2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
So now I’m driving P2 and we had lost a lot of time fighting over nothing, which meant P1 in the McLaren was long gone by now. From here on 'till the end I slowly extended the gap and finished in P2 for a first ever three digit score! 101 points in the bag!
I saw you had a good score, congratulations; and you set the bar for where I wanted to finish so I could stay ahead of you on the friends ranking.

18:20 slot. (10th or higher to beat Seth.)
What a nightmare. I could only manage an 8.5 in qualy and it put me 10th. However I underestimate how cold the tyres would be and skate off at turn 2. I don't bin it but loose places. Then I am barged back to DFL. Time to get on it. I pass a couple of people and then line up a Spaniard into the hairpin. He swings under and across the grass if his 0.5 second penalty is anything to go by. However he straightens up and pushes me into the wall. I recover without spinning. However another Brit is now on his tail onto the straight and is promptly shoved into the barrier multiple times when he tries the pass. I now know his game. I eventually get back onto his tail. I try the punt at turn 1 but the braking isn't heavy enough and it is absorbed. However I wait for the hairpin and he sails into the barrier. The car didn't like this and promptly spins in the double left putting me last but 1. That's where I stay with the car spinning every few laps or so. Cross the line 16th.
Us Brits double team the calling out of the Spanaird. He says it is karma. But we did nothing to him before he ruined our races. I reported him which is as useless as me collecting FIA points.
I decide to go again.

19:40 slot. (6th or higher to beat Seth.)
A much better race. I qualified 7th on a very tight grid. 1st to 14th were within a second of each other. I was only 0.275 off pole and was 7th. Might be a good race then. Taking my lesson from the last race I decided to take a comfort dab of brake into turn 2 to keep me consistent. Once the opening laps were out of the way I found myself 5th and in the battle for 2nd. However a few laps later my brake into turn 2 must have been a bit too hard and I did a 4 wheel drift onto the grass. This promptly sent me around. Thankfully those behind were far enough back I could pull away from them again. I was on the back of a French Jag and decided to bump draft to close onto the Beetle ahead. I mistimed it and he went wide in turn 1. However he seemed to overdramatise the whole thing and go into the barrier. He could have easily made the corner. I slowed to let him back past regardless. Should I have? This cost me a chance at the places ahead. I got passed the Jag when he mucked up the penultimate turn and pulled away afterwards. I closed a couple of seconds on 4th but could not close enough. In the end I came home 6th. (My target.)
20210804_202846.jpg

76 points should put me 1 ahead of Seth. Good, time to leave it.
Uh... Checked the table and it says I got 75 points.
20210804_203048.jpg

What is this devilry!!!
I had better see what PD says, but at least I'm still ahead of Seth. :D

Had low expectations going into the 17:00 EMEA slot (19-car lobby with @Lost Sheltie, 'Wifi Password' and one of my Subaru teammates), considering the Scooby's power disadvantage and that I wasn't able to set a sub-1:06.5 lap in FP until very late into the entry process. However, there was potential for some interesting racing between the 'power' and 'handling' cars, which was fulfilled in part by a curious occurrence in qualifying...

17:00 Manufacturers
Cruised around on my out lap while letting the Lexus, #9 Vantage and the Jag through, then went for it in clean air. As I was circulating, I noticed on the minimap that there was a snake of about 7 or 8 cars crawling through the second sector, which reminded me a lot of the 'lottery' scenario that @Rangeraus posted about earlier. The times start popping up, and I've gone purple coming out of the same spot - fastest of these so far is a 1:06.781. I return to the control line with a 1:06.927, just 18-hundredths off Lost Sheltie and provisionally sitting in 4th. What's happening? Did the lottery catch a lot of people out?

Reset, made it around for another lap just a tenth down. Pole was snatched by the Ferrari who managed to catch the tow of a famous Mercedes driver through the final sector. First lap was just under 4 tenths off and still good enough to bag me 7th, with my teammate up in 4th.

