2021 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,202 comments
Just throwing this out here, but guys like McDowell and Almirola don't deserve playoff spots; the win and your in scenario is the most broken part of this format imo. It should be whoever scores enough points to make the top-12 get in.
They wanted to reward drivers who were consistently running up front and those who are winning. The entire playoff system as a whole is the most broken part of this format.

Just throwing this out here, but guys like Mctowell and Bacon boy don't deserve playoff spots; the win and your in scenario is the most broken part of this format imo. It should be whoever scores enough points to make the top-12 get in.
I don't disagree but it is possible Almirola gets bumped out. It's a long shot but theoretically if there is a new winner who is higher in the points than him like Buescher, DiBenedetto, Chastain, Suarez etc that would bump him out. Win and you're in isn't necessarily accurate. Almirola is 23rd in the regular standings even after the win. Not likely to not make it but it's possible.

They wanted to reward drivers who were consistently running up front and those who are winning. The entire playoff system as a whole is the most broken part of this format.
And I understand that, but why reward mediocrity? They MIGHT go far in the playoffs, but given their equipment and performances this year it's not likely. The Chase should be cut back down to 12 drivers and the only way for drivers to make the post season is through sheer consistency. Like how it used to be in my opinion. Mr.Bacon just doesn't deserve to run for a chip ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
And I understand that, but why reward mediocrity? They MIGHT go far in the playoffs, but given their equipment and performances this year it's not likely. The Chase should be cut back down to 12 drivers and the only way for drivers to make the post season is through sheer consistency. Like how it used to be in my opinion. Almirola just doesn't deserve to run for a chip ¯\(ツ)
Because NASCAR wants to avoid having a situation occurring as it did in 1996 and 2003, where a driver who won a couple of times (96) or a driver who won once (2003) won a title over a driver with significantly more wins. The Chase shouldn't exist period and the new format does not prevent what happened in 2015 (where Kyle Busch should not have been eligible for the championship as he did not compete in all of the races) nor does it prevent a hypothetical scenario where a driver could win the first 35 races, finish 2nd in the finale, and lose the championship.

Looks like this might be interesting.

Bringing back the old school? :lol:

As for people asking why McDowell or Almirola deserve to be in the Chase, I ask, why not? Not like they are going to win. With the current system, Joey Logano’s 6th place in the standings is as far back a driver was going into the first race of the Chase. And only besides Kyle’s 2015 season, nobody who’s won has been ranked further than 9th entering the Chase, when Tony Stewart won in 2011.

*I want to thank racing-reference.com for all the very helpful results and stats for this post.

Just throwing this out here, but guys like McDowell and Almirola boy don't deserve playoff spots; the win and your in scenario is the most broken part of this format imo. It should be whoever scores enough points to make the top-12 get in.
I don't see how they're any less deserving than someone finishing 16th in points without a win getting in. If anything those 2 are more deserving considering they actually accomplished something worth mentioning, even if it was by simply being in the right place at the right time like McDowell.

I don't mind the Chase, it is makes the final months of the season much more interesting than a driver running away in the points & locking up the championship in September/October. I do think Nascar had it right with the earlier chase formats, 16 drivers with 10 races to decide. No cutoffs/eliminations or the 1 race decides it all crap.

I don't see how they're any less deserving than someone finishing 16th in points without a win getting in. If anything those 2 are more deserving considering they actually accomplished something worth mentioning, even if it was by simply being in the right place at the right time like McDowell.
And I'm not saying those who are ahead of them in points are necessarily more deserving. I just feel like drivers who are having bad seasons shouldn't be awarded a chase spot because of an asspull win. It's just not legitimate to me.

Last edited:
Almirola is a close second behind Bubba as the worst driver out there. 3 career wins.....
2 race shortened and the other an OT win after the entire field wrecked. If I had to put the five worst drivers out there, it would be Bubba, Almirola, the Prince Chase, Stenhouse and Dillon.

He is to be addressed Prince Elliott! Your disrespect to the topic's glorious favorite is unfathomable!

Chase Elliott "Prince Edition" diecast just arrived! For every time he wins it all, I will buy one... (Hopefully I'll wind up with seven of them!)
20210725_222736.jpg

Last edited:
That reminds me, I never posted the diecast I got for William Byrons first win last year. Came about a month ago.
6F9EAD11-D37E-44B5-B9F2-2FD99B10435C.jpeg

Last edited:
Racehub having a video game special and then showing close to no footage of the new game is annoying and kind of a dick move. Damn.

The eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series is having it’s all-star race tonight. Next Gen cars at Nashville Superspeedway.

So let me get this straight dallara will be building the chassis' and Five Star Bodies will be building the body panels? Is that correct?

So let me get this straight dallara will be building the chassis' and Five Star Bodies will be building the body panels? Is that correct?
Dallara designed the chassis, but Technique Chassis will build them.

Last edited:
So with all the parts coming from different vendors where will the cars all be put together? The race shops?
Correct. The teams will receive the parts from the vendors and assemble them at their shops.

Correct. The teams will receive the parts from the vendors and assemble them at their shops.
I think you’ll see it how IndyCar is. You’ll get the spec parts, but it’s how they are installed will be where some creativity comes. Teams will find places to massage some weight and whatever advantage could be found.

I’d forgotten they where going with the transaxle. I know X-trac has been making gearboxes that hugely reliable for decades, but do wonder if that’ll be weakpoint early on.

While I'd rather just have it stay where it is now, right behind the front tire is preferable to where it was for the All-Star race, which I felt kind of hid the number.

In other news, while he doesn't exactly say he's cutting down to 2 cars, Rick Ware says his goal is to have 2 strong cars next year. Granted I don't see them suddenly being anything other than a backmarker, especially with Cody as one of the drivers, the fact he seems to finally be getting serious is a good sign.

Is there a reason all those contingency sponsor stickers behind the front wheel have vanished over the years? Bring all those bad boys back and there would be no need for the change.

Is there a reason all those contingency sponsor stickers behind the front wheel have vanished over the years? Bring all those bad boys back and there would be no need for the change.
I like the lack of stickers, looks much cleaner.

Back