2022/23 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 434 comments
I know the moneyballers don't enter until next round, but there has been an FA Cup second round draw...

Accrington Stanley - Barnet/Chelmsford
Barnsley - Crewe Alexandra
Bristol Rovers - Boreham Wood
Burton Albion - Chippenham Town
Charlton Athletic - Stockport County
Curzon Ashton/Cambridge United - Grimsby Town
Dagenham & Redbridge - AFC Fylde/Gillingham
Ebbsfleet United - Fleetwood Town
Forest Green Rovers - Alvechurch
Ipswich Town - Buxton
King's Lynn Town - Stevenage
Newport County - Torquay United/Derby County
Portsmouth - MK Dons
Sheffield Wednesday - Mansfield Town
Shrewsbury Town - Peterborough United/Salford City
Solihull Moors/Hartlepool - Harrogate Town
Walsall - Carlisle United
Weymouth/AFC Wimbledon - Chesterfield
Woking/Oxford United - Exeter City
Wrexham - Farnborough

League Two Gillingham beat Brentford on penalties last night in the league cup, Bournemouth beat a sloppy Everton 4-1 in the two shocks.

Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham all out of the League cup at the third-round stage, Liverpool needed penalties to beat League One Derby.

Southampton have appointed Nathan Jones as new manager on a three-year deal, he has joined from Luton Town where they have over-achieved if anything by getting them to the Championship play-offs last year.

Last edited:
Here are this weekend's games, the last Premier League games before the World Cup.

Saturday.
Bournemouth v Everton
Liverpool v Southampton
Man City v Brentford (12.30 BT)
Newcastle v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Nottingham Forest v Crystal Palace
Tottenham v Leeds
West Ham v Leicester
Wolves v Arsenal (7.45 Sky)

Sunday.
Brighton v Aston Villa (2pm Sky)
Fulham v Man United (4.30 Sky)

Most of the games on Saturday, just like it used to be.

Carabao Cup Fourth Round Draw.

Wolves v Gillingham
Southampton v Lincoln
Blackburn v Nottingham Forest
Newcastle v Bournemouth
Man City v Liverpool
Man United v Burnley
MK Dons v Leicester
Charlton v Brighton

The games take place just a few days after the World Cup final!

Man City 1-2 Brentford
Bournemouth 3-0 Everton
Liverpool 3-1 Southampton
Forest 1-0 Palace
Spurs 4-3 Leeds
West Ham 0-2 Leicester
Newcastle 1-0 Chelsea
Wolves 0-2 Arsenal
Brighton 1-2 Villa
Fulham 1-2 United

Couple of surprise results there starting with Brentford's excellent win over Man City, Ivan Toney shrugged of his England World Cup snub to score twice and the winner was in the 90+8th minute, an off day for City and Haaland was very quiet.

Newcastle picked up a brilliant win over Chelsea who were also pretty poor, Joe Willock with a great strike in the second half and it means that Newcastle will be third at Christmas, Arsenal will be top of the table five points clear after a routine win over Wolves. Odegaard with both goals there and Julien Lopetgui was watching as he take the Wolves job next week, Bournemouth beat Everton for a second time this week. Typical crazy game between Spurs and Leeds with Leeds 3-1 up at one point, more pressure on David Moyes as West Ham suffer a third consecutive league defeat, James Milner made his 600th PL appearance during Liverpool's win.

Today's games saw Villa come from behind to beat Brighton after Brighton took the lead after 50 seconds, Danny Ings with two for Villa, Fulham v Man United just finished and United's young winger Alejandro Garnacho got a 93rd minute winner for United, Eriksen put them in front with his first goal for the club but Dan James deservedly equalized, before Garnacho got that winner with seconds remaining.

That's it for the Premier League until Boxing Day as it takes a break for the World Cup.

Ronaldo's had a combined Vladimir Putin / Prince Andrew moment rolled into one; absolutely lost the plot and had a car crash interview.

He's being forced out by a club he actively tried to leave in the summer? Pull the other one.

Ronaldo's had a combined Vladimir Putin / Prince Andrew moment rolled into one; absolutely lost the plot and had a car crash interview.

He's being forced out by a club he actively tried to leave in the summer? Pull the other one.
He's trying to get sacked. He wanted to leave but couldn't, and now isn't being played either.

He's trying to get sacked. He wanted to leave but couldn't, and now isn't being played either.
And really endearing himself and cementing his legacy with fans of a clun he apparently holds very dear.

It's extremely unprofessional from a supposedly professional's professional. Nothing lasts forever. The elite game has passed you by; get over it.

CR7 has really been destroying his legacy.

What a shame.
His legacy was already pretty much destroyed, when you see ManU fans scapegoating him for everything that's wrong with United. And when fans get offended that an ambitious player wants to leave the club to go play in UCL, doesn't help. In the end, we see people talking about his ego and entitlement, yet those who criticize his ego, have one equally as big.

It's normal a player wants to leave, the same way that if you work at McDonalds, you want to leave and work somewhere better, there's no "betrayal" in the middle.

