2022 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 415 comments
I don't know if the game will continue tonight. It's one thing for someone to get injured, another when a life is potentially on the line.
Game won't be played today if it resumes at all.

Hope he pulls through this, seeing him stand and then collapse the way he did was very unnerving. Brings back memories of what happened to Kevin Everett, who also played for Buffalo when he got injured.

This could end up being a pretty significant moment in the NFL. Guys like Tua have to think twice about taking the field again after seeing something like that.

Updates this morning say Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest on the field, CPR restored his heartbeat, but that he's still considered critical this morning, sedated and intubated while tests are run. He's alive!

Last edited:
Yesterday was a very dark day for football...

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 09-42-54 Jacksonville Jaguars en Instagram We are saddened to learn o...png

:(

Last edited:
Last edited:
Some things are bigger and more important than football. I haven't spoken on this because I didn't see what happened, but the outpouring of support is great. My thoughts and prayers are with Damar Hamlin and his family and friends.

Some doctors have been on the news discussing what may have happened, although ideas involve rare conditions, and we won't now anything until the family releases more information. Hopefully it's good information.

Apparently it's possible for the heart's rhythm to be thrown off by a blunt impact to the chest. More likely but still rare scenarios discussed were something like ball or blunt weapon impacts to the chest - a baseball, a bat, something like that. This is exceedingly rare in any sport due to the natures of sports and self-preservation, but likely rarer in football. People simply can't hit other people as bluntly as a hard ball or weapon because people are squishy. Even a shoulder hit to the chest can only transfer so much energy, but it is plausible. Then again, slipping on ice and falling on his couple-square-inch wallet was enough to break my dad's hip and that was only a couple hundred pounds, not a full-speed athlete worth of force.

Not much more has been said about why a blunt impact could lead to prolonged symptoms. That seems more like underlying issues which could'be been exacerbated by a blunt impact.

Just hope they got that kid CPR soon enough to bring him back in one piece.

When I heard the news about Hamlin, my mind immediately went back to last year and what happened to Christian Eriksen. He was a member of the Danish national team and collapsed on the pitch during the Euro championships. He also had to be resuscitated on the field. He has returned to playing again and now plays for Manchester United.

Last edited:
One news item from today:
The NFL announced they will NOT be resuming the suspended Bengals-Bills game. As a result, the Bengals have clinched the AFC North as the NFL will be going with winning pct to determine the division.

The next steps?

One of two things will happen:
1. The AFC Championship game will be held at a neutral site.
2. Both the AFC and NFC will expand to 8 teams. I have to imagine they will make either announcement by tonight.

Last edited:
When I heard the news about Hamlin, my mind immediately went back to last year and what happened to Christian Eriksen. He was a member of the Danish national team and collapsed on the pitch during the Euro championships. He also had to be resuscitated on the field. He has returned to playing again and now plays for Manchester United.

Eriksen being able to play again was pretty remarkable, but I don’t see that happening here. The cardiac event appears to be triggered by a hit to the chest. I don’t think any doctor would sign off on Hamlin playing again

With the fantastic news of Hamlin, I feel I can now comfortably comment on the other NFL updates and not feel disrespectful in complaining about one thing in particular.

With the Buffalo/Cincy game being cancelled, it has brought discussion about what to do about the playoffs. It was announced that if the Ravens beats the Bengals this Sunday and should meet in the wild card round, a COIN FLIP will decide who gets homefield advantage, despite the fact that Cincinnati was declared the winner of the division and SHOULD by all accounts be the home team, having a better winning percentage. This goes against what is already covered in the NFL Rule Book when it comes to cancelled games and playoff seeding, etc. Why make up a new rule on a whim??

It sure feels like Cincy gets the short end of the stick in so many oddball situations. Hopefully it doesn't come down to it, and the Bengals go out and win Sunday and avoid being forced to possibly play an away game with a better record.

Anyway, rant over. Hope to hear more good news for Hamlin as the weekend goes on.

AFC seeding has been set.

Kansas City will have no road games throughout the playoffs as they get the 1 seed and the bye.
Buffalo will have no true road games and they lock up the 2 seed.
Cincinnati defeats Baltimore and clinches the 3 seed.
Jacksonville defeats Tennessee and locks up the 4 seed.
Los Angeles wins the 5 seed after Baltimore's loss.
Baltimore drops to the 6 seed.
Miami wins and combined with a New England loss, grabs the 7 seed.

