2021 Le Mans 24 Hours: Streams, Links, and DiscussionSports Cars 

• Thread starter Famine
  • 181 comments
The race is available to watch on demand if you have the Eurosport player. I expect the full race to show up on YouTube on the official Le Mans page at some point. That will have the WEC team commentating. And Radio Le Mans have put their commentary up in one hour segments. That gives you three commentary choices. Pro tip. Don't choose Eurosport commentary.

Maybe cause you need a 2000GT and/or LFA first.:lol: No but I get it, they probably don't. That makes me think, is there a rule that you need to build more than 1 though?

And does Glickenhaus even have customer cars? Aren't they doing the same thing basically? 1 car if that?

I'm not convinced that if I offered Toyota a crap load of money to buy a GR010 for personal use they'd have a car to offer me, nor Alpine.
The Prototype ran last year before the 24

toy1.jpg

The Concept was also shown

toy2.jpg

and testing undergoing

toy3.jpg

And does Glickenhaus even have customer cars? Aren't they doing the same thing basically? 1 car if that?
Glickenhaus already sold 60 cars up to June

Prototype was driven by German mag SportAuto back in June back to back with the race car

glick1.JPG
glick2.JPG

glick4.JPG

glick3.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe cause you need a 2000GT and/or LFA first.:lol: No but I get it, they probably don't. That makes me think, is there a rule that you need to build more than 1 though?

SCG has plans to build a road-legal 007S car. Their dealer network is already accepting orders.
Glickenhaus SCG 007S
  • 1400HP, 2800 LBS (wet), Limited to 24 Exclusive Builds
  • Three-Seater, Central Driving Position with Two Rear Passengers.
  • Aero to LMH standards
  • Fully US road legal (UK/SVA, Euro/TUF, Middle East and Japanese Road Legal a Strong Possibility)
  • Able to drive up to the track, do 100 laps and drive home on road tires. Once you reach the track you can also lower the suspension, use onboard air jacks to mount track only wheels and tires and access track only adjustable ABS and TC. (Road car fitted with road TC/ABS/ESC)
  • Delivery two years from locking 24 orders.
  • Available in US through HK Motorcars starting at $2.5m.

Last edited:
Surprising! Mind I wasn't trying to speak too negatively about them (as easy as it is) I genuinely wasn't sure. Not sure how the news escaped me.

Wait maybe I'm not following closely enough but what's wrong with Toyota's hypercar? Seems right to me.
To me, it looks like a prototype masquerading as a "hypercar". Not unlike how the TS020 and Nissan R390 were technically road-going GT cars.

and testing undergoing

.. possibly not anymore ...

That makes me think, is there a rule that you need to build more than 1 though
There's no homologation requirement, but the I think it's fair to say the idea of street legal machines being raced in the top class at Le Mans is what got a lot of people excited about LMH.

Last edited:
There's no homologation requirement
Well... not of the car at any rate...

FIA Hypercar Regulations
5.2.2.2 Engine of the make:
The engine of the make is a series engine. that meets the following conditions:
• At least 25 identical engines identical to the ones destined for a series production car homologated for road use equipped with this engine must have been produced;
• At least 25 identical series production car homologated for road use equipped with this engine are produced by the end of the year of the first season this engine is competing in.
• At least 100 identical series production car homologated for road use equipped with this engine are produced by the end of the year of the second season this engine is competing in.
• The series engine is homologated with FIA/ACO.
• One complete engine is deposited with the FIA/ACO
So I guess we can look forward to 25 Toyotas and 25 Glickenhauses by December 31st each using the LMH car's engine - and 100 by 31st December 2022...

So I guess we can look forward to 25 Toyotas and 25 Glickenhauses by December 31st each using the LMH car's engine - and 100 by 31st December 2022...
I'll confess interpreting the regs seems like a minefield, from the same document:

19.1 In order to become eligible for Le Mans Hypercar homologation a minimum of 20 original cars must be manufactured and road homologated (ECE, DoT or equivalent) over 2 years starting from the 1st race in which it will compete.

Which I didn't think was the case...

And, also, 5.2.2.2 is pre-faced by 5.2.1...

