• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 416 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Amid the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic and a handful of other issues, the National Football League managed to pull a complete season (minus the Preseason). Even with no fans or limited fans in the stands, we all got to see the many stars of the NFL play the great game of [gridiron] football. Some teams excelled. Some others fell apart. In the end, we all had to look up at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from down South, as they won Super Bowl LV in their house. Teams that stumbled either have to rebuild or deal with being down in the dumps- like my beloved Houston Texans.

GTPlaneteers, welcome to the thread of the 2021 NFL season! Whatever your favorite team(s) is/are, feel free to discuss and and all NFL news and notes here. Everything from offseason moves to the final second of Super Bowl LVI is fair game to discuss here.

If you need a reminder of teams that excelled last year, here is last season's Playoff teams:

(! = Playoff team, !! = Division winner, !!! = home field advantage)

--- 2020: Final AFC Standings ---
AFC EAST: Buffalo!! (13-3), MIA (10-6), NE (7-9), NYJ (2-14)
AFC NORTH: Pittsburgh!! (12-4), BAL! and CLE! (11-5 each), CIN (4-11-1)
AFC SOUTH: Tennessee!! and Indianapolis! (11-5 each), HOU (4-12), JAX (1-15)
AFC WEST: Kansas City!!! (14-2), LV (8-8), LAC (7-9), DEN (5-11)

--- 2020: Final NFC Standings ---
NFC EAST: Washington!! (7-9), NYG and DAL (6-10), PHI (4-11-1)
NFC NORTH: Green Bay!!! (13-3), CHI! (8-8), MIN (7-9), DET (5-11)
NFC SOUTH: New Orleans!! (12-4), TB! (11-5), CAR (5-11), ATL (4-12)
NFC WEST: Seattle!! (12-4), LAR! (10-6), ARI (8-8), SF (6-10)

Could any of the Playoff teams from last season keep up their stellar form for 2021? We shall see.

So welcome to the new season's thread! I wanted to open this thread back on this past Sunday or this past Monday; but thanks to this unusual Winter storm that has impacted Texas this week, I was delayed in starting this thread. No worries as it is now here. So let's talk NFL in 2021!

Last edited:
Word has it the Indianapolis Colts landed Carson Wentz. So the Philadelphia Eagles will reportedly ship off C. Wentz to the Colts. So maybe this will work well for Wentz. Then maybe... it will not. We shall see...

It is also reported that the Jacksonville Jaguars will go from black to teal as their primary team color.

[OMISSION] I also heard JJ Watt may consider joining the Cleveland Browns. The ex-Texan may be playing against his brothers twice a season, since Cleveland and Pittsburgh are both AFC North teams if this holds.

Last edited:
It's been rumored the Carolina Panthers might pick up the Houston Texans' QB DeShaun Watson and maybe give three players or three draft picks in return. Whatever team trades for Watson, both better get some good value in return. In other words... don't ship off JaMarcus Russell and a couple of tomato cans in return (does J. Russell count as a tomato can?).

Also on the potential trading block is Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger. They say, "...for now, Roethlisberger is still our QB." Note I underlined "for now." Possible trade locations for him could be Chicago or even Denver. Roethlisberger is not some washed-up scrub. After all, he's won the Super Bowl before (two time winner and went to a third, I think). It would be interesting to see who takes him in if indeed Big Ben gets shipped off to another team.

It's been rumored the Carolina Panthers might pick up the Houston Texans' QB DeShaun Watson and maybe give three players or three draft picks in return.

Would love to see DeShaun in a Panthers jersey. I believe he's from Carolina? So it would be fitting. Having said that, I'm concerned about the rumored price tag. The Panthers roster has a lot of holes to fill and giving away a bunch of future picks might not be ideal at this point. Interesting to see how this off-season plays out.

Well, DeShaun Watson played his college football at Clemson University, so he'd be closer to where he played in college, even though Clemson is in SOUTH Carolina while the Panthers are in North Carolina. I don't know... Carolina might be a good fit for D. Watson.

Former (I guess...) Houston Texans QB DeShaun Watson has narrowed down his short list to teams he would like to be traded to or to play for. His short list includes the New York Jets, the Miami Dolphins, or the Carolina Panthers. Whichever of these teams better have some quality players to get in return for D. Watson. I'm glad DeShaun Watson wouldn't want to play for another AFC South team, because that would mean we'd play against him twice a season. I'm sure he'd like nothing more than to take it to the Texans after his disgust with the Texans' organization.

As a Saints fan, I'd prefer Watson to not join the NFC South lol

Hopefully we get some news regarding Brees as well, not sure if he can go on another year.

DeShaun Watson has talked about where he would want to be traded to. Now, J.J. Watt mentioned places he'd like to end up. JJ Watt is considering any of the following: the Green Bay Packers, the Buffalo Bills, or the Tennessee Titans. I'd hate for the Texans to have to take on J.J. Watt twice a season if JJ Watt signs with the Tennessee Titans. Going with Green Bay keeps J.J. Watt closer to home.