The Chicago Bears will have the first pick in the draft following a last minute-win for Houston over Indianapolis.

The Houston Texans finish the 2022 season 3-13-1 after winning at Indianapolis 32-31. Houston will get the No. 1 Draft Pick in the 2023 Draft after if the Texans lost at the Indianapolis Colts or if the Chicago Bears won against the Minnesota Vikings. What happened in the end? Houston won, and Chicago lost. The big moment was when the Texans found the end zone late followed by going for two. This put the Texans up for good 32-31. Texan fans wanted Houston to lose to secure the 1st overall draft pick, but the Texans themselves played to win. At least this is something to work towards the 2023 season.

Up next for the Houston Texans... the 2023 NFL Draft! The Texans have a lot of messes to try to clean up in the offseason. Hopefully the Texans can clean up these messes to finally have a decent season. It will NOT be an overnight fix, I can assure you. Chicago will have the top overall draft pick in th 2023 NFL Draft, and Houston will have the second overall draft pick.

Well, I won't be watching any further football until the Super Bowl. Congratulations to all of today's winners! Congratulations also to all who made the playoffs this season! Better luck next season to those who didn't make it to the postseason.

Another Damar update. He continues to make remarkable progress. His charity now stands at over $8,000,000. The NFL is allowing the following tributes to Damar:
67486AA7-31CD-437F-AE70-8C2876FFFFE7.png

Personally, I’m a Seahawks fan. I’m realistic, but I can still hope. I’m listening to the game against the Rams on the radio right now. And I’m rooting for the Lions against the Packers. We need that Packers loss to make the playoffs.
EDIT: And the ‘Hawks score again. Now up 6-3.

Detroit beat the Packers which gets Seattle into the post season. The Lions started 1-6 and finished 8-2 for a winning season record. That’s one hell of a turn around.

Last edited:
Detroit beat the Packers which gets Seattle into the post season. The Lions started 1-6 and finished 8-2 for a winning season record. That’s one hell of a turn around.
I was cheering for them so hard tonight too. I really hope they go on a tear next season and make it to the playoffs, they are a solid squad who only got better as the season went along, which is what you try and do, right? I don't think they'll beat the Vikings next year, but they should get a Wild Card.

Speaking of Vikings, I knew we'd be playing them (again). We hung in there last time with them, and even though we lost, I felt really good about how we played. I still don't think we will win against the Vikings, but I sure as **** hope we do!

Jerome

Even though the Lions didn't make the playoffs, the season turned out really well. First winning season in like five years, beat the Packers twice, went 5-1 in the NFC North, draft picks were solid, and won meaningful road games. This is not the same old Lions people have ragged on for decades and I really do think they're turning a corner. I don't think they're a Super Bowl contending team yet, but I do think they'll be NFC North contenders next season.

It's a shame they lost some of the earlier games as they did too. Had they been able to pull out a win, then they'd be the ones who'd get steamrolled by SF next week. But it didn't work out that way. They could've beaten the Eagles, Bills, and Vikings and should've beaten the Seahawks. They also should've beaten Carolina. The Dallas and Pats games were busts though, but every team poops the bed from time to time so I really don't hold that against them.

I'm also going to be heartbroken if they don't resign Jamaal Williams. That man is an NFL treasure and I'm really happy he beat Barry's record last night because he completed my parlay and won me $250.

Oh and Hutchinson saying THE University of Michigan during the intros last night was...chef's kiss.

The 2022 NFL Season now has its Postseason set! Congratulations to all teams to made it this far! Only one of the 14 qualified teams will have a chance to become Champions and hoist the Lombardi Trophy at Super Bowl LVII in Glendale, Arizona, USA. With Arizona failing to make the postseason, this breaks up back-to-back Super Bowls where the home team's stadium for a Super Bowl will not get to play there to be champs.