Knew from the start that the power cars right behind - two Vipers and a second Mercedes - would eat me up for supper, but was lucky to catch the tow of Lost Sheltie's Beetle straight away to stay in front and catch up to a group of cars forming a train for 3rd place. The action kicked off at the end of Lap 4 when the #15 Mazda went over the outside kerb into Turn 9 and saved a massive slide. Lost Sheltie collected him and I went around the outside to go up into 6th and run side-by-side with the Mazda down the straight. Only problem was that the #12 Viper got an incredible tow on all three of us and used the chance to dive past the Mazda and I going into Turn 1.

Both my challengers made contact and went wide, which gave me the opportunity to try and dive back past them on the entry into Turn 2. I was committed to the inside, there was plenty of room between us and I passed the Viper without problems. Trouble was the Mazda was still on the outside and making his own attempt to sweep past the Viper as well:

20210804201951.jpg

20210804201958.jpg

As you can see, the Mazda was still in front when we entered the braking zone, but I drew level, stuck my nose in and was sure I had the job done. From some angles it looked legit enough...

20210804202019.jpg

20210804202050.jpg

...but I carry too much speed through the apex and end up colliding with the Mazda. The contact is enough to push the Mazda onto the grass and to the back of the queue... at least for now. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this, but I'll admit that it wasn't my brightest move since I didn't see until the last second that he wasn't going to back out like the Viper did.

20210804202111.jpg

While thinking about ways to make up for the contact, both Vipers slipstreamed their way past on Laps 5 and 8 respectively. In each case, I was put in the position where I could easily follow their slipstream while also defending hard from Lost Sheltie. By the half-way mark, the Mazda had forced his way back through the train on a recovery drive and was challenging me again for 7th. It only felt fair to me that he would take my slipstream and take my position, which in turn allowed me to shadow his movements and attempt to repass him down the straight. Repassing proved very tricky with the Mazda being very defensive going into Turn 1, which allowed Lost Sheltie a chance to fight again.

On Lap 19, I let Lost Sheltie have the run to see if he could attack the Mazda himself, but two laps later he clips the Turn 9 barrier and I retake 8th. In return, he gives me a bump draft which I was quick to thank him for, before falling further back and dicing with the #16 Honda. A squabble between the Mazda and #2 Viper allowed me to catch up to both of them in the last couple of laps, but in the end I could go no further than 8th, which I'm astonished to have kept hold of at approaching 61K DR and with the Vipers in the mix.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210804174931.png

Aside from the guilt I still have over the Lap 5 incident (which I later apologised to the Mazda driver for in lobby chat), I'm incredibly happy with how this race turned out. The Scooby felt solid, my lap times were very consistent throughout the entire duration, and, better still, this is the second race in a row where I've finished in the Top 10 at 60k DR. A special shout-out to my teammate, too, who after fierce battles with the Aston and #12 Viper managed to hang onto 4th despite receiving a track limits penalty along the way.

Doubt I would've enjoyed such a strong performance had there not been so many players tripping over themselves in qualifying. So, 217 points it is, and a minimum total of 891 points for the entire season thus far. Plenty more opportunities yet to bump that up with six rounds still to go...

Last edited:
Well...

Entered the 1940 slot and found myself scraping into 2nd split, along with a well known YouTuber (Kie!). Got out the pits behind him, he moved to the side, I thought thank you very much and proceeded to bang out five laps in clean air. I was stood 3rd for a very long time! Though people improved on their final runs and dropped me to 7th.

Started the race and everything was just a bit too slidey, but I was keeping position and knew that once I felt the grip I'd have the pace to chase people down. Around L3, Kie had a slow exit out the final corner, I get past and I'm hoping the Mazda behind just settles in, but he sent it into T1, things get a little messy, as I'm recovering I get pushed wide, shoved, dived, and then a wheel on the grass out the hairpin saw me go around. Went down the field where I spent the rest of the race being held up and in an occasional fight. Accidentally tapped an Aston into a half spin, I let him back past and again I gave him the spot as we crossed the line to finish

Horrible race, it couldn't be as bad again though, so for the first time this season (now I have the chance to!) I went again. Thinking my DR hit might drop me into a lower split

It did, just, and I was door #1 in with another YouTuber (BasicOllie).

