2022/23 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 434 comments
Balon D'or nominees were announced earlier, 30 men and 20 women, half the men's list is made up of Premier League players. No Messi, he won it last year!

Balon D'or nominees were announced earlier, 30 men and 20 women, half the men's list is made up of Premier League players. No Messi, he won it last year!

Ah but he doesnt play for Barca anymore.

Oh, sorry, did I imply that the award is somehow fixed.

QPR's goalkeeper Seny Dieng scores an injury time equaliser against Sunderland, with the game ending 2-2 after Sunderland were two up :lol:

Brentford 4-0 to the good against Man U after roughly half an hour... the latter's supporters only just realising there's still fresh depths to plumb at the bottom of the barrel. :P

Brentford 4 Man Utd 0. And they are not worth 0. And it's only half time.

Last edited:
I can't feel pity for United fans, but if I could then this would be the time.

Serious question, but how is Scott McTominay a professional footballer?

-

As for Man Utd's sponsors, TeamViewer - their players certainly aren't making that job easy!!

Last edited:
Two games gone, no points, and rock bottom of the Premier League on -5 goal difference.

'Member my post in April? I 'member.

So uh, is anyone going to point out just how pathetic each of those goals was conceded? You can't say "Defensive Error", because that makes it sound like a worthy attempt was made and failed. How long is the transfer window open for and can they afford a whole new back line and goalkeeper?

Aston Villa 2-1 Everton
Man City 4-0 Bournemouth
Arsenal 4-2 Leicester
Brentford 4-0 Man United
Southampton 2-2 Leeds
Wolves 0-0 Fulham
Brighton 0-0 Newcastle

I'm not going to comment on Man United right now.

Good win for Forest versus West Ham. Important to get early points on the board with such a massive change of players.

Forest 1-0 West Ham
Chelsea 2-2 Spurs

Going to start with the Chelsea game which has just finished, Chelsea took the lead twice through a great strike from Koulibaly and and nicely worked goal finished off by Reece James, Spurs equalized twice through Hojbjerg and a very late equalizer from Kane, it got very heated between the managers as Conte celebrated in front of Tuchel for the Hojbjerg goal and the pair had to be separated, for the James goal Tuchel ran down the touchline celebrating (past Conte) and at the final whistle they shook hands but Tuchel wouldn't let go, and cue mayhem again! Both managers sent off after the final whistle.

Forest picked up a fantastic and deserved first win, Awonyi got a lucky goal but it didn't matter how it went in, Rice had a penalty saved (it was poor from him) there were two goals ruled out by VAR (right decisions IMO) and both teams had some great chances with Henderson making some great saves.

Two great games. 👍

Eric Ten Hag got the United players in for extra training today on what was supposed to be they're day off, they ran more that they did yesterday in 30 degree heat.

The most savage comment of the weekend:

"Man United fans who died in 2013 were the luckiest."

Forest 1-0 West Ham
Chelsea 2-2 Spurs

Going to start with the Chelsea game which has just finished, Chelsea took the lead twice through a great strike from Koulibaly and and nicely worked goal finished off by Reece James, Spurs equalized twice through Hojbjerg and a very late equalizer from Kane, it got very heated between the managers as Conte celebrated in front of Tuchel for the Hojbjerg goal and the pair had to be separated, for the James goal Tuchel ran down the touchline celebrating (past Conte) and at the final whistle they shook hands but Tuchel wouldn't let go, and cue mayhem again! Both managers sent off after the final whistle.

Forest picked up a fantastic and deserved first win, Awonyi got a lucky goal but it didn't matter how it went in, Rice had a penalty saved (it was poor from him) there were two goals ruled out by VAR (right decisions IMO) and both teams had some great chances with Henderson making some great saves.

Two great games. 👍

Eric Ten Hag got the United players in for extra training today on what was supposed to be they're day off, they ran more that they did yesterday in 30 degree heat.
What happens with the managers red cards? Are they both banned from the touchline for their teams next games?