The engine must be:
 either a bespoke engine,  or based on an “engine of the make”

and the "Bespoke engine" requirements don't include the requirements of 5.2.2.2

So perhaps they're all entering with a 'bespoke' engine? But even then, Article 19 says 20 cars ... ?

I imagine Toyota Industries' forklifts to be getting some pretty spicy engines sometime soon then.

How to win LMP2 once and win it like 10 times in total? Have a name like Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen. When enough isn’t enough.

How to win LMP2 once and win it like 10 times in total? Have a name like Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen. When enough isn’t enough.
I mean, he’s royalty, they always have stupidly high number of names :)

Just one remark regarding the flag man incident at the very end: maybe here, maybe somewhere else, can't remember, I read that 2021 might be the last year where we saw the checkered flag waved directly at the finish line. I think the general notion is incorrect on this one. This is something I'd love to see preserved but I agree here with Robin Frijns putting the blame on Toyota and ACO. It was very clear that the LMP2 battle is raging, in such situations there's shouldn't be anything to hinder the battle, especially not photo ops, that's idiotic and downright dangerous, life-threatening as we could clearly see it.

Frijns “Could See” Wild Finish Coming

Frijns noted that he had observed the two Toyota GR010 Hybrids exiting the pits at the same time with three laps to go, which meant he could anticipate how the LMP2 race would end.

On the final lap, Blomqvist tore into the Dutchman’s lead and was on his tail after exiting the Porsche Curves for the final time. At the Ford Chicane, traffic backed up by the Toyotas’ staged finish caused a wild end to the LMP2 battle.

“I knew exactly what was going to happen: they wanted to have their photo finish,” said Frijns.

“All the guys they overtook didn’t want to overtake back because they didn’t want to do an extra lap. I could see it coming.

“I was there behind them for three or four seconds, struggling for pace and struggling to find every tenth I could find.

“And I saw, heading into the last sector, Blomqvist was already 1.2 seconds behind and people were slowing down. What do you do?

“The P2 out of the last corner slowed down, so I turned right and kissed the car on the right. He didn’t expect it and I’m definitely not blaming him for it.

“The rear was sliding away a bit, and then the next thing I see is the checkered flag man in front of me, so I turned hard left again.”

Frijns narrowly avoided the on-track attendant waving the checkered flag. He later suggested that changes to the race-end procedure should be considered if cars are still battling behind a staged finish.

“I fully support the idea that the checkered flag guy is on the finish line because it’s tradition and it looks good for pictures,” he said.

“I’m not saying it needs to be banned next year. But they need to consider if someone is still fighting for P1 or podium positions behind, to speed up or let them go or whatever.

“But don’t drive 80 km/h over the finish line when you have people fighting behind you.”

Always wondered about those photo ops. This was bound to happen at some point. Luckily no one was injured. Toyota should have been more aware of what was going on and picked up the pace or aborted the photo op.

Last edited:
Always wondered about those photo ops. This was bound to happen at some point. Luckily no one was injured. Toyota should have been more aware of what was going on and picked up the pace or aborted the photo op.
Or just not bothered with one at all. Does Le Mans even make the back pages anymore?

I'm starting to lose track of who we've got.

2023 I'm thinking of taking the trip to Le Mans.
Same here. I’ve never been to any 24h race, Le Mans or otherwise but already told my wife that it’s gonna be the place to be in June 2023.

Just one more thought about the whole debacle at the end: apart from the Frijns interview I linked above everybody is suspiciously quiet about the issue which is rather disturbing. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that there should be hefty penalties. I would keep the finishing order as both Toyotas did a great job finishing - obviously they didn't really have any true competition but as we've seen in 2016 or this year with the #41, you actually need to finish the race and finish they did. So, keeping the finishing order is OK in my book but due to the staged photo finish that clearly caused a very-very near miss, I would take away the championship points both from the team and from the drivers, potentially with a hefty monetary penalty. Also, given that race control allowed this to happen, I'd also give a monetary penalty to Le Mans itself.

Maybe its to do with them wanting to take legal action over IMSA if they aren't allowed to race there. I think to race in both Weathertech and Michelin Pilot you have to be from a manufacturer that produces a certain amount a vehicles, 2500 or something. Its why you don't see the likes of KTM in GT4 there.

Back