There isn't a lot to say! I qualified 2nd behind Ollie with an ok lap. I knew I had loads of pace, so I went up the inside into T1 on L2, he bumped me down the straight on L3 and I was straight into the 1:06s, then on L4 I set a 1:06.775, that broke the tow and I disappeared into the (relative) distance. Had the occasional little lull that you get, and just one instance where someone nicked my fastest lap which I wanted to get back, but other than that it was a really boring 25 laps on my own! :lol:

Ferrari was amazing here, absolutely stunning

PS_App_20210804_085249.jpeg

Last edited:
FIA Gran Turismo Championship // Manufacturer Series
2021 Series - Season 2 - Round 4
Blue Moon Bay Speedway - Infield A - Gr4

Only practiced for the 15 minute FP session before the race... wasn't expecting to do real well, but also was curious what I could make of it in a challenge.

Got door #1 at 38k DR... lots of familiar names in this lobby, including @OGMowerman, as opposed to my last race, when I hardly recognized anyone. No other GT Planet or TPC friends to share the grid with, though.

Qualified 14th with three really poor laps, which weren't even close to my FP speed, which wasn't great to begin with! And behind four other Porsches that were all nose-to-tail just up from mid-pack. But was actually kind of relieved I wasn't further back. A top 10, while tough, wasn't a fantasy from there. And that's all I am really shooting for most races.

Was able to claw up to 7th place, then was kind of held up by a dirty blocker. I remembered he was, and I should have been more patient getting around him, because by the time he was done, I had lost a spot and we had lost the slipstream ahead.

But he eventually took himself out on the tricky right hander (karma) and I was able to get back up to the bumper of the guy who had gotten around me in the prior scrum. In the end, after some more ups and downs, I did end up in 7th and was really happy with that. The last lap was pretty eventful... was able to get a spot thanks to another Porsche tank slapping after the bridge, but then I was a sitting duck on the front stretch. Went side by side into the infield section, Max vs Lewis style... and he went wide without contact and while I was leaving room, so I earned that 7th place spot fair and square after getting shuffled back to 9th a few laps before.

Pocketed about 500 DR, earned another 135 FIA points, that may just come into play when it's over, and enjoyed a relatively clean race. I was even able to battle for Fastest Lap during the race, even without a tow... I was really fast in Sector 1, and went purple there a few times during the race. Just couldn't figure out that last left hander onto the oval... which is funny because in Daily Races with FF cars, I am able to claw back yards of track on people in that corner. Just can't figure out those types of turns in Gr3 cars.

8430766059487756808_11.jpg
8431329011183911432_11.jpg

8431329017628459528_11.jpg
8430766070225175048_11.jpg

(nice to see that #1 on the side... must be a reward for my win last round!)

All in all a pretty good round, and I'm off to the best start of an FIA season yet. Good luck to the other GTP'ers out there.

(whoa… noticed there the guy in a Toyota that started 20th made it up to 5th… good on ‘im. That’s quite a run up. And here I was proud of 14th to 7th!)

Last edited:
Wasn't going to run this one as I just wasn't feeling it. But I figured I only needed 86 points in a B/S lobby to earn some points, so why not.

Had door 3 and surprised myself with 9th on the grid with no slip, and bettering my FP time.

First lap was a scrappy affair and a Brazilian in a West Nissan made a mistake from 5th place and then decided to punt me into the hairpin for having the nerve to pass him as he recovered. Not even an attempt to brake:

20210804220014.jpg

I didn't crash, but lost a couple of places. He ended up crashing out on his own later in the race and came home 6th.

Kept my head down, and mostly through attrition found myself in 4th with 10 to go. I was under pressure from behind by the two guys working together to catch me and a 5 second gap came down to 1 second at the end.

Pretty happy with 4th. 114 point season best score. 1000 DR ~27.8K DR

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210804194856.jpg

This did nothing for my self esteem. Not sure what kind of voodoo you applied to make the car look like it could turn.