Meanwhile, with all this mess, ManU still plays like crap (their wins are mostly scrappy wins by one goal), they have a board that refuses to buy the players they need, and a bunch of fans that look at a 2-1 win with a last minute goal by an 18 year old player agains the powerhouse Fulham and say "see, MU plays a lot better withou Ronaldo".

Anyways, if anything, this interview puts on perspective what the fans and media really think about him. As we can see, they don't even bother trying to undestand what's being discussed, and just jump into the disrespect-betrayal bandwagon. It also reinforces the idea that, there are other teams in EPL, with much lower budget, that have more up-to-date infrastructure.

But now, what matters, is that this is it, he will most likely leave United. Where will he go, no one knows, but it will surely depend on what happens in the WC. If he somehow picks up the good form, and starts bagging goals, or simply has great performances, he will be wanted by way more clubs than if he doesn't perform. Plus, a good WC for him, would also prove the point that he is not the problem for MU, and MU is the problem for him*. I'm assuming he is eager to prove that he's not finished.

*Looking at how MU play, and their low productivity in the attack, I doubt even if they had Lewa or Haaland in the front, any of them would bag more than 5 to 10 goals this season, 10 being a very optimistic number.

His legacy was already pretty much destroyed, when you see ManU fans scapegoating him for everything that's wrong with United. And when fans get offended that an ambitious player wants to leave the club to go play in UCL, doesn't help. In the end, we see people talking about his ego and entitlement, yet those who criticize his ego, have one equally as big.

It's normal a player wants to leave, the same way that if you work at McDonalds, you want to leave and work somewhere better, there's no "betrayal" in the middle.

Meanwhile, with all this mess, ManU still plays like crap (their wins are mostly scrappy wins by one goal), they have a board that refuses to buy the players they need, and a bunch of fans that look at a 2-1 win with a last minute goal by an 18 year old player agains the powerhouse Fulham and say "see, MU plays a lot better withou Ronaldo".

Anyways, if anything, this interview puts on perspective what the fans and media really think about him. As we can see, they don't even bother trying to undestand what's being discussed, and just jump into the disrespect-betrayal bandwagon. It also reinforces the idea that, there are other teams in EPL, with much lower budget, that have more up-to-date infrastructure.

But now, what matters, is that this is it, he will most likely leave United. Where will he go, no one knows, but it will surely depend on what happens in the WC. If he somehow picks up the good form, and starts bagging goals, or simply has great performances, he will be wanted by way more clubs than if he doesn't perform. Plus, a good WC for him, would also prove the point that he is not the problem for MU, and MU is the problem for him*. I'm assuming he is eager to prove that he's not finished.

*Looking at how MU play, and their low productivity in the attack, I doubt even if they had Lewa or Haaland in the front, any of them would bag more than 5 to 10 goals this season, 10 being a very optimistic number.
One thing is evident to me from that post, and that you have your head so far up Ronaldo's arse.

He said he wanted to leave in the summer because he wanted UCL football, fine...but no-one wanted him or came even close to signing him, he missed pre-season, he refused to play in a match, and now we have this absolute ****-show he has provided, the most ill-advised and poorly judged interview since Prince Andrew which has left a big stain on his reputation. And yet you still STILL think it's the club's fault and not him?!?! Your bias is off the scale!

He is done at the club, he has played his last match. that's for sure.

And you know what, I don't think a current United player has ever done that, I mean several ex-players and pundits have done but not players who are employed by the club. So I applaud that... But I'm still fuming.

One thing is evident to me from that post, and that you have your head so far up Ronaldo's arse.

He said he wanted to leave in the summer because he wanted UCL football, fine...but no-one wanted him or came even close to signing him, he missed pre-season, he refused to play in a match, and now we have this absolute ****-show he has provided, the most ill-advised and poorly judged interview since Prince Andrew which has left a big stain on his reputation. And yet you still STILL think it's the club's fault and not him?!?! Your bias is off the scale!

He is done at the club, he has played his last match. that's for sure.
How classy of you.

He wanted to leave, and everyone knew. ManU said multiple times that they didn't want him to leave. There are multiple reports that some clubs wanted him, but they either didn't want to pay a fee, or pay him such a big salary.
He apparently missed pre-season due to his daughter being in the hospital, which if it's true, it just shows everyone how much of a prick you and many sports fans are, whenever things don't go their way. If anything, you just show bias by putting the club above someone else's life, or in this case, someone's 3-month old daughter.

He refused to play in a match, maybe, maybe not, it's just hearsay at this point. Yet, even if that was the case, yes, it was wrong of him, but also yes, it makes no sense to put a player in the last 2 minutes of a game, where he will gain nothing out of it, and by barely warming up, having an increased risk of injury, 1 month prior to his last world cup. It's common knowledge that subbing on any player with just a handful of minutes to go on a match already won, is not only disrespectful to the player, but also irrational, no matter who it is. Now, we can talk football, or we can talk nonsense like you did.

