturers: This is what this whole Gen 3 thing is supposed to be about, just like Gen 2 was, and teams are still saying there's interest from other manufacturers. That's why I mentioned it.

Last edited:
I forgot to post this:
AEFE9A24-DB49-4893-A4AC-B84D51403CA9.jpeg

How the hell did Reynolds manage that with his car smoking so much? Insane lap. :crazy:

Top five cars covered by less than a tenth.

Last edited:
The times dropped off in the second half of the shootout though. Was Reynolds dropping fluids?

Didn't think of that at the time but it would explain why the last three cars weren't able to challenge Whincup's time.

Back