Congratulations. I’ll just be over here, rocking back and forth.
Hey man hold your head up. You plugged on and wrestled a solid result out of that thing. I'd trade race results with you any day after last night. You had pace and represented in your lobby well, bringing it home. We aren't all aliens.

I would hate to see how bad I looked compared to the fast guys in the Beetle. That thing definitely had potential there but i spun mine away

Last edited:
Well this was frustrating. I knew the Corvette wouldn't be the best car to have here, but I had a decent result last year when this combo came up, so I decided to try it anyway.

Slot 1: Qualified 13th and finished 14th after losing 2 spots on the last lap. I couldn't find a good braking point for T1 in the slipstream so I spent the first 1/3rd of the race bouncing in and out of the slipstream as I would catch it one lap, then mess up my lap in the slipstream, then fall out of it until the group up front started battling. Eventually I lost the pack permanently, but even then I couldn't find any consistency and succumbed to the pressure of the Aston several seconds behind me slowly reeling me in. In the end I can't blame the car though, because someone else in a Corvette finished 2nd...

Slot 2: Qualified 0.2s quicker but still started P13. At least I avoided losing a spot and finished where I started. Had a great 4-way battle with several cars including @F1Bernardo. Unfortunately I lost every single one of those battles and finished last of our 4-car train. I had no pace tonight so didn't bother going again.

I'm not expecting great things at DTG with how high the tire wear is, but I feel I'll have decent pace before tire wear kicks in.

Last edited:
Another good round for me. Managed an okay enough qualifying in clean air for a P4 start, only two tenths down on pole.

Start went well and the first lap was no problem, then on the second or third lap someone decides to muscle through into the hairpin and I let them so as to not cause a crash.

I was keeping up well with the leader the whole time although he was quick as hell, managed to overtake for P4 and I was now running in P3 chasing down P2 inch by inch. P4 was keeping about the same distance behind me. Then I managed to mess up the final corner which allowed P4 to catch me up (German fellow in a Shell-liveried AMG, I forget his name) and then we proceed to have a fantastic battle over several laps, swapping places over and over, when finally with about three laps to go he overshoots at the end of sector one and clips the grass and I immediately get a 4 second gap behind me. Unfortunately P2 is now 8s up the road due to our battle so all that's left is to bring it home safely in P3.

Looking forward to Brands now!

Been a while since I did any races. Got home in time for the last slot yesterday.

Not much practice, but figured it was worth a shot.

Door #9
Q12
P8
128 points
+400DR

Quite a messy start, but all in all, settled in to a rhythm, made two overtakes, otherwise the other positions made up were due to people up ahead crashing.
Should have had a top 5, but my mind wandered on lap 18 and I hit a wall, lost some places.

I'll take the points, since they're my first for the season, hopefully I can get back in to a good rhythm and have some good races in the upcoming weeks.

Next week may be a disaster waiting to happen, running the Atenza with tyre wear ×10. But definitely gonna try it.

Do you guys reckon there'll be another FIA series before GT7 drops?
I think it will depend on when next year GT7 releases (IF it releases next year...)

They'll either release GT7 in March/April for a 2022 season or if not they'll run the season on GTSport, and maybe have the World Finals as a combined release party for GT7 in November.

Or something else entirely, who knows :lol:

View attachment 1072184

Good result I guess but feel really disappointed. I would go again as I believe I could do much better but I can’t sit through 30 mins of that combo again! 😴:lol:

Terrible qualifying, had to abort first lap after losing the rear on the grass. Second lap played it safe to get a time on the board and then final flying lap, screwed up sector 2 and failed to improve my time. Started 12th with a poor 1:07.8 🙁

Race was going well, passed 3 cars early on to settle in 9th. It then took a dark turn when a GTR made a mistake up ahead. I went past and then on the second to last turn he purposely forced me onto the grass which really pee’d me off. I fell back to 10th and lost the slip. Next lap the GTR driver decided to plough into 2 cars in front at the first hairpin. Looked totally deliberate again. I ended up getting by them and broke the slip. I had 5 seconds to make up on an Aston in front in 6th. Went to work and closed that gap putting in consistent quick laps. Flew past the Aston on the straight expecting to then chase down the Ferrari in 4th, however, turns out the Aston wanted to play rough constantly bumped my rear at almost every corner forcing me wide each time. Just couldn’t shake him off. Final lap, I was ahead and yep, pushed me wide onto the grass to take 6th back. Left me pretty annoyed at the end to be honest. He left lobby instantly so had no chance to call him out.