Here are your Playoff Qualifiers (in order by seeding):

--- AFC ---
KC Chiefs, BUF Bills, CIN Bengals, JAX Jaguars, LAC Chargers, BAL Ravens, MIA Dolphins

--- NFC ---
PHI Eagles, SF 49ers, MIN Vikings, TB Buccaneers, DAL Cowboys, NYG Giants, SEA Seahawks

The Wild Card matches go like this:

--- AFC ---
  • BUF Bills at MIA Dolphins <- winner gets KC Chiefs in Divisional Round
  • CIN Bengals at BAL Ravens
  • JAX Jaguars at LAC Chargers

--- NFC ---
  • SF 49ers at SEA Seahawks <- winner gets PHI Eagles in Divisional Round
  • MIN Vikings at NYG Giants
  • TB Buccaneers at DAL Cowboys

The Postseason madness begins this Saturday (January 14). Enjoy the Playoffs!

Last edited:
Even though the Lions didn't make the playoffs, the season turned out really well. First winning season in like five years, beat the Packers twice, went 5-1 in the NFC North, draft picks were solid, and won meaningful road games. This is not the same old Lions people have ragged on for decades and I really do think they're turning a corner. I don't think they're a Super Bowl contending team yet, but I do think they'll be NFC North contenders next season.

It's a shame they lost some of the earlier games as they did too. Had they been able to pull out a win, then they'd be the ones who'd get steamrolled by SF next week. But it didn't work out that way. They could've beaten the Eagles, Bills, and Vikings and should've beaten the Seahawks. They also should've beaten Carolina. The Dallas and Pats games were busts though, but every team poops the bed from time to time so I really don't hold that against them.

I'm also going to be heartbroken if they don't resign Jamaal Williams. That man is an NFL treasure and I'm really happy he beat Barry's record last night because he completed my parlay and won me $250.

Oh and Hutchinson saying THE University of Michigan during the intros last night was...chef's kiss.
Didn't they fire their defensive backs coach early during that losing streak? I seem to remember somebody getting let go when they were giving up a ton of points.

Didn't they fire their defensive backs coach early during that losing streak? I seem to remember somebody getting let go when they were giving up a ton of points.
Yup, Aubrey Pleasant. He was fired after the Dolphins game because he supposedly ignored the game plan. After that, the Lions only lost two games. Everyone thought he was a sacrificial lamb and was only fired because someone had to be fired, but weirdly, he really was the problem.

Funny enough, Green Bay hired him to be its offensive consultant.

As you're probably aware, my Houston Texans finished the season 3-13-1 and fired Lovie Smith. I was actually pretty excited for the Texans under the wing of Lovie Smith. We won every Preseason game (not that it matters). Then... the regular season happened. Loss after loss after loss, and the Texans became incredibly inept. Most of the Texans' undoing was a combination of the fallout involving DeShaun Watson and that miserable Playoffs beat down at Kansas City after leading the first quarter 21-0. Oh, and also that Bill O'Brien guy whom I'll never forgive.

Most people are incredibly unhappy with how the team has progressed between 2020 and now. People can complain at me all they want about this past weekend, but even if my Texans had to lose one last time just to lock up a first-overall draft pick, I am NOT cool with wanting my beloved team to lose even if the season is a lost cause. It is as if to say, "your team isn't going to the postseason, so why bother trying to win again this season?" The only time I'll be okay with losing is if my team makes the postseason and rests their starters to make their postseason run. The players still want to win even if management want to lock up a top draft pick. This is good for the players because they want to show they can win on any given weekend even in a disappointing season. But no- this is a team that is a combined 11-38-1 these past three seasons. For you baseball fans on GTPlanet, how do you think I felt when my Houston Astros had three-straight 100-loss seasons? NOW look at them- basically carrying Houston sports while the Texans and Rockets (and even the Dynamo) consistently fail.

It will not be an overnight fix for the Houston Texans to return to their winning form. It may not even be this offseason for which the Texans will turn things around and get back to being a decent, contending team. Many think the team should be sold or that upper management should be fired. We'll have our fourth straight season with a new head coach this upcoming 2023 season, and we've been through five coaches since 2020. The team needs to improve, and the coaching has to be more consistent and more stable. Otherwise, the Texans will continually be screwed until they finally get it right.

Extended rant over, but I'm hellishly upset at my Texans the past few years. Lots of things need to change for this team to ever be a contender again.

Back