This is still a terrible shame for Houston sports to have no DeShaun Watson or J.J. Watt. Then too, we're not known as a highly successful sports city anyways. Just more "Meh" mood for us Houstonians.

Russell Wilson has been fairly active in regards to his unrest with the Seattle Seahawks. Despite this, though, he is not requesting a trade. R. Wilson says he only will accept a trade if it is to any of the following teams: Las Vegas Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears, or New Orleans Saints. The best pick in R. Wilson's mind would be to go with the Chicago Bears. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

R. Wilson says he only will accept a trade if it is to any of the following teams: Las Vegas Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears, or New Orleans Saints.

@Stavingo. Can I just say that as a Panthers fan, I'm happy for Wilson to go anywhere but the NFC South. :lol: I'd be seriously surprised to see Seattle part ways with him. Even if one of those teams named steps up to the table.

A few more Houston Texans were let go. Zach Martin (G) and Duke Johnson were let go, freeing up the Texans $10M USD. The Texans are looking a lot more different once all the individual pieces are moved. The team had better go gang busters in the 2021 NFL Draft and in the trade market.

Tree'd.

J.J. Watt is now an Arizona Cardinal. It almost seems like justice after the Texans stupidly shipped off DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona. It is a two-year deal worth about $31M USD. Best of luck to JJ Watt with his new team.

That's a real surprise. Thought for sure J.J would go the Steelers to join his brother.

Really, a lot of people were surprised of the move J.J. Watt took. Then too, it shows how rock star he is to carve his own path and make his own choice. He'll improve ANY team's defense.

I guess he either saw something absolutely no one saw on the Cardinals, or he simply doesn't want a ring.

Now, Cardinals got better? Yeah.
Like, championship-contenders-level? Nope. Not at all.

Last edited:
Big Ben's sticking with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ben Roethlisberger is now locked in for the 2021 NFL season.

The Washington {Football Team} has let go of QB Alex Smith. So if your favorite NFL team could use a quarterback, Alex Smith is on the market! This move will save Washington about $14.9M USD in salary cap room.

@Stavingo. Can I just say that as a Panthers fan, I'm happy for Wilson to go anywhere but the NFC South. :lol: I'd be seriously surprised to see Seattle part ways with him. Even if one of those teams named steps up to the table.

All the QB's wanna come join the NFC South :lol:

Honestly with Saints working enough salary cap miracles, I can't see them acquiring Wilson until next offseason (if he's still not happy with Seattle at least)

Eat a W time baby for this season at least haha

Last edited:
The Dallas Cowboys finally ironed out a deal for Dak Prescott. It's a four-year deal worth $160M USD. So Big D has their QB locked in.

A few signings by the Texans lately... the Houston Texans picked up RB Mark Ingram II a few days ago. We also signed LB/RLB Christian Kirksey. I'm pretty cool with the Mark Ingram signing. I though Ingram was a solid running back in college. Us Texans fans. however, only care about what will be done with QB DeShaun Watson.

Let's be honest- Drew Brees is an all-time great. I wish my fellow Capricorn (born on the same calendar day as me- January 15) the best in his retirement.

You know what? Why not? Surely in the mind of New Orleans, they want to be the ones to be boss in the NFC South; NOT Tampa Bay. You just have to wonder who would have to ship off to get DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson or anybody. Or maybe could New Orleans get a solid QB from college in the 2021 NFL Draft? The Saints will need a QB to move them forward into the future.

Now then, do the Saints go all in and try to get either Deshaun Watson or Russell Wilson?

Easy.

Test drive Winston this upcoming season and gauge competitiveness.

If he pulls another 30 for 30 then we go after Wilson in the next offseason 👍

Easy.

Test drive Winston this upcoming season and gauge competitiveness.

If he pulls another 30 for 30 then we go after Wilson in the next offseason 👍

I heard this morning that's basically what their intentions are. Although you could also see the same two quarterback system with Taysom Hill getting multiple snaps per game.

I heard this morning that's basically what their intentions are. Although you could also see the same two quarterback system with Taysom Hill getting multiple snaps per game.

I think Jameis will play better then expected, sure he's gonna have a more turnovers but I can see him topping 30 if we keep the pieces together.

Unless Taysom has an amazing training camp, I can't see him being more then a gadget player unfortunately.

Houston Texans QB DeShaun Watson is apparently being probed for sexual misconduct. Accounts suggest he "took things a bit too far" when visiting a masseuse. To me, this almost sounds like a ploy to help expedite and enhance the process of trying to get out of Houston. There were also rumors that DeShaun Watson wanted to play for the San Francisco 49ers or the Denver Broncos. If he goes to Denver, I'm sure one specific GTPlaneteer could be fairly happy in Denver taking in our D. Watson.

Want more NFL coverage on the ESPN/ABC networks? You got it! The NFL and Disney have landed a 10-year deal starting in 2023. They'll air the Super Bowl on ABC in 2026. Thursday Night Football will exclusively be on Amazon. If you follow the NHL thread, I mentioned ESPN/ABC with a deal to show NHL games. Now they've taken their broadcasting to football.

Back