Oh well. Had 3rd fastest lap and that was with no slip :lol: Gained 700DR too so pleased with that:)

edit: forgot to add that this was the first time I’ve properly experienced everyone parked up on their qualifying outlap waiting for someone to make the first move to take their draft. I personally thought it was ridiculous so just went. Laughed at everyone suddenly flooring it to get behind me. I had to abort the lap too so haha 😂
So I was to get the blame for a bad result, surely I should get some thanks for a good result..? ;)

Does anybody know who to contact in regards to my missing point?

I wish PD would do something with guys like this. I mean this was totally unacceptable. I shouldn’t have to put up with manchildren especially in FIA.

He uses a wheel, so is a proper simulator driver right?
All kidding aside. He used that race to drop his SR so he could go out and win the next race in the drop split. Where he walled the pole sitter on lap 2 because the pole sitter didnt like getting tapped and nudged by him the whole lap.

Disgraceful.

So I was to get the blame for a bad result, surely I should get some thanks for a good result..? ;)

It happened a few times to me that the score got adjusted after the race, sometimes you win 1, sometimes you lose 1 ;)
Maybe it has something to do with the number of drivers actually in the race, due to disconnections before the start...

2021 MManufacturer
Blue Moon Bay Infield A
Slot 1 A+/S Lobby
Door 19

It's been nearly 3 weeks since my last FIA race. Unfortunately I missed Redbull and caught Blue Moon.

I was happy with my non-assisted qualifying, ran 1:07.461. Which was good for Q13. Only a couple tenths separated p3 to p16i, so it was going to be a tight race.

I raced off my back foot for the first half as I fell back 4 spots. The DBR9 is a turd with a full load of fuel. Then I started to find some rhythm. Picked up 4 or so positions then it all went to hell! Hairpin craziness ensued and I ended up in the barricade.

Raced from the back for the last half. Managed to pull up a few more spots. It was a wild race. Certainly more interesting than anticipated. Finished 15th.

2021 MManufacturer
Blue Moon Bay Infield A
Slot 1 A+/S Lobby
Door 19

It's been nearly 3 weeks since my last FIA race. Unfortunately I missed Redbull and caught Blue Moon.

I was happy with my non-assisted qualifying, ran 1:07.461. Which was good for Q13. Only a couple tenths separated p3 to p16i, so it was going to be a tight race.

I raced off my back foot for the first half as I fell back 4 spots. The DBR9 is a turd with a full load of fuel. Then I started to find some rhythm. Picked up 4 or so positions then it all went to hell! Hairpin craziness ensued and I ended up in the barricade.

Raced from the back for the last half. Managed to pull up a few more spots. It was a wild race. Certainly more interesting than anticipated. Finished 15th.

Subscribed. Love your positive look on things and your enthousiasm.

Keep it going!

@Geauxgreddy you poor soul. And I thought the V12 Vantage was a turd last night :lol:

So last night for me was a mixed night

Slot 1: Terrible qualy. I started 17th. Gained some spots but I hit a stiff headwind around 12th.

Slot 2: Great qualifying. Got some draft help and was up to about 7th. Some mistakes saw me in 5th and just following a pack of lead cars up to 2nd. Then being greedy with widening the corner at the 2nd hairpin I just (I mean just) clipped the grass and it sent me spinning like a top. Fell to DFL. Finished 14th 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Slot 3: Good qualy time considering I had no slip help. Started 11th. This place must have had a Godzilla lazer cannon or something because the first few laps I just see GTR's spinning and crashing. Climbed to 6th with a pack of 4th and 5th. I was hoping these guys would work together and not allow the pack behind to catch up. I should have just went for it but I didn't, pack behind caught up to us. It got rough but no deliberate punting, despite someone had very dodgy internet connection and I was not comfortable behind him. Fell to 8th in the end but decent points.