Also, where did I say that it was the club's fault? Maybe, just maybe, is everyone's fault? I know, this is a very unthinkable concept, that sometimes, more than one person can be wrong. Meanwhile, only one person is receiving the criticism, nevermind all the players who leaked stuff, or those who threw season after season multiple coaches under the bus. Didn't Mourinho receive a similar treatment after criticizing something around the club and players? But sure, everything in the club is fine, how dare people say negative stuff about it.

Anyways, so much about free speech, but people hate it when something inconvenient is said. The fact people are getting offended by someone sharing his perspective on what he feels that's happening, is actually hilarious. It's even funnier that they try to know more about what he feels, than the person himself.

It's also funny, that after the first two EPL games, the media were bashing ETH. Now that same media, pretend they feel bad for ETH being in the receiving end of someone's criticism.

As for who's disrespecting who, I know who you will blame. But I can also tell you, that you disrespected me. See how hipocrisy works? See how you are fuming over someone disrespecting a club or some staff in it, yet you come here disrespect other people for no reason? Don't worry, I don't take offense from it, just wanted to point out how easy it is to disrespect someone without even realising.

In the meantime, this is great news for your team. Now your higher ups will be forced to buy players in January, unlike what was rumoured before, that there was no intent on doing so.

Have a good night and SUIIIIII ahahahah
Let's see what the Poland situation holds for all of us.

The club is called Manchester United, or Man United. Not 'ManU'. 'ManU' is what 10-year olds call it.

And the club is hopefully done with Ronaldo, just like I'm done with you, you're just a fan-boy.

The club is called Manchester United, or Man United. Not 'ManU'. 'ManU' is what 10-year olds call it.

And the club is hopefully done with Ronaldo, just like I'm done with you, you're just a fan-boy.
I always thought it was called Manure, Anyway thats how I say it. :D Guess I must be 10 again.

Just having a laugh. Bit of banter.

EDIT: probably get shot down for that comment. (Roll eyes) what the heck it was worth saying. :)

Last edited:
You know it's perfectly possible for Ronaldo to be a selfish, unprofessional jerk (in this instance; I understand he's relatively humanitarian otherwise) in calling out his past and present team-mates and current manager while still employed by the club and for Manchester United to be an absolute ****show from top to bottom thanks in no small part to the Glazers who he quite rightfully called out.

both GIF

Also compassionate leave is enshrined in UK employment law. There's no way he'd be hit with a disciplinary because his baby is in NICU.

I love that he called out the Glazers, that bit was great. But in the first part where he said he had no respect for the club or the staff was unacceptable.

They have already started taking posters of him down at Old Trafford.

This is your response to his post?

Lack of arguments, that's what it is.

Being offended by someone calling the club ManU for the sake of keeping the text easier to read/save time, is just pure gold. You probably think it was disrespectful too.

Rangers have sacked manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst, as they are currently bottom of the Scottish Premiership title battle (that's 2nd in the League to folks not familiar with Scottish football), and only 8 points clear of the also-rans.

Rangers suffered the humiliation of registering the worst-ever performance of a club in Champions League history, which no doubt helped to decide GvB's fate. However, being 9 pts adrift of Celtic is the main reason, even though we're less than half way through the season.

Rangers have sacked manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst, as they are currently bottom of the Scottish Premiership title battle (that's 2nd in the League to folks not familiar with Scottish football), and only 8 points clear of the also-rans.

Rangers suffered the humiliation of registering the worst-ever performance of a club in Champions League history, which no doubt helped to decide GvB's fate. However, being 9 pts adrift of Celtic is the main reason, even though we're less than half way through the season.
Watch out Rangers…the Dons are coming

The Glazer have put Man United up for sale!

That and Ronaldo leaving as well, what a day!

Since United are up for sale or are looking for investors, the club have been linked with every billionaire under the sun! :lol:

I love that he called out the Glazers, that bit was great. But in the first part where he said he had no respect for the club or the staff was unacceptable.

They have already started taking posters of him down at Old Trafford.
Glazers are now looking into selling. Hopefully they go and not comeback.

FA Cup Third Round Draw.

Preston v Huddersfield
Middlesbrough v Brighton
Chesterfield v West Brom
Man City v Chelsea
Charlton/Stockport v Walsall
Boreham Wood v Accrington
Tottenham v Portsmouth
Derby v Barnsley
Cardiff v Leeds
Brentford v West Ham
Bournemouth v Burnley
Coventry v Wrexham
Norwich v Blackburn
Aston Villa v Stevenage
Luton v Wigan
Oxford v Arsenal
Fleetwood v QPR
Liverpool v Wolves
Grimsby v Burton
Blackpool v Nottingham Forest
Dagenham & Redbridge/Gillingham v Leicester
Forest Green v Birmingham
Bristol City v Swansea
Hartlepool v Stoke
Hull v Fulham
Crystal Palace v Southampton
Millwall v Sheffield United
Shrewbury v Sunderland
Sheffield Wednesday v Newcastle
Man United v Everton
Reading v Watford
Ipswich v Rotherham

Ties to be played on weekend of 7th January.

Back