Darwin Award for Núñez...

vince mcmahon sport GIF by WWE

Congratulations to Manchester City for breaking the record of winning the league the earliest in a season.

Relegation clash at Old Trafford next week, between Manchester United and Liverpool - with just two points between the 2021-2022 quadruple hopefuls and the bottom side in the league...

Liverpool 1-1 Palace.

Zaha put Palace ahead with a nice finish, Darwin Nunez was sent off on his first Liverpool start after he headbutted Anderson, Luis Diaz equalized with a fantastic solo goal four minutes later, Liverpool drop points for two successive weekends giving the advantage to City in the title race, its Man United v Liverpool on Monday.

Conte and Tuchel charged by the FA for their clash on Sunday.

Everton have rejected a bid in the region of £40 million by Chelsea for Anthony Gordon.
Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign 19 year old Inter Milan midfielder Cesare Casadei for a fee of £12.6 million plus add-ons, he has yet to make an appearance in the Inter first team!
Man City have signed left back Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht for £11 million.
West Ham set to sign defender Thilo Kehrer from PSG for around £10 million.

Everton have rejected a bid in the region of £40 million by Chelsea for Anthony Gordon.
Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign 19 year old Inter Milan midfielder Cesare Casadei for a fee of £12.6 million plus add-ons, he has yet to make an appearance in the Inter first team!
Man City have signed left back Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht for £11 million.
West Ham set to sign defender Thilo Kehrer from PSG for around £10 million.

The bid for Anthony Gordon smacks of desperation to me, after having gone for 1,000 other defenders and got nowhere (apart from Khoulabali who I do think will be a success, albeit at 31 not for long term).

Who's next for a bid... Harry Maguire? 😂

Haven't mentioned Swansea much on these threads in the past few years, tonight we were 2-0 up and cruising at home to Millwall but then scored two own goals in the last three minutes to draw 2-2, no really!

So uh, is anyone going to point out just how pathetic each of those goals was conceded? You can't say "Defensive Error", because that makes it sound like a worthy attempt was made and failed. How long is the transfer window open for and can they afford a whole new back line and goalkeeper?
Roughly two more weeks, until the window is closed. But I doubt they will make any serious signings, they reached the point of desperation, as they are naming everyone in the game. Just yesterday was Casemiro, today João Felix, wonder who's next on the list of "in talks to".

It's funny that both ManU and their fans, somehow believe that any big player (like De Jong) would want to join a trash team, that just lost their first two games of the season, that's not in the UCL, and that's full of blame shifters. The only thing ManU can offer, is being a well known team and giving a fat paycheck. Any top player who cares about his career and not about the money, just won't go there, period.

Another funny aspect of this, was that in the last winter transfer window, it was said that they wouldn't buy anyone, and would save new signings for the new coach. We can now see those new signings. :lol:

They also talked about a rebuild of the club, yet the first measure taken, was giving a guarantee that Maguire stayed captain? Which implies that he stays a starter? A player that was trash last season, and should be proving himself to be worthy of even being in the bench? Notice how this "rebuild", sees the vast majority of players that were bad last year, still be starters.

The first thing I thought when they beat Liverpool 4-0 in pre season, was that it meant nothing. And I was right. In fact, I do believe that the good start of the pre season, hindered new signings, as I'd bet that they saw the result and thought "we are good now, we don't need to sign that many players".

Now, the "Ronaldo blame game". Just stop it. The addition of one player (actually 3 last season), won't make other players terrible. A team conceding 4/5 goals a game, can't be the strikers fault. If anything, the real negative impact of Ronaldo on the team, is that he shifts the focus of the media, from the real problems, as no one is talking about how terrible certain players are, or how is it possible that a team that wants to be "high pressing", chooses a slow defender like Maguire, over a faster CB, like Varane.

Back