I'm still kicking myself of what could have been in the 2nd slot. The Aston seemed for me to fall off towards the end of the race despite the low tire wear but even a 6th then I think had 25X points and would have been gravy for me, but sadly that's racing sometimes, and I only have myself to blame for that one. Only showing the 3rd slot but if you browse through my channel the other 2 slots are there.

He uses a wheel, so is a proper simulator driver right?
All kidding aside. He used that race to drop his SR so he could go out and win the next race in the drop split. Where he walled the pole sitter on lap 2 because the pole sitter didnt like getting tapped and nudged by him the whole lap.

Disgraceful.
You sure that was the same person? He finished with a blue S next to his SR after all of that...
Now THAT'S disgraceful.

Haha true! The dust has settled and i'm pleased with the result and pleased i entered sooooooooooo....thanks!! :cheers::lol:

Am i reading this right...Next weeks manu is the last Wednesday before it changes to Saturday, but there is also a weeks break until Brands? a two and a half week break between those races?

Last edited:
Just noticed that in my last 3 FIA races, I've gone up a total of 22 spots from my starting position to finishing spots! This in the Gr3 cars, which I struggle with the most (all three races in the RSR, which I chose in the Nations race, too). Hopefully means I've turned a corner, but if it's just a nice run, either way, pretty satisfying.

(Also means I should get my qualifying game up to scratch, and I'd move up in the rankings even more!)

I typically enjoy DTG races, too, and am hoping for a decent race there next week, in the Gr4 Cayman as well. Would be great to keep up the momentum in this season, which has been my best yet.

Haha true! The dust has settled and i'm pleased with the result and pleased i entered sooooooooooo....thanks!! :cheers::lol:

A, i reading this right...Next weeks manu is the last Wednesday before it changes to Saturday, but there is also a weeks break until Brands? a two and a half week break between those races?
I told you! The Vette is a fun one to muscle around that track, I kind of wish I had chosen it again on my Alt so that I could have taken another spin in it. Good work.

Last edited:

A, i reading this right...Next weeks manu is the last Wednesday before it changes to Saturday, but there is also a weeks break until Brands? a two and a half week break?
It's a two and a half week break between rounds 5 and 6 of Manufacturers, but there's a Nations race in there. There aren't any races in the week of 16th August apart from a Toyota Cup race on Sunday 22nd. I'm guessing that's the week that they will air the World Series Showdown that was recorded in the last break in the calendar.

Weds 11th - Manufacturers
Sat 14th - Nations
Sunday 22nd - Toyota Cup
Weds 25th - Nations
Sat 27th - Manufacturers

I told you! The Vette is a fun one to muscle around that track, I kind of wish I had chosen it again on my Alt so that I could have taken another spin in it. Good work.
Wish it would've been as kind to me. It felt like a Gr.1 car the way it felt like it lost downforce in the slipstream. I could never get braking and turn-in points consistently right for any of the corners in Sector 1.

I am looking forward to hustling it around Tsukuba though. Last time that combo came up, most of the Corvette drivers skipped it, I guess because they assumed it wouldn't be a great round for the car, but I had a great result with it, and it was quite fun to drive around that tiny track.

Wish it would've been as kind to me. It felt like a Gr.1 car the way it felt like it lost downforce in the slipstream. I could never get braking and turn-in points consistently right for any of the corners in Sector 1.

I am looking forward to hustling it around Tsukuba though. Last time that combo came up, most of the Corvette drivers skipped it, I guess because they assumed it wouldn't be a great round for the car, but I had a great result with it, and it was quite fun to drive around that tiny track.
I was going to skip it too as i assumed it would be hopeless round a tight 'handling track' like that.

Back